The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 14, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, bree2 said:

actually no, it was legal until Bettman said it wasn't!!!

It always circumvented the spirit of the CBA, whether it was legal or not teams knew they were trying to pull a fast one.  And saying it was Bettman that changed it is wrong. It was put into the new CBA and agreed to by all the owners and the NHLPA 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

don't you think that could still be Pearson? its seems to me like Green is mixing up Bo's line far too much. I'd like him to just leave Pearson-Bo-Jake together for say a month and let them develop some real chemistry. 

I think they'll do something like that. Season just getting started but by tdl they'll know where there at..

if they can get a skilled offensive winger for 2nd line it would be great. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

I think they'll do something like that. Season just getting started but by tdl they'll know where there at..

if they can get a skilled offensive winger for 2nd line it would be great. 

for sure. Just wonder about the cost. 

I do think Roussel will have a nice impact coming back. He'll allow Bo's line more offensive time and maybe that gets that Pearson-Bo combo more time to get back to where they were at the end of last year. I like what I see out of Jake lately too. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

for sure. Just wonder about the cost. 

I do think Roussel will have a nice impact coming back. He'll allow Bo's line more offensive time and maybe that gets that Pearson-Bo combo more time to get back to where they were at the end of last year. I like what I see out of Jake lately too. 

Ya cost will be high so best we get someone from within .

Plus cap issues will have to be taken into account so players will have to leave as part of package.. cost will be high ....

Jake has played with consistency lately. Let's see if he keeps improving..

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

How exactly is a Luongo working for Florida bad optics?   If I’m not mistaken they have a $1m/season recapture penalty associated with the Luongo  contract as well.  Him taking a job with them is fine.

I don’t agree with the after the fact recapture penalty.  But teams did knowingly try to circumvent the cap. Vancouver, Florida, and L.A. are now paying the price.  With a few more potential teams to join them. A former player taking a new position with his team post retirement is nothing new, not is it anything sinister 

For a contract to become active the league must first approve it.  The league approved the Luongo contract.  Then, the league retroactively said that contract is not good.  That's the issue with the fairness of the contract.

As for Lou retiring, while owed 3 million dollars, and then getting a pseudo job in FLA's management, that's clearly cap circumvention.  The optics are really bad, and again show the league to favour certain teams.  Canuck's fans will continue to provide the league with lots of dollars regardless of how the league treats their team.  The few fans FLA has the league doesn't want to lose.  It's the same reason why the league forgave the Jersey punishment.  

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Sure helps to have the likes of Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Hedman, etc running the show. We have some decent young players, but they are not equivalent. TB is simply are ahead of where we would like to get to at some point hopefully within the next couple of years.

No one was jealous when they got swept in the 1st round last year. We will see if they can sustain their style of play once the going gets tough again. The Rangers aren't exactly a benchmark team. Also Dallas has adopted a trap style game which clearly teams haven't been able to solve just yet with the streak of theirs of late.

I am jealous of how well they run the power-play with the puck movement, which in turn generated a lot of scoring chances. I think we have the personnel in the lineup to do the same. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Since he's retired, there is no contract to trade.  I seriously doubt we could trade the penalty, but it would be great if we could.  Hopefully the league does the right thing, and forgives that penalty, especially now that Lou is working in FLA's management in a fake job, so he can collect the money he was owed.  It's really bad optics for the corruption that exists at the NHL office.  

Could we reactivate the contract? On paper. Fly him in then trade his activated contact to Ottawa and give them picks and a prospect?

A couple of things:

-Baertchi is not the same player he was and is becoming LE 2.0. The puck possession gets lost when he tries to play it. Not any better along the boards either. His offensive flair seems to have left him and the chemistry with Bo seems to have passed. His only point is one that he miffed on and Gaud was able to finish.

-The lack of energy/ aggressive/experienced players are showing holes in the armor. The structure is not there and leadership is suffering.

-Players such as Tanev and Edler are taking a beating and  I can see why they are injured so much. We are spending too much time in our own zone and it is inevitable that they will be injured again before the season is out. We need to stop taking stupid or lazy penalties.

- Boes and Petey are still learning and it is showing. Love their enthusiasm though and they will only get better.

Injuries again are our downfall and we are forced to play players that should be in the minors. I would be OK if we can just keep up our energy for the full 60 minutes and don't let the opposition outwork us. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

A couple of things:

-Baertchi is not the same player he was and is becoming LE 2.0. The puck possession gets lost when he tries to play it. Not any better along the boards either. His offensive flair seems to have left him and the chemistry with Bo seems to have passed. His only point is one that he miffed on and Gaud was able to finish.

-The lack of energy/ aggressive/experienced players are showing holes in the armor. The structure is not there and leadership is suffering.

-Players such as Tanev and Edler are taking a beating and  I can see why they are injured so much. We are spending too much time in our own zone and it is inevitable that they will be injured again before the season is out. We need to stop taking stupid or lazy penalties.

- Boes and Petey are still learning and it is showing. Love their enthusiasm though and they will only get better.

Injuries again are our downfall and we are forced to play players that should be in the minors. I would be OK if we can just keep up our energy for the full 60 minutes and don't let the opposition outwork us. 

IMO it comes down to goaltending.  If our goalie plays as well as our opponents we most often win.  If our goalie plays worse than our opponent's we lose.  All we need is for our goalie to just play even with the other team's goalie.  Marky has clearly struggled in his losses.  

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

1am: Ring Ring 

Benning picks up the phone

Brown: "Jim, I can turn this pp around"

Benning " ok Newell, you've got your extension you've been asking for"

Benning after he wakes up and realizes what he did and has to explain to the media

giphy.gif

At least Jim has a decent lookin' bird takin' care of biz in the kitchen!

49 minutes ago, bree2 said:

actually no, it was legal until Bettman said it wasn't!!!

Teams were warned well ahead of time that these type of contract were not in the spirit of the CBA.  Pronger told the league that he was looking for a shorter deal but Philadelphia wanted to tag on some additional years to lower the cap hit. 

Some teams won Cups using that trick.  They would haven't had the same rosters - it bought them additional cap space.  

Teams were also offered an out with the compliance buyout.  Buffalo bought out the recapture contract of Ehrhoff and NYR the one of Brad Richards.  The other teams elected to keep those contracts and knew of the consequences of an early retirement as they had just signed off on the new CBA.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

I was at the game last night, first one I've made it to this year.  Much better atmosphere than past years, near capacity, music is much better, crowd was pretty into it.

I thought we dominated the first 10 minutes, we had long stretches of  possession in their end but nothing to show for it.  only 4 shots.  

-Virtanen was our best player I thought.  Scored a nice goal, and had a few other solid chances,  He is becoming an increasingly valuable asset this team.  

-Gaudette is going to be a player for us.  I really like his game.

-Hughes struggled, looked like he was fighting the puck all night and was overmatched by their bigger forwards.

-Edler looked tired for most of the game.  We need to blow a team out and let him play 18 minutes that game.  He has played a ton of heavy, hard minutes so far.

-I say this with all due respect to Markstrom and what he is going through, but Demko is the better goalie of the 2 right now.  I hope he gets a few more games coming up.

-We need to get back to basics.  We try to make the perfect play, rather than getting the puck on net and cleaning up the rebounds.

-Thought we could have won that game, down 3-2 we had a ton of chances before Dallas go their 4th.  Probably should have got at least one PP in that stretch between 10 and 5 minutes left.

I like where we are at as a team.  I think the Pacific is going to be a dog fight for all 3 spots with the Oilers, Coyotes, Flames, Knights, Sharks.  At least 2 teams from the Cental will be in that same battle for the wild card.   I expect that we will hang in for most of the year.

Thanks, nice post

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

For a contract to become active the league must first approve it.  The league approved the Luongo contract.  Then, the league retroactively said that contract is not good.  That's the issue with the fairness of the contract.

As for Lou retiring, while owed 3 million dollars, and then getting a pseudo job in FLA's management, that's clearly cap circumvention.  The optics are really bad, and again show the league to favour certain teams.  Canuck's fans will continue to provide the league with lots of dollars regardless of how the league treats their team.  The few fans FLA has the league doesn't want to lose.  It's the same reason why the league forgave the Jersey punishment.  

It’s NOT cap circumvention in any way, shape or form.  Luongo retired.  Players retire every year with term left on their contract.  Are their teams guilty of cap circumvention in your keys as well?  

The cap circumvention occurred when the contract was signed. Hence the recapture penalty for both the Canucks and the Panthers. 

The fact that Luongo stayed with the Panthers in a new role is immaterial. You can be butthurt about it all you like,(I think the league retroactively punishing teams was a mistake),  but the fact of the matter is it was the Canucks management that tried to run an end around on the cap in the first place. 

23 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Could we reactivate the contract? On paper. Fly him in then trade his activated contact to Ottawa and give them picks and a prospect?

Luongo CHOSE to retire.  You can’t force him to reverse that.  Plus he now has a position with the Panthers. So even if you could work out the rest of the details (not sure why a cheap franchise like Ottawa would chose to pay $3m to a player who isn’t playing), it would be all but impossible to talk Luongo into it.  

The Canucks and Panthers are stuck with the recapture penalty.  Time to move on. 

51 minutes ago, ey40 said:

I am jealous of how well they run the power-play with the puck movement, which in turn generated a lot of scoring chances. I think we have the personnel in the lineup to do the same. 

Maybe in time. Our guys are not at their level yet whatsoever.

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMO it comes down to goaltending.  If our goalie plays as well as our opponents we most often win.  If our goalie plays worse than our opponent's we lose.  All we need is for our goalie to just play even with the other team's goalie.  Marky has clearly struggled in his losses.  

I agree Marky is not at the top of his game, and rightfully so, but he is not the reason of the poor showing the last few games. We have struggled to score and its due to a number of reasons I described above. We were carrying the play before with high energy and playing with confidence. Now we look apprehensive and not willing to put in that extra push to come out with the puck. Player personnel right now has a lot to do with that. LE and Baertch are not going into the corners and coming out with the puck. Bo is forced to play a more defensive role again. Marky and Demko are fine and are the least of our worries.