The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL renames GM of the Year award after late Jim Gregory

Rate this topic

TORONTO (Nov. 19, 2019) – The National Hockey League announced today the trophy recognizing its top General Manager each season will be renamed the Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award.

The trophy was first presented in 2009-10 as the NHL General Manager of the Year Award. The name change was unanimously approved today by League General Managers at their annual November Meeting in Toronto.

“This is a terrific tribute to a wonderful man by a group uniquely qualified to appreciate his many contributions to our game,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. “During his tenure as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Jim Gregory transformed the art of team-building. Through the many years he spent at the League, our general managers regularly sought his counsel. They universally revere his lifetime of service to the NHL.”

Gregory, a 2007 Hockey Hall of Fame Inductee in the Builders category, served as Toronto Maple Leafs general manager and a League executive for four decades. He died Oct. 30 at age 83.

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/13606

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joe-max said:

Mark Messier Leadership Award

throw up i can't GIF by Trevor Moran

Is there one called that now, seriously?  God, that is barf worthy.  Our league has lots of great Euro players, so we need to name some trophies appropriately.  How about the Nic Lidstrom leadership award?  Maybe the Vesina could become the Tretiak? 

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

The Art Ross Trophy should be renamed The Wayne Gretzky Trophy, and the sooner the better.

I'd sign that petition

Also Vezina should be the Patrick Roy award, Calder should be the Pettersson (for obvious reasons), and the Conn Smythe should be renamed the Brock Boeser

Maybe Lady Byng can become the Sedin award?

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is there one called that now, seriously?  God, that is barf worthy.  Our league has lots of great Euro players, so we need to name some trophies appropriately.  How about the Nic Lidstrom leadership award?  Maybe the Vesina could become the Tretiak? 

Some ideas:

The Pavel Bure Amazement Award for spectacular play

The Gino Odjick Bulldozer Award for bravery, toughness and berserking

The Alex Burrows Against All Odds Award for a tough journey to the top

The Mattias Öhlund (or Manny Malhotra) Monocular Award for being great with a physical handicap

The Sedin Twin Power Activate Award for fantastic duos

The Sami Salo Balls of Steel Award for superhuman sacrifices

The Aaron Rome Act of God Award for the most blatant intervention by Bettmann/the league to influence games

The Mark Messier Cancerous Ulcer Award for single-handedly ruining a season/team/franchise

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, joe-max said:

Some ideas:

The Pavel Bure Amazement Award for spectacular play

The Gino Odjick Bulldozer Award for bravery, toughness and berserking

The Alex Burrows Against All Odds Award for a tough journey to the top

The Mattias Öhlund (or Manny Malhotra) Monocular Award for being great with a physical handicap

The Sedin Twin Power Activate Award for fantastic duos

The Sami Salo Balls of Steel Award for superhuman sacrifices

The Aaron Rome Act of God Award for the most blatant intervention by Bettmann/the league to influence games

The Mark Messier Cancerous Ulcer Award for single-handedly ruining a season/team/franchise

Salo's award is fabulous!  Would LE win the Messier?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The NHL has the best trophies and names, except for the Lady Bing.  That should be changed to an ex player who was great, and played a fair and honest game, like Datsyuk.

The PC police will be sure to remove Lady from Lady Bing one day soon...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The NHL has the best trophies and names, except for the Lady Bing.  That should be changed to an ex player who was great, and played a fair and honest game, like Datsyuk.

Well it was donated by Lady Byng herself, so I think changing the name would be in bad taste. 

• Cheers 1

I'd like a trophy for a defenseman who is actually a good defenseman. The current Norris trophy goes to the d-man who gets a lot of points but I'd like to see a trophy that goes to those guys who are warriors in front of the net, block a ton of shots and make bone crushing hits along the boards. 

The Norris started well by awarding the trophy several times to Doug Harvey but over time it evolved to guys like Coffey and Bourque, etc. All are great but not really the best defensive defensemen. 

I nominate Garth Butcher as the name sake of the trophy but I am obviously biased by my profile name. Maybe more well known was Scott Stevens, the guy struck fear in the eharts of many and led his team to victory several time. However, it may be best to recognize Doug Harvey for this. I've never seen him play but from what I've read he was the best defensive defenseman for his generation.

2 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I'd like a trophy for a defenseman who is actually a good defenseman. The current Norris trophy goes to the d-man who gets a lot of points but I'd like to see a trophy that goes to those guys who are warriors in front of the net, block a ton of shots and make bone crushing hits along the boards. 

The Norris started well by awarding the trophy several times to Doug Harvey but over time it evolved to guys like Coffey and Bourque, etc. All are great but not really the best defensive defensemen. 

I nominate Garth Butcher as the name sake of the trophy but I am obviously biased by my profile name. Maybe more well known was Scott Stevens, the guy struck fear in the eharts of many and led his team to victory several time. However, it may be best to recognize Doug Harvey for this. I've never seen him play but from what I've read he was the best defensive defenseman for his generation.

Guys like Rod Langway used to have a shot at it, but that was a while back.  I wouldn't be opposed to what you're suggesting, a "Selke" for defensemen.  They can retire the Mark Messier Potato Chip Eating Award to make room for it.

I figure Langway is the first guy that comes to mind for a name...  Would have been nice to see guys like Craig Ludwig, Brad McCrimmon, Ken Daneyko, Ken Morrow, etc. have a realistic shot at something.

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2019 at 1:39 PM, xereau said:

The Art Ross Trophy should be renamed The Wayne Gretzky Trophy, and the sooner the better.

How about the player with the most assists in a season will be awarded the Wayne Gretzky trophy?