The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Roberto Luongo joins Panthers front office

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's Hall of Famer Gary Bettman's fault, not Luongo.  Luongo just took the money and ran like anyone else would have.

No one blames Luongo for signing the contract in the first place. It was signed in good faith at the time. 

It's literally the rest of it that people are bitter about it. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

There were a lot of people suggesting Lou had a gentleman's agreement with FLA to retire, and they would hire him on in management to pay him the money owed in a roundabout (cap circumventing) way.  No way should the league allow this.  

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

They're not going to pay an advisor anywhere near that kind of scratch.  It's a way to show prospective future players that the club is loyal to players who are loyal to the club.

The Sabres (and Bills for that matter) are famous for doing this.  They even still have Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas on the payroll as "ambassadors".  Neither has been on the field for over 20 years.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's Hall of Famer Gary Bettman's fault, not Luongo.  Luongo just took the money and ran like anyone else would have.

Not if Lou knew ahead of time this pseudo management position was coming, and he would be getting his 3 million, just in a different way.  This smells bad, and it's on the league to ferret out the truth.  I hope Aquilini is all over this, and pushes for his own investigation.  There is always a paper (email, text whatever) trail in these cases.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There were a lot of people suggesting Lou had a gentleman's agreement with FLA to retire, and they would hire him on in management to pay him the money owed in a roundabout (cap circumventing) way.  No way should the league allow this.  

Lol! C'mon Alf...

There is nothing remotely resembling cap circumvention here.

I'll agree with @HerrDrFunk that we Canuck fans have a right to be angry at the league for changing the rules AFTER the fact, but getting mad at Lou and/or The Panthers is a little beneath us, no?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

No one blames Luongo for signing the contract in the first place. It was signed in good faith at the time. 

If I didn't spend hours on CDC after Luongo was traded telling everyone what was going to happen, I'd actually have sympathy.  There was no way he'd hold up the length of that contract.

Everyone kept saying that the Canucks would "sue the league".  That response was laughable and of course just turned out to be a fanbase fantasy.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, babych said:

Lol! C'mon Alf...

There is nothing remotely resembling cap circumvention here.

I'll agree with @HerrDrFunk that we Canuck fans have a right to be angry at the league for changing the rules AFTER the fact, but getting mad at Lou and/or The Panthers is a little beneath us, no?

Love Lou, and his great work for our team, and his funny Tweets.  However, this hire smells of cap circumvention.  A player, who could certainly go on LTIR (hip issues) decides to retire, which allows the Panthers more cap room, and the chance to bring in Goalie Bob.  Then missing on 3 million owed Lou is hired on in a management role.  The dots connect.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not if Lou knew ahead of time this pseudo management position was coming, and he would be getting his 3 million, just in a different way.  This smells bad, and it's on the league to ferret out the truth.  I hope Aquilini is all over this, and pushes for his own investigation.  There is always a paper (email, text whatever) trail in these cases.  

The Panthers can't afford 3 million to an "advisor".  They can't even afford to ice the team that they're icing.  That's why Canadians' tickets are the most expensive in the league.  You guys have to subsidize cash-poor teams like Florida.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love Lou, and his great work for our team, and his funny Tweets.  However, this hire smells of cap circumvention.  A player, who could certainly go on LTIR (hip issues) decides to retire, which allows the Panthers more cap room, and the chance to bring in Goalie Bob.  Then missing on 3 million owed Lou is hired on in a management role.  The dots connect.  

But how does that make it cap circumvention? Lou retired, as is/was his right...

We might not like it, but it's certainly not cap circumvention.

Edited by babych
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Why wouldn't he want to give the Panthers more cap room?  That it came at the expense of Vancouver wasn't his problem.  He didn't leave under the best of circumstances.

• Cheers 1

Don’t care about the money he got.. Care a little bit about the cap hit the nucks are saddled with... Mainly what bugs me was when he was talking shiz about Thomas and the Bruins and couldn’t back it up that series. Now if I were him I’d be embarrassed.... Yes hella rich but embarrassed.

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

2 minutes ago, babych said:

But how does that make it cap circumvention? Lou retired, as is/was his right...

But why did he retire instead of going on long term injury?  He had known health/hip issues and was not capable of playing any longer.  So he retires?  Only reason not to go on long term injury is so he can help out his new employer who happens to be in the same league and business as the team he leaves hanging - to his new employers  advantage. Call it what you want.  I call it collusion and fraud.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Sorry I didn't respond to this quicker.  After getting hit with a bunch of notifications I just now came across this one.

People are bitter because Luongo looked out for himself and his "home" club at the expense of the club that has a shaky history with their goaltenders.

I don't like that the extra cap hit has cost the Canucks what a decent free-agent would cost in the run-up to this year's likely return to the playoffs, but anybody with a lick of sense saw it coming from a mile away the day that he was sent to Florida.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Borvat said:

But why did he retire instead of going on long term injury?  He had known health/hip issues and was not capable of playing any longer.  So he retires?  Only reason not to go on long term injury is so he can help out his new employer who happens to be in the same league and business as the team he leaves hanging - to his new employers  advantage. Call it what you want.  I call it collusion and fraud.

It may be collusion but it's not fraud. Here's the thing - Lou is allowed to retire and doesn't have to give any justification for doing so. So what if he has an agreement to go work for Florida? He was under no obligation to do the Canucks any favours and likely wanted to not delay his post-hockey career.

As mentioned earlier - get mad at Bettman if you're going to be mad at anyone.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

He quit on this team and for that I have no respect for him.  Hope that franchise folds.

It'll move to Quebec shortly after Bettman retires.  Then the Phoenix/Miami experiment will finally be put out of the hockey world's misery.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, babych said:

It may be collusion but it's not fraud. Here's the thing - Lou is allowed to retire and doesn't have to give any justification for doing so. So what if he has an agreement to go work for Florida? He was under no obligation to do the Canucks any favours and likely wanted to not delay his post-hockey career.

he would have made more money if he was put on LTIR, luongo is clearly helping the panthers

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, babych said:

Lou makes his own decisions.  He knew the consequences of his decision.  He was unable to play any longer. He made his choice.  I made mine.  I am not mad at him.  I am just calling the situation from my perspective. I choose to see it from the Canucks situation over Luongo and the Panthers.  Bettman isn't worth the energy.

image.png.7a4d8617b0865046ca550e105e1c4d60.png

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Sorry I didn't respond to this quicker.  After getting hit with a bunch of notifications I just now came across this one.

People are bitter because Luongo looked out for himself and his "home" club at the expense of the club that has a shaky history with their goaltenders.

I don't like that the extra cap hit has cost the Canucks what a decent free-agent would cost in the run-up to this year's likely return to the playoffs, but anybody with a lick of sense saw it coming from a mile away the day that he was sent to Florida.

I don’t think it’d be fair to ask Lu to look out for the Canucks ahead of the Panthers. However, just because Lu acted in his best interest, doesn’t mean there aren’t going to be raw feelings about it from Canucks fans. 

As to your other post about suing, I’m still baffled as to why Benning didn’t try. Maybe the league threatened reprisal if they did but outside of that, he shouldn’t have rolled over like that.

Edited by HerrDrFunk