The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Cory Schneider

HerrDrFunk

20 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He's played more already, but couldn't crack the Blackhawks weak defence, now in the AHL in Carolina’s system. Wasn't losing any sleep over that deal then and certainly not now... 

Actually he DID crack the Black Hawks weak defense (got in 38 games as a 20 year old).  He's progressing slowly but that's why he was drafted in the 5th round in the first place.  Remember that Juolevi is 21 years old and has yet to play a single NHL game.  D take much longer to develop.

Forsling is still a big longshot (particularly since the Canes have a deep blueline) but it's a waste dumping even a longshot prospect for a AHLer who can't even skate at a NHL level.  Again, look at the Canes deep blueline; they still think it's important to have a bunch of D prospects in their system.  Better that than having to rely on Biega type clones.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

56 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Actually he DID crack the Black Hawks weak defense (got in 38 games as a 20 year old).  He's progressing slowly but that's why he was drafted in the 5th round in the first place.  Remember that Juolevi is 21 years old and has yet to play a single NHL game.  D take much longer to develop.

Forsling is still a big longshot (particularly since the Canes have a deep blueline) but it's a waste dumping even a longshot prospect for a AHLer who can't even skate at a NHL level.  Again, look at the Canes deep blueline; they still think it's important to have a bunch of D prospects in their system.  Better that than having to rely on Biega type clones.

Couldn’t crack the roster, hence being dealt to Carolina...

We have better young defensemen than Forsling. Again, nothing I'm losing sleep over. At all. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/19/2019 at 9:40 AM, DeNiro said:

The other reported offer was from Edmonton for a their 7th, a 2nd, and a prospect.

We would have still ended up taking Horvat most likely and I don’t see much value in that 2nd or the prospect they may have been offering at the time.

People can complain all they want but good on Gillis for going after the player he wanted. That was the real value in this trade. The rest were just throw ins that amounted to very little in the long run.

I don't know, I think high 2nd rounders have some value and I don't know who that prospect was but rumor was that it was Klefbom? If so, Gillis made a big mistake. 

I understand why Gillis declined Edmonton's offer, they didn't want to face Schneider 5 times a year and help out Edmonton make the playoffs. But in hindsight, Schneider may have been enough help the Oilers reach the playoffs and miss out on drafting Draisaitl one year later and McDavid two years later. I cringe whenever I check the stats page these days. WTF did Oilers do to deserve those two superstars?

As a GM, he should have maximized return on his asset. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coryberg said:

Funny little article from an armchair gm 4 years ago...

https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2015/1/28/7936371/looking-back-the-canucks-lost-the-cory-schneider-trade-and-it-was-not

The Canucks Lost the Cory Schneider Trade and It Was Not Close

By devanmalhotra94 on Jan 28, 2015

the return in the trade for the Canucks was lackluster to say the least. While Horvat might develop into a serviceable middle six center, he was not worth trading away a proven NHL goaltender in Cory Schneider.

However, so far, his career has been unspectacular, at best. Often a healthy scratch, Horvat has been unable to live up to the lofty standards of being the 9th overall pick. More importantly, he has been unable to live up to the lofty standards of being the return for a proven NHL goaltender in Cory Schneider.

A classic example of counting your chickens before they are 

Despite what happened to Schneider, Iam just glad Horvat developed the way he did and continues to do so.  Apparently, it was this reporter or whoever that was counting his chicken - :) !

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 11/18/2019 at 1:59 PM, WHL rocks said:

Lol. C'mon.  

I think people pretend to feel sorry for very successful and happy people to make them selves feel better. 

If you are so caring go donate to single moms. Or homeless people. Go volunteer at a shelter. 

Feel sorry and bad for people who need it. And do something about it..

Writing a few words on a forum saying you're feeling bad for a highly successful person who's a complete winner in life is anything but caring. 

CS has traveled the world he's pro athlete level healthy. Multi millionaire .. plays a game for a living. Has had a long career. Longer than average in his field by many yrs...

If you feel bad for his life I wonder how you feel for OJ who just suffered another injury.  Did you have to call in sick to work for a week for that.. 

It's silly when people express crocodile tears. Feeling sorry for people they idolize and pay money to go see perform their job. 

I find it amusing. 

I guess you did not feel sorry for Rick Rypien either then eh bud?  By your standards, money and fame should be ALL anyone needs to maintain a positive mental psyche.  You NEVER know what someone has been through along the way (mentally and physically) and sometimes nothing can change their mental complexion. We are seeing "successful" celebrities and athletes kill themselves in record numbers while mental health awareness continues to be at the forefront of society. But hey, they made some money and had some fans so let's just assume they have it all together <_<

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

I guess you did not feel sorry for Rick Rypien either then eh bud?  By your standards, money and fame should be ALL anyone needs to maintain a positive mental psyche.  You NEVER know what someone has been through along the way (mentally and physically) and sometimes nothing can change their mental complexion. We are seeing "successful" celebrities and athletes kill themselves in record numbers while mental health awareness continues to be at the forefront of society. But hey, they made some money and had some fans so let's just assume they have it all together <_<

Having money doesnt necessarily equal happiness but....

not being able to afford to feed your family, let alone house them is infinitely worse. 

• Cheers 1

On 11/23/2019 at 7:21 AM, khay said:

I don't know, I think high 2nd rounders have some value and I don't know who that prospect was but rumor was that it was Klefbom? If so, Gillis made a big mistake. 

I understand why Gillis declined Edmonton's offer, they didn't want to face Schneider 5 times a year and help out Edmonton make the playoffs. But in hindsight, Schneider may have been enough help the Oilers reach the playoffs and miss out on drafting Draisaitl one year later and McDavid two years later. I cringe whenever I check the stats page these days. WTF did Oilers do to deserve those two superstars?

As a GM, he should have maximized return on his asset. 

Playing Schneider 5 times a year and risking 10 points in the standings (more when considering it's games within the conference and division) for a team that wanted to still be competitive is something to consider when trying to "maximize" the return. He could have gained potentially assets in picks or whatever, but there's also value in not trading within the division/conference. Gillis' drafting was atrocious, so who knows who we would've taken with that potential 2nd round pick.

5 hours ago, teepain said:

Hey i got a question. Would anyone on CDC do Loui Eriksson + baer for cory schneider + A pick or something . Then the canucks sent cory to utica to save room . We will need to drop some cap numbers very soon

There's no reason for NJD to add cap for players they don't need and also give up a pick.   They've sent Schneider down to help him get his game back on track.  They hope for him to return later this season.  

Also at worse a Schneider buyout is 2M flat while Eriksson's contract is buyout proof.  

Edited by mll
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, teepain said:

Hey i got a question. Would anyone on CDC do Loui Eriksson + baer for cory schneider + A pick or something . Then the canucks sent cory to utica to save room . We will need to drop some cap numbers very soon

Why the hell would NJ do that? To 100% make sure Taylor Hall goes to FA? 

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2019 at 4:04 PM, coryberg said:

Funny little article from an armchair gm 4 years ago...

https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2015/1/28/7936371/looking-back-the-canucks-lost-the-cory-schneider-trade-and-it-was-not

The Canucks Lost the Cory Schneider Trade and It Was Not Close

By devanmalhotra94 on Jan 28, 2015

the return in the trade for the Canucks was lackluster to say the least. While Horvat might develop into a serviceable middle six center, he was not worth trading away a proven NHL goaltender in Cory Schneider.

However, so far, his career has been unspectacular, at best. Often a healthy scratch, Horvat has been unable to live up to the lofty standards of being the 9th overall pick. More importantly, he has been unable to live up to the lofty standards of being the return for a proven NHL goaltender in Cory Schneider.

A classic example of counting your chickens before they are hatched!

I scrolled through the comments on that article and found this gem.

Schneider is a stud. no doubt about it. Let’s re-visit this meaningless exercise when Horvat has been in the league as long as Schneids. Up to this point he LOOKS good to me. I’m willing to wait 5 years before saying this guy is worth giving up Schneider for.

If you ask me, in 5 years time, we’ll be discussing, arguing and gloating about how we flipped Luongo’s back up for a solid Captain.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, beni said:

I scrolled through the comments on that article and found this gem.

Schneider is a stud. no doubt about it. Let’s re-visit this meaningless exercise when Horvat has been in the league as long as Schneids. Up to this point he LOOKS good to me. I’m willing to wait 5 years before saying this guy is worth giving up Schneider for.

If you ask me, in 5 years time, we’ll be discussing, arguing and gloating about how we flipped Luongo’s back up for a solid Captain.

Accurate, except that there's no argument.

;)