Sign in to follow this  
TrickOfShapes

Pavel Bure: A Rocket Through Time - I have created an 85-minute retrospective, montage-style film about Pavel Bure. It features over 300 goals and a plethora of other plays in addition to the voices of many commentators.

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

Believe it or not, so is Barry Pederson, the guy we are always lamenting acquiring for Neely.  Pederson was tearing the league apart until he tore his shoulder up.  He was en route to the Hall of Fame, guaranteed.

 

As for the other great what ifs I can think of, not necessarily Canucks...

 

Tim Kerr - was guaranteed on his way to the HOF.

Bernie Nicholls - if he had stayed in LA from 1990 on...

Mike Bossy - guy had hundreds of goals left on the table.

Kent Nilsson - why did he go back to Sweden and what if he had started in the NHL?

Mike Rogers - what if he had been in the NHL his whole career and actually on a good team.

 

What if Mike Liut / Don Beaupre / Richard Brodeur had been on good teams, e.g. the Oilers / Islanders / Flyers / Bruins for their careers.

 

You bet.  Kerr was a beast of a man with great hands, deadly on the PP.   Nichols asked his boss if he should buy a house after his 150 point wingman effort with Gretzky in town - he was told absolutely -no way we trade you - and of course he did.  Still a great player - but add a great player to Gretzkys  line and you definitely get a ticket to the HHOF.   It’s sucks when guys have careers cut short from injury.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome video....halfway through - will save the rest for another night

 

Sure miss the lighting from the Pacific Coliseum....

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 1:54 PM, TheNewGM said:

lol .. looks so good.. miss those jerseys so much.. but man the goalies sucked back then,. scored so many on Kelly Hrudy! LOL

 

On 11/17/2019 at 1:56 PM, canuck73_3 said:

It's why he hates Vancouver. 

6D5DB59D-B16B-453B-9412-CA96ED0CED6E.gif

Always looked down and out vs Bure 

6843733.jpg?size=140x95

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

That one though :wub: where he made Bourque look foolish.

He made all he defenseman look foolish at one point - but that one is one of my favourites.   Both defenseman tried to squeze into him and he really had zero room - he could stickhandle his way out of a phone booth with half the other in there with him.    He saw the game at an entirely different speed then the rest of the league - as soon as a shoulder drop or a leg moved or a stick was moved he knew what to do and how to do it - and blew by guys.   This video is great - it shows a lot of his goals but what it doesn’t do is show the saves (accept his first game) and the plays he made that were broken up / with no red line and obstruction I have no doubt he could have scored at over a goal a game pace with the time he played.   He beat some great goalies in his time too - and even if you adjust the SP to current levels the difference percentage wise is minuscule - he’s easily have twice as many scoring chances each game.   

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rychicken said:

Awesome video....halfway through - will save the rest for another night

 

Sure miss the lighting from the Pacific Coliseum....

If you watch it all at once you will start to think he may have been the best player ever to lace them up.   I have an old Gretzky top fifty goals - very different players but one thing they had in common is they could pick corners -although I’d say both Gretzky and Bossy were best at that (and Hull)..

 

 

.Bure is in the same conversation.   One thing Bure could do that nobody else could was manipulate the puck and the goalie at top speed - even McJesus and Crosby and Ovi and anyone else (ok maybe Rocket Richard but I didn’t watch him)  at HIS top speed he was superhuman.   The way he’d deke any style of goalie made them look like they were playing in juniors.   Didn’t matter who was in net.

 

One of my favourite memories of Bure was one of the times he got pulled down in a breakaway and a penalty shot was awarded.   He was at Center ice waiting for the whistle and the ref asked where he was going to shoot.  You don’t have to be deaf to read his lips immediately say “five-hole” - right after that he was in full speed after three strides - in on the goalie made a deke - opened up his legs - went the other way and back-hands it into the small gap between the groin - out stretched pad and the ice - five hole. 

 

I dont think we will ever see another player like him.   McKinnon is good - so is McDavid (speedsters) - but I seriously doubt they’d do as well back then and where as I could see Bure looking like a god in today’s game.   Ovi has a chance at breaking Gretzky’s record.   Haven’t checked but I’d bet he’s already the leagues leader in shots for forwards - or at least getting close.  Nothing wrong with that - but Bure scored so many amazing goals that I’d say unequivocally he’s the best one on one player to ever play the game and that he’s also the most entertaining goal scorer of all-time by a HUGE margin.   

 

Edit:  On Gretzky’s fifty greatest goals...circa 1993...where do you start? It’s a great tape/DVD if you happen to have a chance to get it at a garage sale grab it.   A lot of different goals scored a lot of different ways.  His accuracy was unreal - just like his passes (nobody will ever do that again - they were perfect) never on edge alway right to where the other guys stick would be given how fast they were skating or what direction they going - PLUS he pushed the play where he wanted it to go by who he passed it to anticipated what happened next better then anyone.  

 

My favourite goal all-time is still one of his.   A few seconds left in the third all tied up.   Face-off in the opposing zone.  Players line up blocking all the lanes to the goal - Kurri behind Gretzky ready to blast it.   The puck drops and he snaps it through legs and body’s far corner post and in.   Never seen that done like that before or since.   My second favourite goal might be the first if it wasn’t against us.   He was by behind the hash marks (halfway to the blue-line and the  face-off dot) and a hard rebound came right to him three feet in the air - and he batted it post and in.   Seriously go watch some of his goals - remarkable scorer too.   And a remarkable stickhandler too.  Pretty much remarkable at everything.

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reply to this question: who is the best goal scorer of all-time? (That’s somewhat subjective / being the best at something is more then just stats)

 

To me it’s a very small group that separates the pack.  Longevity guys don’t get as much  consideration.

 

 

1. Wayne Gretzky.   Why? Well just watch some video if you weren’t around back then.  Master at faking shots then picking corners, as well as puckhandling around defenseman and dekeing goalies- simply remarkable- one of his best was as a Ranger when he went around the net and deked out everyone including his own team - they all fell down ha ha. 

 

2. Pavel Bure - OP video explains why

 

2. B. Rocket Richard - anyone who gets knocked out - goes back on the ice and skates the puck the length of  the ice with blood running down his face and scores a series winner - not wanting to pass to anyone else because he doesn’t know who’s who...and plus a trophy was named after him and he’s the most beloved Hab of all time.   Respect.

 

2. Mario - don’t believe me go watch some video.   Maybe he’s better then Bure and Richard at number two / let’s call him 2/B-C - like the top three just insane. 

 

5.  Bossy.  Retired with the best GPG all-time after 10 years .75 ... after ten years WG was over 1.00 GPG so he drops down given he was on the cusp of regression.  Shoot the puck!  One of the best at that.

 

 

6. Ovi shots shots shots.  Miss miss miss save save save too.

 

7. B Hull shots shots shots

 

8. B Hull shots shots shots slap shot engineer.

 

9.  Espo garbage garbage garbage but it worked. 

 

 10.  Howe power and longevity 

 

Honourable mention.   Dionne.  Said if he was a hab instead of Lafluer he’d have scored 1000 goals.  Maybe he would have.   MG - Speed and consistent.  Selanne - same but better 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great video! That must have taken you forever to find all the clips for the goals. Another thing I thought about watching that was how did we survive watching TV pre HDTV?! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was amazing to watch as a kid growing up.  With that being said I watch these highlights now and the thing that stands out most for me is not the skill of Bure but how terrible the rest of the league looks compared to now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

He was amazing to watch as a kid growing up.  With that being said I watch these highlights now and the thing that stands out most for me is not the skill of Bure but how terrible the rest of the league looks compared to now.

Yup Bure was at least a couple decades a head of his time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I miss Bure, I finally watched the whole thing, and then I started watching more Bure videos, then I found myself looking for super series games to see if young Bure was playing in some ::D

 

Anyways when you watch him before his first knee surgery the explosiveness he had out of the gate was insane, he was already gone before getting to top speed impressive. Then after his first surgery, he came back and still had his speed but his explosiveness out the gate wasn't the same, he could still get up to that top speed but his starts weren't as explosive as they were prior, but he still had enough speed and quickness to get the job done and was still faster then pretty much everyone. But when you see that transition from Florida to the Rangers and he had that 2nd knee surgery, that's when you could tell he wasn't going to be the same ever again sadly. He just didn't have the explosiveness out of the gate anymore, he still had speed but it wasn't the same anymore, he couldn't get that jump like he used to unfortunately, he showed some flashes of his old self occasionally, but no way could he do it at that same level all the time anymore. It's sad because I wish Bure was able to play a full 18 year like career, the guy was such a talented player would of been amazing to see him play without knee injuries, the things he could of done if he never had knee injuries, he probably would of scored 70+ goals at one point.

 

I want another Pavel Bure 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey great job

 

but

 

the title is static and bugs me a bit

 

consider changing it to  "rocketing through time"

that is much more active and more reflective of bure's movement

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all so, so much for your kind, generous words. I had dreamed about bringing this video to life and wanted to help remind everyone about the magic of Pavel Bure. I am so glad now that it's out there for everyone to enjoy. It was a blast to make.

 

A few of you have messaged me about the music selection. You can find a list of all of the songs used in the credits at the end of the video. Thank you all again.

I'm excited to continue working on new projects. I hope to have something new for you all soon.

Edited by TrickOfShapes
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 7:41 PM, Tre Mac said:

He was amazing to watch as a kid growing up.  With that being said I watch these highlights now and the thing that stands out most for me is not the skill of Bure but how terrible the rest of the league looks compared to now.

Nah these are highlights and it makes any team look terrible watching those no matter the era.  That era also produced more HHOF defenseman then any other. And had some of the best goalies ever lace them up too.   Fast doesn’t equal better.   Just ask Raymond. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TrickOfShapes said:

Thank you all so, so much for your kind, generous words. I had dreamed about bringing this video to life and wanted to help remind everyone about the magic of Pavel Bure. I am so glad now that it's out there for everyone to enjoy. It was a blast to make.

 

A few of you have messaged me about the music selection. You can find a list of all of the songs used in the credits at the end of the video. Thank you all again.

I'm excited to continue working on new projects. I hope to have something new for you all soon.

Would be twice as much work but it would sure be cool to see one like this but of say 600 of WG goals.   You could make 300 of them just of him faking a shot one way and then picking the opposite corner.   That said it would probably get boring after a while unlike this video - the most exciting player I’ve ever watched.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 4:00 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Man I miss Bure, I finally watched the whole thing, and then I started watching more Bure videos, then I found myself looking for super series games to see if young Bure was playing in some ::D

 

Anyways when you watch him before his first knee surgery the explosiveness he had out of the gate was insane, he was already gone before getting to top speed impressive. Then after his first surgery, he came back and still had his speed but his explosiveness out the gate wasn't the same, he could still get up to that top speed but his starts weren't as explosive as they were prior, but he still had enough speed and quickness to get the job done and was still faster then pretty much everyone. But when you see that transition from Florida to the Rangers and he had that 2nd knee surgery, that's when you could tell he wasn't going to be the same ever again sadly. He just didn't have the explosiveness out of the gate anymore, he still had speed but it wasn't the same anymore, he couldn't get that jump like he used to unfortunately, he showed some flashes of his old self occasionally, but no way could he do it at that same level all the time anymore. It's sad because I wish Bure was able to play a full 18 year like career, the guy was such a talented player would of been amazing to see him play without knee injuries, the things he could of done if he never had knee injuries, he probably would of scored 70+ goals at one point.

 

I want another Pavel Bure 

Bure was still a goal machine - actually even more so after his surgeries considering how much MMA grappling went on then....his last two seasons pretty much a GPG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.