The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Cory Schneider

HerrDrFunk

23 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

at that time it was a bad trade, we should have gotten more

The other reported offer was from Edmonton for a their 7th, a 2nd, and a prospect.

We would have still ended up taking Horvat most likely and I don’t see much value in that 2nd or the prospect they may have been offering at the time.

People can complain all they want but good on Gillis for going after the player he wanted. That was the real value in this trade. The rest were just throw ins that amounted to very little in the long run.

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The other reported offer was from Edmonton for a their 7th, a 2nd, and a prospect.

We would have still ended up taking Horvat most likely and I don’t see much value in that 2nd or the prospect they may have been offering at the time.

People can complain all they want but good on Gillis for going after the player he wanted. That was the real value in this trade. The rest were just throw ins that amounted to very little in the long run.

The trade was fine.

But to defend it you don't have to say something that silly.

The guy was an amazing goaltender we weren't trading him to Edmonton. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I feel sorry for Scheids he was a good soldier while in Van. I wish him well. 

I feel like we build up to much warm feelings for players. If I'm playing NHL on ps4 he's gone long time ago. Haha

But I'm the same way. I like CS.

Edited by Ryan Strome

21 minutes ago, Me_ said:

So...

who won that trade?

At the time and years following, it looked like NJ won that deal. Cory Schneider put up incredible numbers and was considered as a Vezina candidate. Flash forward to today, you can say the Canucks won that trade with Bo Horvat as the Captain and leader of this team, putting up respectable numbers every year as a high-level 2-way center.

Everyone who is dumping on Schneider has no idea how much a factor injuries play in how well a Goalie performs.

And how challenging the position is physically.  A Goalie has to be ready on an instant to stretch his muscles and joints into ridiculous positions... all while standing mostly statically in a cold rink in wet clothing... conditions which are a prime recipe for setting up strains and injuries.

So many goalies suffer serious injuries and then aren't the same... look at Carey Price before and after his injuries.... not the same goalie.

I could mention many others as well.

That is why Goalies like Martin Brodeur were so amazing... this guy went on for years and years... always at the peak of his game... very few injuries.

That is why Roberto Luongo was such a fanatic about his fitness regime... if you ever watched him doing his workout and stretches.... amazing what he would do to improve his flexibility and conditioning... that was one of the reasons he had such a lengthy career.

Cory Schneider was a great goalie, but unfortunately for him, he didn't have the physical durability of some... and his hips were the weak point.

Jumping all over him and suggesting he was a cr*p goalie is just stupid. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Everyone who is dumping on Schneider has no idea how much a factor injuries play in how well a Goalie performs.

And how challenging the position is physically.  A Goalie has to be ready on an instant to stretch his muscles and joints into ridiculous positions... all while standing mostly statically in a cold rink in wet clothing... conditions which are a prime recipe for setting up strains and injuries.

So many goalies suffer serious injuries and then aren't the same... look at Carey Price before and after his injuries.... not the same goalie.

I could mention many others as well.

That is why Goalies like Martin Brodeur were so amazing... this guy went on for years and years... always at the peak of his game... very few injuries.

That is why Roberto Luongo was such a fanatic about his fitness regime... if you ever watched him doing his workout and stretches.... amazing what he would do to improve his flexibility and conditioning... that was one of the reasons he had such a lengthy career.

Cory Schneider was a great goalie, but unfortunately for him, he didn't have the physical durability of some... and his hips were the weak point.

Jumping all over him and suggesting he was a cr*p goalie is just stupid. 

Cory admitted he had a mental problem with anxiety.  His issues were more mental, as with most goalies, than physical. 

2 hours ago, 250Integra said:

At the time and years following, it looked like NJ won that deal. Cory Schneider put up incredible numbers and was considered as a Vezina candidate. Flash forward to today, you can say the Canucks won that trade with Bo Horvat as the Captain and leader of this team, putting up respectable numbers every year as a high-level 2-way center.

I think he was top ten but not a finalist. That was one  year at most.

On 11/19/2019 at 2:41 PM, 250Integra said:

I wonder how it's going to be when we flash forward another 4 years.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:23 AM, Sean Monahan said:

Wasn’t Miller traded to STL for a first round pick? And Lehner to Buffalo?

Lehner was accompanied by Legwand (he was certainly the primary piece in that trade though) and I forgot about Miller.

The Schneider trade was still unprecedented... getting a top 10 pick for a goalie is unheard of!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He'll end up with more games at the NHL level that the guy we acquired for him.  Plus, he's still only 23 years old.

He's played more already, but couldn't crack the Blackhawks weak defence, now in the AHL in Carolina’s system. Wasn't losing any sleep over that deal then and certainly not now...