The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Roberto Luongo joins Panthers front office

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

he would have made more money if he was put on LTIR, luongo is clearly helping the panthers

Sure - but he's under no obligation to ask to go on LTIR.

3 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Lou makes his own decisions.  He knew the consequences of his decision.  He was unable to play any longer. He made his choice.  I made mine.  I am not mad at him.  I am just calling the situation from my perspective. I choose to see it from the Canucks situation over Luongo and the Panthers.  Bettman isn't worth the energy.

image.png.7a4d8617b0865046ca550e105e1c4d60.png

Again - not fraud. Faking an injury to get cap relief is fraud. Lou retired and the teams were both assessed the cap penalty as per the CBA. After Lou retired he is free to seek employment anywhere he wants.

Does it suck for us? Of course. Is it illegal? Nope.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if Luongo would've been invited to participate in the home opener to celebrate the 50th, if he didn't financially screw the Canucks. Some people want to retire this guy's jersey? Nervy of him years ago to complain and say his contract sucks. Does it really Lu?

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if Luongo would've been invited to participate in the home opener to celebrate the 50th, if he didn't financially screw the Canucks. Some people want to retire this guy's jersey? Nervy of him years ago to complain and say his contract sucks. Does it really Lu?

I suspect the jersey retirement will not happen at this point. He's a Panther who mercenaried for us for an insane contract for a few years, then **cked off back home when he wasn't as good as his backup anymore. Who got traded. And then wasn't as good as his next backup at the time either.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, babych said:

Sure - but he's under no obligation to ask to go on LTIR.

Again - not fraud. Faking an injury to get cap relief is fraud. Lou retired and the teams were both assessed the cap penalty as per the CBA. After Lou retired he is free to seek employment anywhere he wants.

Does it suck for us? Of course. Is it illegal? Nope.

Never said it was illegal.  It is wrongful deception.  He was unable to play with known chronic hip problems.  He made his choice.  He did seek employment - with the team that it directly benefited.  I am not asking you to agree just like you have every right to your opinion.  He didn't fake an injury - he chose not to use a real documented one as his reason to stop playing.

13 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don’t think it’d be fair to ask Lu to look out for the Canucks ahead of the Panthers. However, just because Lu acted in his best interest, doesn’t mean there aren’t going to be raw feelings about it from Canucks fans. 

As to your other post about suing, I’m still baffled as to why Benning didn’t try. Maybe the league threatened reprisal if they did but outside of that, he shouldn’t have rolled over like that.

It's for the same reasons that I said back then.  Mostly because the Canucks agreed to the change in the rules that came with compliance buyouts, and partially because they'd be suing their own business partners which isn't worth the long-term blowback especially when there's 30 of them that will try and nudge you out for it.

I just realized that I actually did respond to you earlier/quicker.  That's what I get for multi-tasking/answering phone calls while typing...  :lol:

As for raw feelings, I'm not going to even pretend I'm more balanced.  I'm still salty with Danny Briere and Chris Drury after over a decade.  I'll likely hold that grudge until the grave.  Theirs or mine, whichever comes first.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

there should be a luongo jersey burning night to celebrate him

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Ummmm, the league approved and filed the deal when it was signed.  How exactly is that trying to cheat the system?  Please explain? 

Technically what the Canucks and others did wasn't against the rules at the time, but it was still cap circumvention (cheating the cap).  The league screwed up by allowing those contracts.  The NHL acknowledged their mistake by giving all teams 2 compliance buyouts.  The Canucks chose not to use their buyout to avoid Luongo's cap-recapture.  It was a gamble that Aquilini chose to take and he lost.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Should the league look into cap circumvention here?  Luongo retires, while injured and still owed 3 million dollars.  Now the Panthers hire him to a pseudo management role, and will likely pay him 3 million dollars.  Hmmmmm.  

my thinking as well alf

though given his history

it is likely to be a 12 year back diving contract

starting at 3 million and diving to 100k in the final season

and he will moan about his bad contract in about 7 years

32 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I don't care so much about the cap recapture as I did when he quit on this team because he couldn't wear his fancy vintage pads for the heritage classic.  Best move Torts did when he was here.  

Torts... I can't hate him, his year got us Jake, Demko and Tryamkin. Plus that freak out vs Calgary was epic. &^@# you Harltey. #freeTorts 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Torts... I can't hate him, his year got us Jake, Demko and Tryamkin. Plus that freak out vs Calgary was epic. &^@# you Harltey. #freeTorts 

Should've kept him for another year and tanked for McJesus lol.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dunno about epic. Unhinged, like a guy who didnt care if he was fired or punished by the league. 

When i think “epic” i think, rally your team to win despite adversity...

not chasing another coach down a hallway yelling like an idiot about something as inconsequential as a face off. 

• Cheers 1