The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 12, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Couldn't watch the game so stats might be wrong - but Baertschi-Pearson were credited with 0 seconds together at 5v5.  They played together only on the PP but never at EV.  Baertschi played 2 minutes with Gaudette but it was Miller on the other wing per the game notes.  Pearson was playing with Virtanen.

They played a 2nd unit pp together and they had a rush during a broken line change 5 on 5 . Only a glimpse but Baer and Gaudette had chemistry in pre season . 

8 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

its hard when they are sheltering Petey in taking only o-zone draws and Gaudette not being good in the faceoff dot.

Horvat is the only capable guy who can win faceoffs.  Petey primarily takes only o-zone draws but a lot of the faceoffs ended up in the d-zone.  Gaudette was 29% in the dot.  needs to be better to get more time on ice.

Heck.. no wonder Bo looks a tad slow out there sometimes the guy is being used as a serious workhorse. Cant they just put him out for faceoffs and go for a quick change to manage his minutes better? Sutter and Beagle are super key. I though Miller could take draws too?

33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Both came on broken plays. Definitely wasn’t drawn up.

His strategy appears to be pass it around until a perfect shot or back door pass opens up.

Shot and a rebound is all you need.

The Gaudette goal was exactly that.

Much better game... with the team being much more creative and scoring off the rush... including on the PP.

That is the way this team needs to play... they need to use their speed, get creative allow their shooters to get good opportunities without a forward and a D trying to block them... which what happens when the PP is static.

Another superlative game by Petey... he just has to get those open ice opportunities to bury it.  That is why the team needs to play a rush based game... they need to avoid the static situations where an opposition D-Man can get his stick on the shot.

Nice to see Pearson score... he is a good man to have the puck on his stick... he is a reliable scorer... but he has not been getting the opportunities... hopefully more will come.

Thought Baertschi's game improved again.... each game he is getting better.  He had several good chances and was responsible for Gaudette's goal... think that was a pass to Gaudette.  Gaudette also had a good game... was involved and shooting from everywhere... shooting is good.  B)

Demko had a great game and deserved the win... he is proving to be exactly what the Canucks hoped for.  I still do not think he is as good as Marky... couple of the Preds goals he lost the net.  But overall he was fighting and focused.

But of course, we can't talk about this game without talking about Canuck Luck... 

What a pain to lose Sutter... and I dread to think its another sports hernia...  :picard:

Combine that with Beagle being missing and the Canucks former supremacy in the faceoff dot has disappeared... lets hope both are back soon.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Toyotasfan said:

They played a 2nd unit pp together and they had a rush during a broken line change 5 on 5 . Only a glimpse but Baer and Gaudette had chemistry in pre season . 

Pearson was not on the ice per the game stats - he has zero time with Baertschi other than on the PP.   Baertschi played 2 minutes with Gaudette and it was Miller on the other wing per the stat keepers.

Baertschi-Gaudette did have chemistry in pre-season.  Gaudette made the comment that they know where they are on the ice.  

51 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Horvat was a freaking horse in the faceoff.  Stayed on the ice for the final 2:12 of the third taking 5 faceoffs. going 3 for 2.

With Sutter and Beags out, he is going to be leaned on heavily to take faceoffs.  Not sure TG trusts Petey and Gauds in the faceoff dot.

If they are out long, look for Miller to move to the middle on the third line and be on be PK2. Until tonight, Miller has taken the majority of the first line faceoffs, I suspect to preserve Petey's left wrist and hand.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Pearson was not on the ice per the game stats - he has zero time with Baertschi other than on the PP.   Baertschi played 2 minutes with Gaudette and it was Miller on the other wing per the stat keepers.

Baertschi-Gaudette did have chemistry in pre-season.  Gaudette made the comment that they know where they are on the ice.  

If Sutter is gone, then I think Gaudette should center the 3rd line with Baertschi one of his wingers.

Better to keep JT Miller as a winger in the top six.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, mll said:

If that's the case I don't mind that combo, and make either Leivo or Virtanen as the third member of that line. In fact Leivo and Virtanen could be switched between this line and the Horvat-Pearson line. 

10 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Heck.. no wonder Bo looks a tad slow out there sometimes the guy is being used as a serious workhorse. Cant they just put him out for faceoffs and go for a quick change to manage his minutes better? Sutter and Beagle are super key. I though Miller could take draws too?

My thoughts exactly. He's versatile and should be able to help Bo out with faceoffs. Schaller can play C and capable of taking draws as well.

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I stand by what I said.  Generated some chances, played a simple game, and worked hard in the offensive zone.

Much rather Miller on the first line.  I felt like even with the goal the Pettersson line wasn’t that good and they’re absolutely dominant when Miller is on that line.

• Upvote 2