The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

1 hour ago, apollo said:

I used to not be a fan because it seemed like the guy had a screw or two loose... But at the end of the day he's one of the few entertaining guys left with Rogers. 

As an immigrant I have absolutely no problem with what he said. He's passionate and he wanted to raise more awareness for donations to vets. 

No reason to watch HNIC anymore. Thank God for streaming... I'll take the US broadcasts over Roger's any day of the week. 

Its really a shame he gets fired for standing up for the men that fought for our freedom. 

What a joke. I already had 0 respect for Roger's, can't really go any lower than this. 

Except he didn't get fired for standing up for the men that fought for our freedom. You're very obviously twisting the situation.

He got fired for unnecessarily bashing and speaking down to those who showed no disrespect towards the men that fought for our freedom. The idea that it's disrespectful to not wear a poppy is ignorant enough, but to single out "you people" that "come here and love our way of life" (which clearly means immigrants unless you're choosing to believe otherwise) is as bad as it gets for a TV vet. 

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Left wing, mamby pamby tree hugger SJWs, who are full of hypocrisy, are turning our great country into porridge.  Don Cherry didn’t single out anyone.  He said, “you people”.  That’s ALL OF US who live the comfortable lives we do.  I’ve said the same thing here on a number of occasions.  We are ALL hypocrites, so stop preaching about how terrible one man is, and improve yourself.  Give up your cell phones, only eat locally produced foods, and go to a military graveyard and take care of one man’s plot.  

I just hope CDC doesn’t follow the same path of self righteousness, and start banning posters who don’t quite fit the mould.  

Is this a young people vs old people thing?  

I find this ^^^^  extremely disappointing coming from you, Alf. Whether you truly do believe this or are simply trying to stir the pot, it's extremely disappointing from someone who I'd come to respect in sharing a laugh or two. :(

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, rekker said:

Exactly. Don is a great Canadian, proud of his country and would defend it to the death. He's just outdated in his methods and well past his prime. He should of been let go a 10 to 15 years ago already. I feel for him as his reputation will now be mud. He's done a lot of great things on air and used his segment to bring awareness to some great causes. Just an unfortunate ending for a confused old man. 

No doubt their are 100s of vets who feel the same way.

people should sit next to a breakfast group of vets sometime.

10 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I agree. And definitely do not like the outrage culture... As for profit margins that one will always be the case and I may be a tad bias in that regard.

Oh, I'm very capitalist, I meant specifically profit margins based on wokeness. As in companies trying to be woke and afraid of the outrage mob themselves. Not margins in general, as decided on by whats intrinsically popular or not. Sorry if I wasn't super clear on that one. =)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Far Right extremists are there too bitching about why we're not back in the 1950's in a Leave it to Beaver lifestyle. 

Extremes are bad on both sides. 

They don't own the media or dominate entire news cycles, or have representatives who push their ideals into law, either.

Far left insanity has become a real problem, and it is 1,000,000x more prevalent than anything from the right.

PC authoritarianism has become ubiquitous with culture.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don didn’t mention race.  The hypocritical SJWs are spinning Don’s words. They are the thought police.  Be careful what you say, because the hypocritical SJWs will determine through their divine powers what you were thinking when you spoke.  

They're the arbiters of morality. The all knowing ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cerridwen said:

I find this ^^^^  extremely disappointing coming from you, Alf. Whether you truly do believe this or are simply trying to stir the pot, it's extremely disappointing from someone who I'd come to respect in sharing a laugh or two. :(

I would think on a topic this divisive that this is how he feels. Not sure why anyone would try and stir the pot on this. This is showing a lot of peoples true colours.

• Cheers 1

He goes on the same rant every year about how nobody buys poppies and this year he decided to point out how immigrants aren't buying poppies. If you watched HNIC you know how hypocritical his rambling was. You can tell he is annoyed at two things one nobody is buying poppies and two immigrants. He should have been cut off by Maclean but I think Maclean knew if he did Don would have gone on an even more racist rant. So he just tried to sweep it under the rug.

23 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

He's a beyond Boomer, did we even have names for generations before then? Or was it all just the "horse and plough" generation before the Boomers. 

Actually there were/are...  Great Generation (WW2),  Silent Generation (ironically that would be Cherry),  Baby Boom Generation,

Generation X,  Millennial Generation and so on.  But then there's more even...

Which Generation are You?

Generation Name Births
Start
Births
End
Youngest
Age Today*
Oldest Age
Today*
The Lost Generation
The Generation of 1914
1890 1915 104 129
The Interbellum Generation 1901 1913 106 118
The Greatest Generation 1910 1924 95 109
The Silent Generation 1925 1945 74 94
Baby Boomer Generation 1946 1964 55 73
Generation X (Baby Bust) 1965 1979 40 54
Xennials 1975 1985 34 44
Millennials
Generation Y, Gen Next
1980 1994 25 39
iGen / Gen Z 1995 2012 7 24
Gen Alpha 2013 2025 1 6

I haven't been a fan of DC for a couple or more decades, so I won't miss him.  Wish they would shuffle Ron out the door as well.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

No, he wasn't. You think Ron and Sportsnet et al apologized because he was singling out city people? Alrighty then...

So you and the SJWs have divine powers now?  You can determine Cherry’s thoughts?  You can divine my thoughts?  

This is through my divine power a fight between the youth (me generation) and the old (those who believe they built this country) generation.  Don Cherry is a figure head for the old.  He’s the target of the youth’s anger for their current comfortable lives being disrupted by older folk telling them to be thankful.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I actually don't think it necessarily has anything to do with race. It's anti-immigration, whether a Muslim coming from Syria or a Catholic coming from Ukraine, Don doesn't want ya. 

He's always been anti-anythingnotCanadian, and that kind of isolationist, nationalistic POV is not a great message to be broadcasting.

Edit: he said "You people that come here." Not a lot of digging needs to go into what he meant.

He also said today he meant what he said. 

Edited by awalk
  • Upvote 2