The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Babcock thinks he can fix the Leafs

Rate this topic

Babcock  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Babs is still a premiere coach in the league 

His first year was only the 2nd time the Leafs had made the playoffs in 11 years and aside from that ridiculous defence they've only gotten better.  One could argue if it wasn't for Kadri they'd actually have won a round or two over the last 3 years.  Dubas and Shanahan have effectively, as one already said; built a dream house without a foundation.  No bottom 6, no defence at all and little in the way of assets or depth.

Shanahan being fired would only exacerbate the issues the Leafs have.  he's not infallible, as obviously there's coverage gaps that are coaching issues but look at the similar Oilers.  All that talent, 5 different coaches over 8 years or so and zero success.  Toronto will be firing Babcock, who will enjoy himself a nice multi million dollar holiday before being scooped up by Seattle.  They will then hire Keefe who will be lauded as the saviour before firing him after 2 seasons.

Maybe times have changed with Cassidy in Boston,Jared Bednar in Colorado, Joel Quenville remains elite,Barry Trotz on the Island and of course the Blues with Craig Berube, just saying...

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I seriously hope they fire Babs.. then watch em burn.  Always thought he was covering for the huge gaps in that lineup.  

This would be absolutely hilarious

They fire him and then they tank hard and then they beg him to come back and he says aw hell naw lol

Edited by BrockBoester
  • Cheers 1

Was about 3 yrs ago punk Kadri ran Daniel. Rookie Stech got jumped by a goon(thanks Millsy!). Irritating lil' Fleas singing Bon Jovi on their bench.

That game really burned my bacon. Is karma biting their a$$ like a pitbull? They got so cocky as they were rising..got ahead of themselves.

Usually cheer for Cdn teams, but I don't mind if they have to burn it all down, one more time.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

If Babs resigns, does he still get the dollars owed?  Or would he have to get fired?  

My understanding is if you quit - you are owed nothing.

If you're fired, most coaches contracts require the team to continue to pay the contract until it expires, or until you take another job.  If Babcock was fired, I assume he'd be hired on by another team rather quickly if not by Seattle as someone mentioned earlier.  Devils, Sharks, CBJ, Wild, ect.... all likely considering if they want to keep their respective coaches long-term or not. 

6 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Mike won't last there. Dumbass built a different team then mike has never coached. 

This is where the coach and Gm have to be on the same page. 

Mike coaches a 200ft game , has everywhere and has won coaching that way. Mike isn't going to change the way he coaches , that's one of the problems. 

Dumbass built a skill team and that's it. 

I could see Mike loving our team cause Petey Our star player , plays both ways and mike knows that's how you win when your star players ,play that way. 

I think AV the up tempo style he coaches could work for the leafs but dumbass really screwed the leafs with those contracts. 

Marner is an excellent two way player, so much so that he's actually utilized on their PK. Tavares is a decent two way guy, takes tonnes of faceoffs similar to Bo. I think the top young guys on the team do buy in, but they don't have the quality depth. The defense is a mess. Hard for a coach to have a solid system when you don't have a complete team and it's only going to get harder with little cap room.

People complain and make fun of our "overpaid" bottom 6 guys, but they allow a coach to have a system that can roll 4 lines comfortably. We want cheaper guys to fill in eventually to shift the cap space around, but it just shows that quality depth is important.

Their trouble started when Dubas caved into Nylanders contract demands. Then Matthews and Marner wanted top dollar. Now they have no cap space to build the rest of the team. It would have been smarter to just wait a year or so or even trade Nylander for defense. His value was pretty high at the time. 

Until the leafs fix their defense and goal-tending, they won't get anywhere. 

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I seriously hope they fire Babs.. then watch em burn.  Always thought he was covering for the huge gaps in that lineup.  

At this point i think the clock is ticking, the season is wasting away and i bet things either change for the better in the next  two weeks or Babs is gone.

Well he did promise that there would be pain. 

This is a problem that seems to plague Canadian teams, impatient in the team building process.  For TO its, Nylander and Tavares.  Had they been more patient and built their back end they probably dont need Tavares, but with Taveres on the team they basically had no choice but to go all in and try to win a cup with him on the team.  Also naming him captain when he signed as a FA seemed odd to me.  An extra year or two of losing would have done them good.  By the time they can overcome Boston, Andersen will be a shell of himself.  Maybe there is an EA cover curse.

For us, its the boat anchor that is Loui Eriksson's contract and the bottom end of our forward group making so much money.

Edited by amplified0ne

Looks like we got our answer lol

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-maple-leafs-fire-mike-babcock-1.1400977

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/392086-report-maple-leafs-fire-mike-babcock-name-sheldon-keefe-as-new-head-coach/

Go ahead and lock this one up if you want moderators, it's no longer relevant :)

Edited by BrockBoester