The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Favourite Original 6 team/67 expansion team

burepetterson

No, they all benefited from being in the league such a long time it allowed them to fill their rafters with Cup banners. It was a lot easier to win a Cup when there were only 6 teams.

BOS - no way

CHI - no way

DET - meh

NYR - no way

MTL - I grew up cheering for them, but I was 8 and don't like them today. Hockey was different back in the 70s.

TOR - no way

before the Canucks entered the league, I was a Habs fan. (Big fan of Yvan Cournoyer) My dad cheered for the Leafs, because they were the closest Canadian team.

Montreal became my number 2 team, after the Canucks joined the league, but the attitude of their fans eventually turned me off so much that they're now tied with the Flames as my least favorite Canadian team.

For a few years I didn't have a second team, but that changed when the Islanders drafted Bryan Trottier. (I had played against one of his younger brothers in a Bantam tournament the year before)

I still have a soft spot for the Isles and Trottier is still my all-time favorite player.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

before the Canucks entered the league, I was a Habs fan. (Big fan of Yvan Cournoyer) My dad cheered for the Leafs, because they were the closest Canadian team.

Montreal became my number 2 team, after the Canucks joined the league, but the attitude of their fans eventually turned me off so much that they're now tied with the Flames as my least favorite Canadian team.

For a few years I didn't have a second team, but that changed when the Islanders drafted Bryan Trottier. (I had played against one of his younger brothers in a Bantam tournament the year before)

I still have a soft spot for the Isles and Trottier is still my all-time favorite player.

I agree that attitude of the montreal fans toronto fans boston fans literally rules out 3 of the original 6. Also agree with the guy who said how they were able to increase their banners with 6 teams like the leafs

Canadians- watched them in 2010. That run was some of the most entertaining hockey as Halak played excellent in goal. Also the environment whenever they have a home playoff game is great. 

Red wings- good team to watch in the 2000s. One of my friends dad used to love the red wings so kind of introduced me to hockey. 

Chicago- cheered for them in the 2013 final and 2015 final. Got over our playoff rivalry very quickly as they are an entertaining team to watch. 

Leafs- don't know why never had a interest in them but some of my friends love them as they are from Ontario. My friends had a lot of respect for the Sedins so I kinda respect them too. Fun fact, one time at work we were casually fighting about which team has done better in their history and he said "has Vancouver ever won a cup before? No." and then the whole office was looking at us and one guy jumped in and said "Actually we have won a cup before in 1915 and no your team sucks as of right now". The whole office was laughing and that was the last time he ever said the leafs are better :lol:. His face was priceless as he had no idea we won in 1915. He was quiet for a second while he looked up on his phone whether we won the cup in 1915, cause he thought we were lying. There is one thing that unites us leaf fans and canucks fans though, our hate of Boston. 

Because of this a lot people in the office actually tuned into the final leafs game last year. They were all happy when Boston lost in the finals. 

New York- has to be the most boring team in hockey, even when the canucks play them I don't want to watch. 

Boston- For obvious reasons, I can never support them. Was so happy when Chicago and St Louis beat them in the finals. As much as I hate them, I must admit though, they have a nice goal horn and song with it. 

Edited by Guest

Growing up in London Ontario I was half way between Detroit and Toronto. Spent plenty of time in both cities but certainly love Detroit more. In high school all of my buddies were Leafs fans...then Detroit drafted Yzerman. They became my team. Vancouver was actually my second team when they drafted Linden. I partied in the streets of London after game five, 1994.

Moved to Vancouver in 1997 and the teams roles have reversed since. Shaved my head on a bet for the 1998 Cup win!