The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Barrie on the move?

70seven

Barrie is their Hail Mary or was supposed to be - before cap Hell starts next season.  Don’t think they will give up on him this early - that you never know.  Absolutely JB would trade Stetcher even as a rental...but doubt that’s  not what they’d want (TO).   My bet is they are still  ironing out some wrinkles - and their best player is out for awhile.  Barrie was great the first few games with them - but that’s all I watched because who’d want to watch them.   Won’t make any other claims about him - but what I watched was elite skating and passing and one heck of a shot for a little guy.   TO media is the worst - where there is smoke well you know the rest - but I doubt they give up on him this early .... Babcock shine is diminishing quickly too.

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

=Babcock shine is diminishing quickly too.

Babcock likes solid defensive play, consistent effort, and smart hockey players.  The problem is Toronto's idiot of a GM keeps giving him players that don't work well in his system.  Not blaming Babcock when it's obvious the Leafs are suffering the consequences of hiring an analytics dweeb as a GM, while simultaneously driving away the qualified hockey people from the front office.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Babcock likes solid defensive play, consistent effort, and smart hockey players.  The problem is Toronto's idiot of a GM keeps giving him players that don't work well in his system.  Not blaming Babcock when it's obvious the Leafs are suffering the consequences of hiring an analytics dweeb as a GM, while simultaneously driving away the qualified hockey people from the front office.

Heard recently, can’t remember where exactly, that Dubas has put 11 new players into the starting lineup since the start of last season, which was mostly Lou’s team, Sans JT.  Babcock did fine coaching a team that Lou built.  

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I have no problem with Babcock other then feeling he’s leveraged an amazing career and payday over a still stacked Detroit team (one cup - one final loss), followed up with a amazing gold medal team.    He didn’t do great when they tanked and he hasn’t won a series since Detroit.   Used him as an example on a different thread - complaining about TG, he’s not this all world coach that five years ago media felt he was - he’s a good coach no doubt - but not a master tactician or defensive master mind.

Trotz has really become the best coach in the league and probably has been for a while - the rest aren’t far off from each other, Babcocks won and has the image as a result - and will ride that image  for as long as he can. 

Oh - and as far as the way he likes his players - well it’s not the Olympics, you get what you get and as a coach have to implement the system that will get the most out of that group - and he’s got a loaded team to work with compared to a lot  of the league.

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

I like what Barrie brings to the PP but I'm not sure he's what this team needs. We have Hughes to fill that role. I fear the Canucks would be making the same mistake the Leafs have made by having two "rover" defenseman. I'd sooner see another minute munching solid two way dman. Perhaps Tryamkin is that guy but the team really needs to focus on finding a replacement for Eddy. His skills seem to be eroding and once his contact is up next year we need an upgrade. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

I like what Barrie brings to the PP but I'm not sure he's what this team needs. We have Hughes to fill that role. I fear the Canucks would be making the same mistake the Leafs have made by having two "rover" defenseman. I'd sooner see another minute munching solid two way dman. Perhaps Tryamkin is that guy but the team really needs to focus on finding a replacement for Eddy. His skills seem to be eroding and once his contact is up next year we need an upgrade. 

Myself and I’m sure the entire fan base have (had) high hopes OJ would become Edlers replacement - he’s injured again, it’s which sucks.    Woo has promise but at best he’d be a Bieksa type - which would be great but it’s still too early to know.   The team will ride that horse until it’s done (Edler) and it’s hard to imagine with his history he will make it to the end of his contract without tiring, missing games etc.   Myers filled that role on the right side which we desperately needed - it’s very likely part of the cap will have to be designated for the same on the left side.   Hughes will be awesome for us but ever provide what Edler and before him Ohlund did for this club.    Best case we can draft someone who won’t take long to get to the show and fill those big shoes ...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Listening said:

Let people think what they want. It separates the bandwagoners from the real fans. Ferland was just finding his game before he got a concussion, and now everyone thinks shipping out Ferland is the solution to everything? Like wtf are you people on?

Ferland is an integral part of the Canucks’ success bar none.

I reiterate, provided the team is healthy, this team is a playoff team.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Me_ said:

Ferland is an integral part of the Canucks’ success bar none.

I reiterate, provided the team is healthy, this team is a playoff team.

The only thing I'm hoping for is that when Ferland is healthy again, Green loosens up the leash a bit on him. He was clicking with Horvat and Virtanen and I want to see that line get put back together. They had something going on there. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Listening said:

The only thing I'm hoping for is that when Ferland is healthy again, Green loosens up the leash a bit on him. He was clicking with Horvat and Virtanen and I want to see that line get put back together. They had something going on there. 

ferlands fighting has got me worried a bit, wonder if were ahead in the playoff race, that we look for another bruiser/hitter at TDL.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Would we do Stecher straight across for Barrie?  Barrie is on the expiring deal, but has serious offence.  Stecher is a hard working character guy, who isn’t costing too much.  

I wouldnt. Would you?

*although if i could trade barrie for a first rounder shortly after, i would be tempted. The stretcher man is worth twice what hes paid, to the canucks anyway

Edited by MystifyNCrucify

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Babcock likes solid defensive play, consistent effort, and smart hockey players.  The problem is Toronto's idiot of a GM keeps giving him players that don't work well in his system.  Not blaming Babcock when it's obvious the Leafs are suffering the consequences of hiring an analytics dweeb as a GM, while simultaneously driving away the qualified hockey people from the front 

I expect nothing else from the all knowing management of the team from the center of the universe:  all knowledge and no wisdom.  As a fan of a team in the irrelevant wet coast, I hope they continue with this plan of continually outsmarting each other - pure genius !

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

Plenty will be available from bubble and non-playoff teams. 

Not enough cap space to add unless they trade someone out.  CapFriendly shows them with only about 230K at the TDL.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 2

No to trading for Barrie. 

Unlike Toronto, we have defensemen who can actually play defense. I like our d corps. 

AND, if the Canucks really wanted to pursue Barrie in the offseason, he becomes a UFA. I don't think he resigns in Toronto, and if the rumors are true that he wants to come home, maybe we can get a discount on the guy. If we can, sign him. But no way should the Canucks be giving up prospects and good players for a guy who we could possibly get for free next Summer. 

• Upvote 2

It would be pretty interesting to add Barrie to the team. But we won’t trade any assets for him. He’s a BC boy and there is a chance we could be front runner to nab him in free agency, i’d way rather that path. He knows we tried trading for him on the draft floor before Sakic screwed the deal up...side note, which then led to us getting Miller in the trade with Tampa (pretty happy about those turn of events!)..Let the Leafs chew on his cap this year, no way they can afford to sign him anyways. I just don’t see why we need to give anything up to get him since they could be a very large chance we can get him for free.

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

I have no problem with Babcock other then feeling he’s leveraged an amazing career and payday over a still stacked Detroit team (one cup - one final loss), followed up with a amazing gold medal team.    He didn’t do great when they tanked and he hasn’t won a series since Detroit.   Used him as an example on a different thread - complaining about TG, he’s not this all world coach that five years ago media felt he was - he’s a good coach no doubt - but not a master tactician or defensive master mind.

Trotz has really become the best coach in the league and probably has been for a while - the rest aren’t far off from each other, Babcocks won and has the image as a result - and will ride that image  for as long as he can. 

Oh - and as far as the way he likes his players - well it’s not the Olympics, you get what you get and as a coach have to implement the system that will get the most out of that group - and he’s got a loaded team to work with compared to a lot  of the league.

Same with torts tbf. People still talk about his championship 

• Cheers 1