The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Kovalchuk done in LA?

HerrDrFunk

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's a shame he chose to sign with LA, had he signed out east he'd likely have found success. He's a talented guy and was one of the most consistent players of his generation prior to his retirement in Jersey. Hell, he was extremely productive in the KHL too. LA was trending down before he got there and their style of play never really matched the game he's always liked to play. 

What is his playing style and is there any future left for him in North America?

13 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

What is his playing style and is there any future left for him in North America?

Ilya's always been a goal scorer, that's his calling card. But he's historically had good hands and passing ability. He's big at 6'3" and used to have blazing speed but he's slowed with age. In spite of his size he's not a gritty, physical player though he's certainly capable of throwing a hit. When he initially retired he was exactly a point per game if I remember correctly. I'm no LA fan so I can't comment on his defensive play but I recall him being a regular pk'er for the Devils. 

He's a shooter, though his current stats don't indicate that. He's historically been a skill guy, so in order to get the most out of him he'd probably have to be played in a top 6 role. His future depends on where he wants to go, he's got a NMC and controls his destiny whether LA plays him or not. He's also got a 35+ contract so LA's currently stuck with his cap hit even if he decides to say &^@# the NHL and retire again. He'd probably do fine on a more talented team. The key would be expecting an older Iyla Kovalchuk and not what he was during his prime. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, mll said:

He has an age 35+ contract.  Even if he retires or they buy him out in June, his full cap hit of 6.25 will still count against the cap.  If he retires they can try and trade the contract like Detroit did with Datsyuk.  In case of a buyout the full cap hit will stay on the books like Marleau in Carolina.

Hopefully... but LA has got out of deals in very shady manner in the past. 

Like Mike Richards... they somehow vetod the 5 years at $5,750,000 the year he had 16 points in 53 games. He was an extremely negative asset that they somehow just got full off the books.... because he crossed the border with pills?! 

8 minutes ago, apollo said:

Hopefully... but LA has got out of deals in very shady manner in the past. 

Like Mike Richards... they somehow vetod the 5 years at $5,750,000 the year he had 16 points in 53 games. He was an extremely negative asset that they somehow just got full off the books.... because he crossed the border with pills?! 

Hmmm. Maybe I should smuggle pills into LE's suitcase for the next road trip!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's a shame he chose to sign with LA, had he signed out east he'd likely have found success. He's a talented guy and was one of the most consistent players of his generation prior to his retirement in Jersey. Hell, he was extremely productive in the KHL too. LA was trending down before he got there and their style of play never really matched the game he's always liked to play. 

he probably felt like he was signing on the L.A team that beat his NJ Devils back in 2012.  Huge mistake Ovy, but I guess he wanted to come to california.  dude is done.

Last season was producing  .5 points per game,.  This season on pace for the same.

The first 2 seasons of many where this player has not produced an avg. of 1. ppg or more ..

I get he is getting older, but he at least is contributing..    compared to L Eriksson, Ilya is a usable vet..  might look good in Ottawa for a season and then a buy out?

Edited by SilentSam

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Last season was producing.  .5 points per game,.  This season on pace for the same.

The first 2 seasons of many where this player has not produced an avg. of 1. ppg or more ..

I get he is getting older, but he at least is contributing..    compared to L Eriksson, Ilya is a usable vet..  might look good in Ottawa for a season and then a buy out?

dude wasted 6 years in the KHL.  Just like Raduolov. I don't know why these guys would do that, now he is washed up

45 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

he probably felt like he was signing on the L.A team that beat his NJ Devils back in 2012.  Huge mistake Ovy, but I guess he wanted to come to california.  dude is done.

It's possible, maybe location and dollar amount combined with losing to those guys made the decision. It's a shame though, he'd have done well somewhere like Tampa if he'd been willing to take less. Hell, he probably could have had success with Philly too. 

34 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

dude wasted 6 years in the KHL.  Just like Raduolov. I don't know why these guys would do that, now he is washed up

I don’t doubt that Russian “politics” is a factor that faces a lot of the players that come from there..  The “freedoms” we enjoy as North Americans are not the same, and “persuasion” is a real fear and threat.

Kovalchuk has a NMC so they can't waive him.  He still counts against the 23 player roster even if he is not around the team.  

McLellan at the end of October: "This trip was good because it let us know that there are some players that probably can't play in the league right now, so maybe we'll have to make some changes...".   

That contract was way too big the moment it was signed.

He is still a legit NHL player, but is the kind of guy that should have been on a $2 million, 1 year contract to a contending team where he can just be extra depth.

I would trade him for Eriksson in a heartbeat, but I don’t see LA doing that without a decent sweetener.

He still has his wheels, it would be interesting to see him on a line with Horvat and Miller who are good defensively.  We are still in need of 1-2 more top six wingers.