The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

$22/hr is average wage needed to afford a two-bedroom apartment in Canada: report

Ryan Strome

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

People should be allowed to use the property they own, as they see fit (so long as it's not breaking any laws).

Again, this is not a problem home owners should be responsible for fixing. And again, many working class people, rely on it to simply afford home ownership (with less eviction and financial risk). 

Blocking short term rentals doesn't fix the ACTUAL problem. It just gives working people one less route to home ownership and less freedom to use their own property as they wish.

I'm not claiming I like the law, despite the fact I have zero interest in using my home for short-term rental.  But it is the law here, and if others like the law, perhaps their community could be well served by it.  Vancouver is typically less conservative than the county or city I live in, so them taking on more government overreach is not beyond imagination.

It is a piece to the puzzle, and Vancouver has a nasty puzzle to deal with. Of course, it might mean less taxes for the city, so the city council might not like the idea anyhow.

I agree with your first paragraph perhaps more than you think, as there are laws in place that IMO should not restrict us owners.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Cheap rent but then you will likely need expensive professional counselling......   or spend all your savings on quads , sleds and lifted pickup trucks...

Yup I spend money on those exact things. It's unfortunate you don't like fun outdoor activities and a nice pickup. 

I guess you don't want to get your loafers dirty..

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, 112 said:

yeah i think ive had enough small-town living after my 5-6 years in telkwa, bc

ill be in vancouver until i die, most likely

I'm the opposite I hate big cities.

Chestermere, Airdrie and Okotoks are perfect so close to Calgary. 

Edited by Ryan Strome

On 11/19/2019 at 11:00 PM, Warhippy said:

That's a great read, I'll look in to those numbers more.

I recall working in San Francisco building the Academy of Sciences Building.  I was making almost $84k a year in USD + benefits and perks via the Bar Mill Group.  It was nice.  Doing the same level of work in Vancouver I was closer to around $50k a year.  Moving to the Okanagan was closer to like $40k a year.

there's no reason for the discrepancy.  I love Vancouver, it's great.  But there's nothing there besides the ports.  San Francisco has its own economy.  Toronto has Bay Street.  Calgary was the centre of canadas energy sector.  

I mean, you move where the work is, but...affordability plus quality wages are becoming more and more rare.  The Okanagan is a perfect example of it.  A farming region with a lake that is nice for 3 weeks a year but has a higher cost of living by percentages vs median yearly income than Vancouver by almost 2%

Even PG is getting up there...and it's P frigging G

A reset is coming soon.  It will be on the backs of the broken middle class to facilitate it

SFO is absolutely insanely expensive. My brother recently got a job in the silicon valley and the price of rent in downtown San Francisco, 420 ish sq feet, $3200 USD! In Canadian $ thats about 4500$, thats a mortage payment for around a million $ home here Vancouver!

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2019 at 1:00 AM, Warhippy said:

That's a great read, I'll look in to those numbers more.

I recall working in San Francisco building the Academy of Sciences Building.  I was making almost $84k a year in USD + benefits and perks via the Bar Mill Group.  It was nice.  Doing the same level of work in Vancouver I was closer to around $50k a year.  Moving to the Okanagan was closer to like $40k a year.

there's no reason for the discrepancy.  I love Vancouver, it's great.  But there's nothing there besides the ports.  San Francisco has its own economy.  Toronto has Bay Street.  Calgary was the centre of canadas energy sector.  

I mean, you move where the work is, but...affordability plus quality wages are becoming more and more rare.  The Okanagan is a perfect example of it.  A farming region with a lake that is nice for 3 weeks a year but has a higher cost of living by percentages vs median yearly income than Vancouver by almost 2%

Even PG is getting up there...and it's P frigging G

A reset is coming soon.  It will be on the backs of the broken middle class to facilitate it

Actually it is not was.