The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 14, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

are people putting that loss on marky? did i miss something? i saw a team that could get control of the puck in their own zone. teams that pressure the canucks like that usually wins. we couldn’t own, our own end. our passes weren’t on target and when we dumped the puck in their zone, no one could get in there fast enough to get the puck. 

we just give the puck away, too many times. the team was trying but just weren’t good enough. one to next game. 

I'm just surprised no one has pinned the loss on Loui yet.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Our defensive players have gone down with injuries so what does green do for a game plan....

Blenders the lines and pulls apart our best line, absolutely f$&@ing genius.

what a god damn brain that man has on him

We lost the structure of the team. They could keep the top line together and just get destroyed throughout the rest of the lineup. Miller is to support Gaudette in faceoffs and even up the loss of a hard forecheck from Baertschi. It worked in the last win, but no credit for Green then.

Even before the loss of Sutter and Beagle, the lotto line was cooling off already.

10 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Green sucks

EP on the third line with 2 plugs?

Pathetic coaching gets pathetic results. Why would ANY sane competent coach take his top player and bury him on the third line? 

Terrible I’m having a hard time watching the freaking line blender, seeing Ep40 with leivo and Pearson is sickening. 

If we played a steady top six and played a bit with the bottom I think we would see better overall hockey. 
the people that think even with the injuries we can’t ice two offensive lines are wrong imo. 

miller Petey Boeser

baer Bo Jake 

leave the top six at that for at least 2-3 full games, tired of seeing it change second or third shift out.
Between watching Willie D do this and Green I’ve hD a hard time watching hockey the last serval years. Not out of being a worse team in a rebuild loosing more than we win but the inconsistency of the coaching, for someone who preaches the “consistency” of Jake for example should maybe show his players and line mates some. I think the lotto line and Bo and Jake have been very consistent not even Crosby scores a goal every night. But these five guys are getting chances not all of them fire every night but every night one of them does. We have a top six. 
play leivo with Pearson on Gauds line, let the kid try to be a centre if Sutts is out for half a season we’ll have to make a change if Gauds not keeping pace. He seems to be doing just fine and doesn’t need babysitting. Especially if it means taking offf the best line mate Petey and Boeser have ever had.
Let the young kids play sit Loui for Macewen we need energy on the fourth like when Dorse was there and Rooster. Not a guy who floats keeping his stick in the passing lanes but never his body. Sickening watching this coaching going on. 

They should sit Markstrm for a while and play Demko. Marky let in a couple of bad goals and that early one on the Stars second shot set them back right from the start. And even though Stecher scored, he cost them 2 goals. Injuries are also piling up now. This isn't a playoff team IMO, at this time anyway. Maybe Benning can make some changes at the TDL. Who knows. Avs are next, that should be telling.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I'm not going to over-analyze the powerplay every night. We've got a good powerplay. They're gonna have some nights when they look good, and I mean... there's a reason why 25% is good, and it means you only score one out of four." - Green on the PP

I'm so sick of the coaching staff making excuses for our abysmal pp. There's a difference between not scoring on the pp but still looking sharp on the entry and looking dangerous on the setup/execution but just not being able to find the back of the net... And what we have which is a consistent failure to gain the zone, lack of creativity on the setup(everyone just standing around stagnant). When we do score like the 3 for 3 against Nashville, it was all from broken plays/individual efforts,the power plays still looked awful until then. Our pp percentage has been inflated from a few games where it's connected, but overall it has looked like  pure garbage.

The book is out. Pressure the guy with the puck and watch our guys stand around, fail to string together a couple passes and then watch us breakout with the drop pass when the puck is inevitably sent back down to our zone.

/rant

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Kushman said:

I'm so sick of the coaching staff making excuses for our abysmal pp. There's a difference between not scoring on the pp but still looking sharp on the entry and looking dangerous on the setup/execution but just not being able to find the back of the net... And what we have which is a consistent failure to gain the zone, lack of creativity on the setup(everyone just standing around stagnant). When we do score like the 3 for 3 against Nashville, it was all from broken plays/individual efforts,the power plays still looked awful until then. Our pp percentage has been inflated from a few games where it's connected, but overall it has looked like  pure garbage.

The book is out. Pressure the guy with the puck and watch our guys stand around, fail to string together a couple passes and then watch us breakout with the drop pass when the puck is inevitably sent back down to our zone.

/rant

I agree with you there. W/hen compared to Dallas' PP, they has shown so much movement on their PP and is looking dangerous.   They are never at the same spot, even a set-up in stagnant stage, they would try to move around a bit.  What's more, they doesn't need to do the drop pass zone entry and used only once.   They are mixing things up with zone entry.   Zone entry drop passes is the biggest time waster in the PP especially when they fail to execute.   I caught a glimpse when defenceman is going to retrieve the puck behind the goal, the end zone camera would show the forward after the line change would be in offside position on purpose to gain some speed going back to the neutral zone for some movement in the neutral zone in the second period during the PP.  

Now, to our PP, the drop pass, if Quinn decides to keep the puck toward the goal, the support is so far behind where Dallas easily stop him in his track and no support to retrieve the puck after the dump, they easily get the puck out.   When they set it up, they are the best in the league and looking dangerous but too much passing and lack of movement where they easily stop them or doesn't shoot because no shooting lane has opened up as they are keying on some players is their downfall.  Boeser takes too long to make his decision after receiving the pass from Hughes, easily stop them in their track.  Newell Brown doesn't seem to be encouraging the creativity there even with Petterson whose has showed to be very creative in SHL.  So far, we know that if they are in a stationary position, they are able to pass it around at will but couldn't make some movement and lack of shooting lane opening up and the zone entry is their weakness at the moment.   

• Upvote 1

I think petey is starting to find the range with the one timer.  A few inches either way and his shot last night is a goal and the game has a different outcome.  we need player movement in addition to puck movement as the pk’s Are too good.  Once we are setup it wouldn’t be a bad idea to let Hughes rover a bit to breakdown the d almost like a point guard.  

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

k well this team has returned to earth and they're about where we'd expect them. Not good, not terrible, but just bad enough to miss the playoffs. 

were missing 4 to 5 guys , give the team a break, they played an ok game last night,  can't win them all

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

k well this team has returned to earth and they're about where we'd expect them. Not good, not terrible, but just bad enough to miss the playoffs. 

Well, they were able to hang with the best teams in the league.  They had a tough schedule forcing to give players a day off on Wednesday, not able to practice because of all travelling and needing time to recover.  Had they given an extra day off when they came home, they would have practice before game against Dallas and I can see that they were a bit off.   At this point, in December will be much better schedule and we'll see where they are when they would be able to practice a lot more at home.   If they continue to lose then we can raise the alarm.   

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How did Benning think giving Brown an extension was a good idea?

maybe because we are 7th on the pp and ninth on pk. so in the top ten,  sometimes they are going click and sometimes miss just like all teams

• Upvote 2

I tend to agree with Torts ^^

There are a hundred excuses why they lost, or have been losing. It doesn't matter why. I don;pt know if it's something they can fix. They have some injuries and just don't have good enough players to take over a game against a good team. Pettersson and Boeser are really trying, but they're getting overwhelmed at times. Same with Hughes. I think It'll take 2-3 years before this team is ready to truly compete (contenders), and I suspect they'll have a new coach by then.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How did Benning think giving Brown an extension was a good idea?

1am: Ring Ring 

Benning picks up the phone

Brown: "Jim, I can turn this pp around"

Benning " ok Newell, you've got your extension you've been asking for"

Benning after he wakes up and realizes what he did and has to explain to the media

giphy.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We lost the structure of the team. They could keep the top line together and just get destroyed throughout the rest of the lineup. Miller is to support Gaudette in faceoffs and even up the loss of a hard forecheck from Baertschi. It worked in the last win, but no credit for Green then.

Even before the loss of Sutter and Beagle, the lotto line was cooling off already.

When your ship is sinking you don’t take pieces from other parts of the ship to fill wholes in

45 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I tend to agree with Torts ^^

There are a hundred excuses why they lost, or have been losing. It doesn't matter why. I don;pt know if it's something they can fix. They have some injuries and just don't have good enough players to take over a game against a good team. Pettersson and Boeser are really trying, but they're getting overwhelmed at times. Same with Hughes. I think It'll take 2-3 years before this team is ready to truly compete (contenders), and I suspect they'll have a new coach by then.

A blind man can see the lack of depth from prospects and that the cap is straggling the team.

Poor evaluation of Eriksson and Ferland (concussions), over rating Baerstchi and lack of development over 5 1/2 years.

Thank Gaud for Gillis trading FOR a draft pick, even if they are "crap shoots" he isn't costing the team multi-millions of dollars yet.

Dallas is a large team and this group still has some issues dealing with large players, shorty said it right, this group needs to get into playoff games where the game goes up two or three notches.

Most of them have been losing so long (4 years is long in hockey where the average career is 5 years) they might be fooling themselves.

The bottom looks better, the goal tending is good but the pressure put on the young guys could ruin them, just like in Edmonton, all the pressure is on under 23 year olds to win, players with no playoff experience and less than 150 NHL games.

It is just the start of the easy season still.

Only one game.

As a broadcaster on 650 Sportsnet was saying, Boston keeps their top line together and relies on them to score goals. They don't separate them to try get more scoring from the other lines. The Canucks Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser, JT Miller, the Lotto 649 line was flying along and getting points, so why break them up? The idea of moving JT Miller around to help scoring on the other lines is not working and should never have been considered. Put the top line back together and keep them together. The other lines don't have to score as much as they have to stop the opponents lines from scoring.

In this game, there were many attempts at cheating. Cheating to make a long pass and then not getting the puck out of the zone. Cheating to get that long pass and then being too far away from the D when they needed support in their own zone. 

Put the structure back into the Canucks play, because they are acting like they are a better hockey team than they are and are flying around and then getting stuck out of position. How many games have been lost because of the Canucks players gambling instead of being in better positions and offering better support for their team mates and goalie.