Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Strome

$22/hr is average wage needed to afford a two-bedroom apartment in Canada: report

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking something has to give. Homelessness will only rise and children will be growing up in likely not the most ideal atmosphere. 

 

If you earn minimum wage and live in Vancouver, you would need to work 112 hours a week to afford a decent two-bedroom apartment, a new study says.

 

“The rental wage across the country is $22 an hour for a two-bedroom or $20 an hour for a one-bedroom,” report author and economist David Macdonald said Wednesday.

 

“But it’s much more in big cities like Vancouver and Toronto.” 

 

https://globalnews.ca/news/5510783/minimum-wage-renting-canada/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm thinking something has to give. Homelessness will only rise and children will be growing up in likely not the most ideal atmosphere. 

 

If you earn minimum wage and live in Vancouver, you would need to work 112 hours a week to afford a decent two-bedroom apartment, a new study says.

 

“The rental wage across the country is $22 an hour for a two-bedroom or $20 an hour for a one-bedroom,” report author and economist David Macdonald said Wednesday.

 

“But it’s much more in big cities like Vancouver and Toronto.” 

 

https://globalnews.ca/news/5510783/minimum-wage-renting-canada/

There are afforable places to rent in Canada, and if you get a room mate thats only $11/hour well below the minimum wage.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or live in a forest & eat freeken berries?! Workin' class poverty is no joke, & it'll reduce life to a Hellish grind, in most cases.

 

It's difficult when one compares such standards to those of decades (perhaps long?) past.

 

While 99% of us will have to tighten our belts, the elites will carry on like Auston Matthews!

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

What if you already have a roommate (wife), and 2 other dependants (kids)?

Then get a job that pays $22/hour or make your wife get a job too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pretty good argument to raise min wage to $20/hr isn't it? 

 

We can actually have affordable housing in Canada, but our 3 level of gov't aren't doing nearly enough about it. There is more than enough municipal, provincial and federal land available to build 100s of thousands of affordable co-op units, but very little is happening. Its a model thats worked in many places (the development in false creek in Vancouver in the 1980s is a good example).

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Or get a roommate and split the costs.

Shouldn't have to do this. Or move across the country where jobs may be less and you have no friends or family. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pretty good argument to raise min wage to $20/hr isn't it? 

 

We can actually have affordable housing in Canada, but our 3 level of gov't aren't doing nearly enough about it. There is more than enough municipal, provincial and federal land available to build 100s of thousands of affordable co-op units, but very little is happening. Its a model thats worked in many places (the development in false creek in Vancouver in the 1980s is a good example).

If I have to pay 20$ for a totally unskilled newb I’ll just not hire.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Then get a job that pays $22/hour or make your wife get a job too. 

Vancouver is hooped...

 

No way they can attract / hire / retain long term  firemen, teachers or nurses....   as they will never be able to own real estate in that city...

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, riffraff said:

If I have to pay 20$ for a totally unskilled newb I’ll just not hire.

Any business if well managed can afford to pay 20 per hour ......

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Shouldn't have to do this. Or move across the country where jobs may be less and you have no friends or family. 

Wait, what? If you don't have a good job, why should you have some sort of "right" to not have a roommate?

 

I know people who have gone to live in London as young adults. They had to have multiple roommates in smaller accommodations to make it work.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

No thats not how economics works, that just raises the cost of living as well and solves nothing. Need more job creation, people should think about that before they prioritize climate change over a strong economy.  

lol

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

No thats not how economics works, that just raises the cost of living as well and solves nothing. Need more job creation, people should think about that before they prioritize climate change over a strong economy.  

Actually there is quite an upsurge in job and career creation in alternative energies as well as new innovative technologies in everything from the auto industry to farming that are tailored to a shift away from how we do things now. It just requires people accepting and investing their time into moving ahead with these jobs etc. Its there, point being climate change is being invested into and it is creating more opportunity.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.