The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Barrie on the move?

70seven

1 minute ago, billabong said:

If anyone thinks Barrie isn’t better than how he’s playing now you’re delusional.

He’s a 50 point dman playing in a abysmal  system making him look bad

the only problem I have with Barrie is the on-ice fit, our first pp unit seems pretty set and top 4 d when it’s healthy so that puts Barrie on the 3rd pair and 2nd pp unit to start?

Sounds similar to the situation he’s in now

Difference being we're a better team with a coach that isn't grossly overrated. Also gives Green /Newell/Baumer the freedom to move him up the lineup when necessary and distribute minutes better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So if you prefer Barrie over Stecher, why do the Leafs do the deal then?

Leafs wouldn’t do that.  They’d want Tanev.  Likely they’d fire Babcock first, before any trades.  Then see is the coaching change helps.  

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, mll said:

A Tippett quote - he was referring to his IHL days but it seems pretty actual.  Kids now grow up modelling their games after Karlsson and the likes so systems adjust to players coming up through the draft.  

« We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can’t move the puck.   « Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn’t defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he’s making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he’s only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman. »

This was Peters on Barrie last playoffs:  

but wasn't that last season?

• Upvote 1

Not selling low on Ferland as others have mentioned. 

What's wrong with Barrie this season?  Same amount of ice time but his scoring has taken a nosedive.  Before determining if his defensive game is any good I would have to decline since Stecher and Benn are working well as a bottom pair.

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

but wasn't that last season?

On a team that isn't a complete tire fire, I said when they acquired him Barrie is the wrong Dman for the Leafs to acquire. They have enough offensive dmen they need a Tanev/another Muzzin type.  And Barrie is on an expiring deal due for a raise they can't afford, they have to trade him by deadline at lower value because every team knows they can’t keep him, or lose him for free. Terrible asset management.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So if you prefer Barrie over Stecher, why do the Leafs do the deal then?

I think the Leafs are desperate for a solid defensive dman.  Stech has similar cap hit, so it could be done by both teams.  TO (nor Van)cannot take on a salary anymore than Barrie's 2.7m, so Stech  might be the best they can find at that price. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

On a team that isn't a complete tire fire, I said when they acquired him Barrie is the wrong Dman for the Leafs to acquire. They have enough offensive dmen they need a Tanev/another Muzzin type.  And Barrie is on an expiring deal due for a raise they can't afford, they have to trade him by deadline at lower value because every team knows they can’t keep him, or lose him for free. Terrible asset management.

well I guess if he is as great as everyone says, I don't think we could afford  what he wants either

32 minutes ago, bree2 said:

well I guess if he is as great as everyone says, I don't think we could afford  what he wants either

He should come in around the 5.5-6.5 range which is doable here with a move or 2. He's not in the $7mil+ range 

Edited by canuck73_3

57 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

But asset management... GM JB has none. DURRRR. Why didn't Benning trade a 1st away to get rid of Eriksson? /sarc

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Would we do Stecher straight across for Barrie?  Barrie is on the expiring deal, but has serious offence.  Stecher is a hard working character guy, who isn’t costing too much.  

maybe but i doubt TO does that

• Cheers 1

True, but Barrie is a proven 50 plus point PP guy.  Couldn’t he play with Benn 5 on 5, and be on PP two for Edler?  That could lower 

eddie’s minutes too.  I really like Stecher’s effort though, and Barrie is only a rental.  

Ya maybe he'd have to agree to a new contract if we brought him in, I'm pretty happy with Stetcher and would rather use him if traded for top 6 winger

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tanev is such a warrior though.  He plays the right way, and is tough as they come.  Barrie has put up big points, and is still relatively young.  If it was straight across, and no retention, then I could see JB thinking about it. 

I'd have to think about it straight across, but if were going to move a d man it has to be for a top 6 winger, I can't see us waisting our D assets unless its for top 6 help on wing for Bo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 70seven said:

Stecher + Ferland for Barrie.

I just tried that on EANHL

Leafs rejected and then somehow hacked my XBox in revenge for my insulting offer

If the Leafs wanted Ferky they would have signed him and Stetcher unfortunately falls a LITTLE short on Barrie's value

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Edler  Myers

Hughes  Tanev

Benn  Barrie

That would be great.

Rathbone and Woo developing nicely. 

You could always change it up too:

Edler  Barrie

Hughes  Tanev

Benn  Myers

Give Edler less minutes than 25 per night. Good defence and offence on each pairing.

People saying they wouldn't trade Troy, I get it. He's a fan favorite. But in Green's eyes, he doesn't play the PP and he rarely kills penalties, so he's expendable. Barrie would instantly be one of our best PP options from the backend. I don't think Stetcher alone gets it done though. Barrie is off to a rough start but he's one of the top producing defensemen over the last 5 years and is still only 28. So he holds a decent amount of value around the league IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Would we do Stecher straight across for Barrie?  Barrie is on the expiring deal, but has serious offence.  Stecher is a hard working character guy, who isn’t costing too much.  

It was reported that the general consensus of how other teams value Stetcher is a 3rd round pick.  

• Cheers 1