The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Mix Exchange - WAKE UP

Rate this topic

Kragar

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Depends on the quantity if you ask me.

I'm more of a cap or two kinda guy. Bring some lightness to my heart, sparkle to my brain and joy to the world.

I don't need any more OOBE highs. No thanks 

Never had an OOBE, even on DMT. 

My mental fortitude is too formidably fortified 

5 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Never had an OOBE, even on DMT. 

My mental fortitude is too formidably fortified 

You might just be too bound to it, or not willing to step outside yourself when the opportunity arose.

I only tried DMT once and I didn't have the experience I was expecting. 

Peyote took me for a very long and awakening ride which allowed me to see the world from a whole new perspective. I took a lot from that trip.

Highest ever was when my hippy acid dealer twitched and squeezed an entire eye dropper of liquid into my palm. He laughed and yelled "ten hits, don't spill it!" then gave me a hug.

He told my bros to hang at his place until I start tripping. Dude gave me the safe place I needed which allowed me to trip so hard, in such a good way as to let it take me through every plain of existence.

The memory itself makes my spine tingle.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

You might just be too bound to it, or not willing to step outside yourself when the opportunity arose.

I only tried DMT once and I didn't have the experience I was expecting. 

Peyote took me for a very long and awakening ride which allowed me to see the world from a whole new perspective. I took a lot from that trip.

Highest ever was when my hippy acid dealer twitched and squeezed an entire eye dropper of liquid into my palm. He laughed and yelled "ten hits, don't spill it!" then gave me a hug.

He told my bros to hang at his place until I start tripping. Dude gave me the safe place I needed which allowed me to trip so hard, in such a good way as to let it take me through every plain of existence.

The memory itself makes my spine tingle.

A safe place is the most important element of using a psychoactive.

DMT was a lot of fun, the one that pushed me to the limit was Salvia...very intense. My roommate was sitting on the floor of an apartment rocking back and forth, jubilant & exhilarated as he cried out that he was on top of massive tree. My other roommate said he felt reality shatter like glass, the fragments all around him on the floor...another girl started sobbing instantly.

It was purdy good stuff

• Cheers 1
2 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

A safe place is the most important element of using a psychoactive.

DMT was a lot of fun, the one that pushed me to the limit was Salvia...very intense. My roommate was sitting on the floor of an apartment rocking back and forth, jubilant & exhilarated as he cried out that he was on top of massive tree. My other roommate said he felt reality shatter like glass, the fragments all around him on the floor...another girl started sobbing instantly.

It was purdy good stuff

Salvia just made me anxious.

But psychedelics get weighed off each other and I'd pushed my limits on those before trying salvia, and didn't really "take it seriously"

11 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Salvia just made me anxious.

But psychedelics get weighed off each other and I'd pushed my limits on those before trying salvia, and didn't really "take it seriously"

I've also heard that salvia comes in a massive variety of potencies, and they have radically different results. I was told the stuff I used was 60x.

I've also found that, at least for myself, proper sleep before a psychoactive has a major impact on efficacy...can't get to certain places if you're lacking the neurotransmitters neccessary to take you there.

2 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

I've also heard that salvia comes in a massive variety of potencies, and they have radically different results. I was told the stuff I used was 60x.

I've also found that, at least for myself, proper sleep before a psychoactive has a major impact on efficacy...can't get to certain places if you're lacking the neurotransmitters neccessary to take you there.

Something could be said for allowing yourself to open certain doors

22 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Something could be said for allowing yourself to open certain doors

I agree & disagree...

Certain physical things must be present, regardless of openness or willingness.

We should start a thread, if one doesn't yet exist, to explore these topics further 

• Upvote 1

Tame Impala - Be above it.

like the song but not at first. It sounds like throat singing of the Inuit. I would use this as an alarm set. But it's not for me. Tho I do like parts of the song.

Battery Kinzie - Fleet foxes

I woke up a dying man without a chance...this is a good song. Makes a person think. I still haven't grasped the songs meaning.

Alvvays - Dreams Tonight.

I like this song. I usually hear songs my wife may like and I download it and play it in my car. She will take out her phone and take a snap of the stereo and add it to her playlist. This is one of those songs. It's like a hidden gift to my wife lol.

A simple answer - Grizzly Bear

This song is 6mins long lol. It has the same feel as the second song. Not for me on this one.. 

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors 

while the video portrays a deep thought provoking song. It gave me that Evanescence feel. Almost made me depressed lol jk. 

Sufjan Stevens - Death with dignity 

its like the playlist author got very sad after the last song. Yikes. Death and Ghost of a mother...to creepy for me. It is another thought provoker.

FKA Twigs - Cellaphane

Ok there seems to be a trend happening here. If I were hurting or sad. The last few songs would be putting me on some  kind of edge. This is one song that could help heal or dig u deeper into sadness. "Why won't do it for me..when all I do is for you..." i listened to it 2x...ugh.

Julia Holter - Have you in my wilderness.

Similar to the last song. But not one to keep your mind in a dark place. 

The end.

This playlist was very emotional. I liked a couple of the songs. Though the other songs make me curious as to what state emotionally the lister is in.  Buddy may need a hug.

Not sure if I coyld see any of the Maf boys doing this. Imma go with the post host playlist. Krag?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

Tame Impala - Be above it.

like the song but not at first. It sounds like throat singing of the Inuit. I would use this as an alarm set. But it's not for me. Tho I do like parts of the song.

Battery Kinzie - Fleet foxes

I woke up a dying man without a chance...this is a good song. Makes a person think. I still haven't grasped the songs meaning.

Alvvays - Dreams Tonight.

I like this song. I usually hear songs my wife may like and I download it and play it in my car. She will take out her phone and take a snap of the stereo and add it to her playlist. This is one of those songs. It's like a hidden gift to my wife lol.

A simple answer - Grizzly Bear

This song is 6mins long lol. It has the same feel as the second song. Not for me on this one.. 

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors 

while the video portrays a deep thought provoking song. It gave me that Evanescence feel. Almost made me depressed lol jk. 

Sufjan Stevens - Death with dignity 

its like the playlist author got very sad after the last song. Yikes. Death and Ghost of a mother...to creepy for me. It is another thought provoker.

FKA Twigs - Cellaphane

Ok there seems to be a trend happening here. If I were hurting or sad. The last few songs would be putting me on some  kind of edge. This is one song that could help heal or dig u deeper into sadness. "Why won't do it for me..when all I do is for you..." i listened to it 2x...ugh.

Julia Holter - Have you in my wilderness.

Similar to the last song. But not one to keep your mind in a dark place. 

The end.

This playlist was very emotional. I liked a couple of the songs. Though the other songs make me curious as to what state emotionally the lister is in.  Buddy may need a hug.

Not sure if I coyld see any of the Maf boys doing this. Imma go with the post host playlist. Krag?

This mix belongs to @Ceres, I reckon.

3 hours ago, Ceres said:

Yeah, that was my mix @DarthMelvin. Ahaha, I do certainly find myself listening to mostly sad or emotional songs. I just personally like getting really invested emotionally in what I'm listening to.

Thanks for the review, even if it wasn't all to your tastes.

Wow..I would not have guessed. I did like a couple  but like I said the others seemed more emotionally driven. Put me in a space I was not comfortable in. Lol Hope that makes sense.

• Cheers 1
23 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

1.   The Kills - Pull a U

--> Good track, very catchy, the tuning (some sort of D) sounds like it was tuned by a five year old (low-key very rad).

2.   Oasis - Morning Glory

--> Very good track, lost on album with many amazing songs on it.

3.   System of a Down - Chop Suey!

--> Classic song that did pretty well in a period of time where rock music was changing and void of identity (early 2000s)

4.  Gorillaz - The Sounder

--> A song that demonstrates just how versatile Damon Albarn's creativity is.

5.  Bone Thugs N Harmony - 1st of Tha Month

--> Not their best work, IMO, but still very good

6. Juvenile - Cocky and Confident

--> This was meh.  The flow was okay but the music/production was underwhelming.

7.  One Minute Silence - Remain Calm

--> Cool bass intro and nice sounding guitar parts but the vocals and lyrics were lacklustre.

8.  The Misfits - Sleepwalkin'

--> Classic-ish song but nothing too special

9.  Ludacris (ft. Common and Spike Lee) - Do The Right Thang

--> This was okay.  I guess this would have been good at the time of its release but it has not aged well.

10.  Bombay Bicycle Club - How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep

--> Very nice track to end off the mix.  Nice, soothing indie feels.

7/10 mix and I'll guess debutant @DarthMelvin.  

Yes this is mine. Good guess.

I'm so pissed.  The other day, I wrote up my review for @Baer., with the intent that it was saved and waiting for Darth to submit his, leaving a little more fun for the guessing game.  Then, dumb site didn't save my post like it always has before.  So, will do my best to remember what I wrote, cuz I really enjoyed the playlist and had a fair bit to say.  At least I get to listen to it again while I re-type!

Styx, Too Much Time on My Hands: intro is like waking up from a dream, but then you are hitting the ground running.  Always liked this song, so nice start.  Outro of this and intro of magic Carpet Ride is like hitting the snooze button (kinda weird after my "hitting the ground running" metaphor, but work with me here!), but then it really is time to get yer ass outta bed.  Nice groovy tune easily puts a smile on my face.  Happy day ahead!!

I'm one of those people that pretty much hated the Hip from the first I heard of them, so when I saw New Orleans is Sinking coming up next, my smile went away.  But you know what, it works.  Both coming after Steppenwolf, and by itself.  Maybe the nearly 20 years since I've been constantly subjected to CRTC programming rules, and living 1500 miles away in another country whose residents hardly know the group, and all the feelings of overplay have left (btw, there's a clue in that sentence to not only one of my wife's fave songs but also where we started our honeymoon).  So, while I wouldn't go out and buy the song or a Hip album, I didn't hate this as I thought.

Tokyo Rose from Idle Eyes picks me back up.  Nice mellow tune from a blast from the past... they had some good songs back in the 80s.  Also flows well from the Hip.

Bowie at the Coliseum in '83 was my first ever concert.  One of the greats, and Modern Love is a good choice, and I sure enjoyed hearing it live.  Being young and naive, I figured I had to stay in my seat (upper blues) as opposed to moving down closer with all the crowd.  Friends I went with but had floor seats, so I didn't seem them until after the concert was done.  I think I had a good smile on my face when I did see them, and not just cuz of the great concert.  The few people that stayed in their seats nearby were creating their own herbal, um, "atmosphere", so I was enjoying myself more than I expected to.  Don't tell my mom, ok :shock:.  Anyhow, awesome song, very upbeat to carry one on through a good day.

But then along comes Elton's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.  Not sure how this fits, since it brings the vibe down pretty hard (another snooze button, perhaps?), but to be fair, I dislike him more than I do the Hip, so there's that.  Let's move on, cuz it gets better :)

If that was the final snooze button, Offspring will make sure you are up n outta bed.  I hadn't heard this song (All I Want) before, but I've liked everything I've heard from them, and that includes this song.  A good OC band, for sure, and thanks for giving me a new song to like!

Green Day's Basket Case is slows it down, but only briefly.  I really like them now, but it took me a while before I could enjoy their stuff.  I'm fussy when it comes to food and music.  I've gotten better with food, and a little bit better with music, but I need to lighten up more, as I've missed out on some good times as a result.  At least when it comes to Green Day, I finally relented and enjoy almost everything they have done.

Another good OC band, and a song I'm not sure I've heard before, but Sublime's Doin Time is a great way to close this out.  A reggae vibe will always make me happy, and Sublime is an interesting band.  Last summer, at our fair, there's a live karaoke band, and someone got up to sing Santeria.  My wife hadn't heard the song (guess I didn't play it loud enough at home), and was really surprised I could sing along.  She's not much for negative lyrics, so Sublime won't every make it on her speakers ::D

As a whole, awesome job, 9/10.  Lots of smiles, a couple new tunes, and getting me to ease up on the Hip... nicely done!

• Like 1
On 11/30/2019 at 9:21 PM, falcon45ca said:

Aight, we've got 5 (I think) reviews in outta 8...

If Baer don't get his mix reviewed, well then all I gotsta ask...

tenor-3.gif

Only 7 are playing, and they are all in now. 

Hope you all had fun, especially newcomer @DarthMelvin

I saw some good tunes on these lists, and I'll enjoy catching up on them shortly.

• Cheers 2
2 hours ago, Kragar said:

I'm so pissed.  The other day, I wrote up my review for @Baer., with the intent that it was saved and waiting for Darth to submit his, leaving a little more fun for the guessing game.  Then, dumb site didn't save my post like it always has before.  So, will do my best to remember what I wrote, cuz I really enjoyed the playlist and had a fair bit to say.  At least I get to listen to it again while I re-type!

Styx, Too Much Time on My Hands: intro is like waking up from a dream, but then you are hitting the ground running.  Always liked this song, so nice start.  Outro of this and intro of magic Carpet Ride is like hitting the snooze button (kinda weird after my "hitting the ground running" metaphor, but work with me here!), but then it really is time to get yer ass outta bed.  Nice groovy tune easily puts a smile on my face.  Happy day ahead!!

I'm one of those people that pretty much hated the Hip from the first I heard of them, so when I saw New Orleans is Sinking coming up next, my smile went away.  But you know what, it works.  Both coming after Steppenwolf, and by itself.  Maybe the nearly 20 years since I've been constantly subjected to CRTC programming rules, and living 1500 miles away in another country whose residents hardly know the group, and all the feelings of overplay have left (btw, there's a clue in that sentence to not only one of my wife's fave songs but also where we started our honeymoon).  So, while I wouldn't go out and buy the song or a Hip album, I didn't hate this as I thought.

Tokyo Rose from Idle Eyes picks me back up.  Nice mellow tune from a blast from the past... they had some good songs back in the 80s.  Also flows well from the Hip.

Bowie at the Coliseum in '83 was my first ever concert.  One of the greats, and Modern Love is a good choice, and I sure enjoyed hearing it live.  Being young and naive, I figured I had to stay in my seat (upper blues) as opposed to moving down closer with all the crowd.  Friends I went with but had floor seats, so I didn't seem them until after the concert was done.  I think I had a good smile on my face when I did see them, and not just cuz of the great concert.  The few people that stayed in their seats nearby were creating their own herbal, um, "atmosphere", so I was enjoying myself more than I expected to.  Don't tell my mom, ok :shock:.  Anyhow, awesome song, very upbeat to carry one on through a good day.

But then along comes Elton's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.  Not sure how this fits, since it brings the vibe down pretty hard (another snooze button, perhaps?), but to be fair, I dislike him more than I do the Hip, so there's that.  Let's move on, cuz it gets better :)

If that was the final snooze button, Offspring will make sure you are up n outta bed.  I hadn't heard this song (All I Want) before, but I've liked everything I've heard from them, and that includes this song.  A good OC band, for sure, and thanks for giving me a new song to like!

Green Day's Basket Case is slows it down, but only briefly.  I really like them now, but it took me a while before I could enjoy their stuff.  I'm fussy when it comes to food and music.  I've gotten better with food, and a little bit better with music, but I need to lighten up more, as I've missed out on some good times as a result.  At least when it comes to Green Day, I finally relented and enjoy almost everything they have done.

Another good OC band, and a song I'm not sure I've heard before, but Sublime's Doin Time is a great way to close this out.  A reggae vibe will always make me happy, and Sublime is an interesting band.  Last summer, at our fair, there's a live karaoke band, and someone got up to sing Santeria.  My wife hadn't heard the song (guess I didn't play it loud enough at home), and was really surprised I could sing along.  She's not much for negative lyrics, so Sublime won't every make it on her speakers ::D

As a whole, awesome job, 9/10.  Lots of smiles, a couple new tunes, and getting me to ease up on the Hip... nicely done!

Thank you for the effortful review!

I was less aware of the order of songs and put them in (more or less) chronological order. I've been dabbling in music from decades past lately.

A bit of a rhythm rollercoaster but glad you liked it!

• Cheers 1
On 11/30/2019 at 7:53 PM, luckylager said:

It's mine. I knew Jackson 5 and Pennywise would be points of discussion. But I'm glad you liked the mix. 

Thanks for the 8!

Loved that version of Crosstown Traffic... nice ska version.  Maybe even better than the one I normally hear.

lots of good choices on here, but I think overall I liked it less than Baer.  Also, was the Metallica song really 8 mins long?  I get dead air for the last 4 mins or so.  Is this a test to make sure people listen to the whole song? B)

Btw, I'm sure you've seen the JB/Zep mashup, but I'll include it here.  This will wake you up if nothing will.  I would start this up daily at the office, until they started monitoring web traffic.

On 12/1/2019 at 12:36 PM, DarthMelvin said:

Yes this is mine. Good guess.

Interesting mix.  I'm not a big rap fan.  Bone Thugs was the best of the three rap songs there, IMO.  The list opened and closed well.  I mostly liked the ending song and One Minute Silence, with a few other decent ones thrown in.  I think I am prejudiced against Chop Suey from trying to play it on Rock Band... very difficult.

Thanks for playing!!