The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

On 11/16/2019 at 5:09 PM, ilduce39 said:

I agree what she said wasn’t cool - you can’t vocalize your generalization of a group (even rich, white hockey boys) based on your own experience.  Especially not on TV.

My point would be that her situation is a nothingburger and huge reach to compare it to Cherry who is national news and a worthwhile discussion topic.  She’s also paid to give her (even crappy) opinion on social issues and he’s supposed to keep it in the realm of hockey. 

Protesting the firing of Cherry by trying to get someone else fired is pure hypocrisy.  No reach needed.  

The finger pointing could go back and forth forever thanks to this now being labeled as a “Cherry vs Trudeau and CTV’s the Social” - what a silly spin.  Only on Putin’s internet. That’s what grinds my gears  the most - more tenuous whattaboutisms.

Haven't had a lot of time to reply ...

But I couldn't disagree more about her situation is nothing. National exposure is national exposure. I'd also say daytime hits more mainstream viewers with potentially greater influence.

I also believe her influence is much more dangerous, divisive, cognitively biased, manipulative and hostile than Cherry. Normalizing her negative hostile behavior under self-righteousness and sactimony inspires others to be the same.

And the applause of the audience is an audio trigger to a listener that people agree with her. What's truly dangerous about that is the talk show manipulates the audience to clap and conditions them to do so as fun participation.

That's hardly nothing. In fact, it's something that most people don't think of but it has a huge impact on a psychological level. 

She's a D-list left agenda-pushing talking head given A-list airtime. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

I have a lot of respect for Don Cherry simply because the man has a bigger backbone than most people do and Is Willing to take a stand. Do you think he knows he's going to take flack when he says something ? 

He's 85 people.  How many people in this industry last that long. 

Not saying I always agree with him but the man has guts .

I will miss the man . 

• Cheers 1

I'm just curious about one thing here....for all of those who are saying they're "glad" Cherry is off the air:

Did you tune in during the first intermission on Saturday? Will you continue to do so, now that Grapes won't be on?

Or are you just glad that the people who like watching Coaches Corner will no longer be able to?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Cherry getting fired by snowflakes is just ridiculous.   I respect the right of people to give their opinions....  free speech etc. 

He should have gotten fired for poor ratings as the guy has not had an original hockey thought for the last 20 years.. I change the channel the minute i see him about to appear..

He is like my drunk uncle...  just less entertaining....

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Cherry getting fired by snowflakes is just ridiculous.   I respect the right of people to give their opinions....  free speech etc. 

He should have gotten fired for poor ratings as the guy has not had an original hockey thought for the last 20 years.. I change the channel the minute i see him about to appear..

The reason he got fired was BS. But I’d say he definitely should have retired about 10 years ago. He just kind of rambled on about useless facts from 40+ years ago in most cases.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Now we're removing "midget" from "midget hockey."

Be careful what you wish for with all of this sensitive, soft talk, you fools. Give it an inch and it'll be taken a mile. 

Next on the list: Black Friday. 

We should start a new thread of things that need to be changed so they are “PC”.....I’ll start us off.....

Manwich aka Sloppy Joe’s becomes Personwich aka Sloppy Pat’s or Chris’s

Manhole cover becomes Personhole cover....

I don't like what Cherry said, and I do think he let his personal prejudices get the better of him.

But I don't inherently think he is a racist or a hater... I think he is a guy who lets himself get swayed by emotion... he probably saw some immigrants without poppies and assumed all immigrants don't buy poppies.

He has shown that once he actually meets people and gets a chance to know them, he can change.

I particularly think of his relationship with the Canadian Women's Ice Hockey team.... back in the day he was a bit of a knuckle dragger re. women's rights.

But once he met the Women's team, and actually got a chance to talk to Hayley Wickenheiser and Cassie Campbell, he quickly changed his tune and became one of their biggest boosters... even at one stage where the Men lost, (Italy Olympics) praised the Women's team by saying:  "... at least we can be sure one Canadian Ice Hockey Team always comes through with the Gold."

There is also the fact he is partly senile and doesn't remember a lot... loses track of his thoughts, etc.  Basically the guy does not always have a clear idea before he talks.... and that was where the weasel Ron Maclean was supposed to be the guy who stopped him saying something stupid.

But the weasel sat there and let me say it... did nothing.

Sure it was time Cherry was gone... but that weasel should be fired with him.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Snowflakes are really bullies in disguise when you think about it.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, redhdlois said:

We should start a new thread of things that need to be changed so they are “PC”.....I’ll start us off.....

Manwich aka Sloppy Joe’s becomes Personwich aka Sloppy Pat’s or Chris’s

Manhole cover becomes Personhole cover....

I overreacted and I usually don't. This is the power of the media. They deliberately distort or mislead and I fell victim to it this time like how so many think Don Cherry was only blasting immigrants. Hockey Canada is revising all names to something more practical which I actually agree with. Of course the media only stated in their headlines (midget) was being replaced with a friendlier name .. which to most headline readers would imply this is being done for PC reasons. 

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Be careful what you wish for with all of this sensitive, soft talk, you fools. Give it an inch and it'll be taken a mile. 

What Friday? What are you insinuating? HOW DARE YOU! Bla…...Ermagerd!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Considering the very concept of Black Friday is ridiculous, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it was just gotten rid of entirely.