Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 14, 2019

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

this group needs to get into playoff games where the game goes up two or three notches.

I caught that as well and I agree. A whole new puck game in the post season. I think this group has so much promise, we can be excited about that, but it will take time for the young guys to become solid NHL players and getting a taste of the playoffs would really open their eyes. There are some really good veterans on the team as well, but also some players that need to be moved. (Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi, and maybe Tanev). I hope Ferland can come back and continue to play a physical game. They looked like a different team with him in the lineup.

11 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

The timing of the line changes is also atrocious. I've never seen a team voluntarily give up puck possession so many times a game, night in and night out. Well coached teams might do it 2-3 times a game, we seem to do it 20-30. Hard to win a hockey game that way.

It's the dump and change philosophy.

12 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I was at the game last night, first one I've made it to this year.  Much better atmosphere than past years, near capacity, music is much better, crowd was pretty into it.

I thought we dominated the first 10 minutes, we had long stretches of  possession in their end but nothing to show for it.  only 4 shots.  

-Virtanen was our best player I thought.  Scored a nice goal, and had a few other solid chances,  He is becoming an increasingly valuable asset this team.  

-Gaudette is going to be a player for us.  I really like his game.

-Hughes struggled, looked like he was fighting the puck all night and was overmatched by their bigger forwards.

-Edler looked tired for most of the game.  We need to blow a team out and let him play 18 minutes that game.  He has played a ton of heavy, hard minutes so far.

-I say this with all due respect to Markstrom and what he is going through, but Demko is the better goalie of the 2 right now.  I hope he gets a few more games coming up.

-We need to get back to basics.  We try to make the perfect play, rather than getting the puck on net and cleaning up the rebounds.

-Thought we could have won that game, down 3-2 we had a ton of chances before Dallas go their 4th.  Probably should have got at least one PP in that stretch between 10 and 5 minutes left.

I like where we are at as a team.  I think the Pacific is going to be a dog fight for all 3 spots with the Oilers, Coyotes, Flames, Knights, Sharks.  At least 2 teams from the Cental will be in that same battle for the wild card.   I expect that we will hang in for most of the year.

Great analysis. I agree with everything. Happy to see Virtanen putting it together, and mixing it up physically, HockeyGaud his very tenacious always seems to win the puck, Baerstchi also looked solid and hungry IMO 

The bolded is what got me last night, really on the powerplay, we waited way too long to take a shot and then it rarely even got to the net. We need to have a slapshot threat from either side but it doesn't seem like Boeser is wanting to one time it lately.

Demko should get the next few starts

Just an opinion: let T. Demko tend net for the next few games, and coach Green: put the team through practise drills, evaluate the weak areas. Is the teams performance good enough ? is it injuries that are hurting this team? If the team performance is good enough, then the outcomes should be fine as they are, just get accustomed to these results. 

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Missing Sutter and Beagle too, they killed us in the dot 

This is the biggest loss for us.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I was at the game last night, first one I've made it to this year.  Much better atmosphere than past years, near capacity, music is much better, crowd was pretty into it.

I thought we dominated the first 10 minutes, we had long stretches of  possession in their end but nothing to show for it.  only 4 shots.  

-Virtanen was our best player I thought.  Scored a nice goal, and had a few other solid chances,  He is becoming an increasingly valuable asset this team.  

-Hughes struggled, looked like he was fighting the puck all night and was overmatched by their bigger forwards.

-Edler looked tired for most of the game.  We need to blow a team out and let him play 18 minutes that game.  He has played a ton of heavy, hard minutes so far.

-I say this with all due respect to Markstrom and what he is going through, but Demko is the better goalie of the 2 right now.  I hope he gets a few more games coming up.

-We need to get back to basics.  We try to make the perfect play, rather than getting the puck on net and cleaning up the rebounds.

-Thought we could have won that game, down 3-2 we had a ton of chances before Dallas go their 4th.  Probably should have got at least one PP in that stretch between 10 and 5 minutes left.

I like where we are at as a team.  I think the Pacific is going to be a dog fight for all 3 spots with the Oilers, Coyotes, Flames, Knights, Sharks.  At least 2 teams from the Cental will be in that same battle for the wild card.   I expect that we will hang in for most of the year.

I reiterate your post is far better than I could do so nice and concise. 

One thing I noticed, is that I didn't notice Baertschi do much. Saw him pushed around and not finish much. 

Why in the hell was Luoi out there?  

• Upvote 1

Give Dallas credit though, they were fore-checking relentlessly all game.

We had very little room to work with.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm just surprised no one has pinned the loss on Loui yet.

Not exactly, but he's part of the reason we were only rolling three lines. A fourth energy line could help change momentum.

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Not exactly, but he's part of the reason we were only rolling three lines. A fourth energy line could help change momentum.

Who needs 6 million in cap space?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who needs 6 million in cap space?

Add to that 6 the Luongo (totally unfair) cap penalty and now it's 9 million.  That's a top six, playmaking winger for Bo.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Add to that 6 the Luongo (totally unfair) cap penalty and now it's 9 million.  That's a top six, playmaking winger for Bo.  

stop it neil patrick harris GIF teasing to think about that sweet sweet extra cap we should have

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if we could we trade Luongo's contract if we added a 3rd round draft pick and a prospect?

Edited by Hairy Kneel

29 minutes ago, BCNate said:

There was a stretch at the end of the 2nd period where the Stars elevated their game (and got that 3rd goal),and we had no answer...The Canucks couldn't match that...I didnt like this game..It was a stifling trap game, and the Stars executed it to perfection (precisely how they did it the night before, in Calgary).

This is the first game I've seen this season where the Canucks didnt seem in the same tier as their competition.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

When your ship is sinking you don’t take pieces from other parts of the ship to fill wholes in

So you let your ship sink?

• Upvote 1

DAL is 8-1-1 last 10 games. They're a hot team firing in all cylinders.

We are dealing with injuries and missing 5 players from our bottom 6... Not surprised we lost.

If we can go .500 next few games while dealing with injuries we'll be good. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I imagine that has more to do with not have a reliable 4th line center like Beagle and to make matters worse have even less depth at center losing Sutter. You can trust your 4th line more when you don't have to worry about them being trapped on an icing call and Graovac probably doesn't have the trust of Green just yet.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We lost the structure of the team. They could keep the top line together and just get destroyed throughout the rest of the lineup. Miller is to support Gaudette in faceoffs and even up the loss of a hard forecheck from Baertschi. It worked in the last win, but no credit for Green then.

Even before the loss of Sutter and Beagle, the lotto line was cooling off already.

We are only 20 games into an 82 season and Elias Pettersson ( 24 points ), JT Miller ( 19 points ), and Brock Boeser ( 19 points ) are still 1-2-3 in Canucks scoring. In Boston, they rode their top line and continue to do so, regardless of what's happening on the other lines. This is the mentality the Canucks need to have to win instead of trying to balance the lines and then going on losing streaks. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

DAL is 8-1-1 last 10 games. They're a hot team firing in all cylinders.

We are dealing with injuries and missing 5 players from our bottom 6... Not surprised we lost.

If we can go .500 next few games while dealing with injuries we'll be good. 

I'm not so sure that they're firing on all cylinders, but rather have adopted a trap game. Seems like more teams are trending to this since it worked so well for NYI last season carrying into this season. It's unfortunate from an entertainment standpoint.

23 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I wonder if we could we trade Luongo's contract if we added a 3rd round draft pick and a prospect?

He's retired, so has no contract.  Could we trade the cap penalty?