The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

$22/hr is average wage needed to afford a two-bedroom apartment in Canada: report

Ryan Strome

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Canadians shouldn't be forced to raise families with room mates. Also it should be possible for some to live alone if they want to.

See above. 

Exactly. 

No it isn't because everytime minimum wage goes up rental units go up. Believe I don't want to see house prices fall but this isn't sustainable. 

not if we bring in rent controls, which we need anyway 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Canadians shouldn't be forced to raise families with room mates. Also it should be possible for some to live alone if they want to.

See above. 

Exactly. 

No it isn't because everytime minimum wage goes up rental units go up. Believe I don't want to see house prices fall but this isn't sustainable. 

A two bedroom rental in Chilliwack is $700-800 per month for a nice one. Its not going to be easy but is definitely doable, sometimes you have to live within your means. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not if we bring in rent controls, which we need anyway 

Less regulation will lower prices because the supply will surpass the demand.

Atm, it is the supply which is being suppressed by the civic governments.

We need less government in this country, and by a LOT.

Edited by xereau
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

That's a slippery slope. Elaborate on rent control. If it's Dave Barrett style then no but I thought provinces have controls in place??

things like limiting the percentage annual increases. 

My preference is for a crap ton of co-op housing tho first and let the market sort out wages for the most part. We're on a trend to a $20 min wage within 10 years anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

A two bedroom rental in Chilliwack is $700-800 per month for a nice one. Its not going to be easy but is definitely doable, sometimes you have to live within your means. 

And spend the savings on rent in gas, maintenance. Not to mention lost time. 

Moving to the burbs if you work in the City feels cheaper but add it all up and I don't know about it.

Just now, xereau said:

Less regulation will lower prices because the supply will surpass the demand.

Atm, it is the supply which is being suppressed by the civic government.

We need less government in this country, and by a LOT.

but that doesn't solve the problem of high land prices, that alone prices people out of the market. We need a solution that can build 100s of thousands of homes quickly. 

I don't see how this is an argument based on more vs less government. Its about who has what assets and how can we leverage it into homes. 

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Or people still want 2015 pay when my pay has been cut 30%

Hence why I'm sitting in a truck these days. Can't afford to pay what many want.

It’s interesting because my piecework rate has more or less been the same since 2006 except for 2008 and 2009 where it plummeted.  But now I pay more for hourly employees. My fees for wcb are more for said employees.  I survive because of the experience and acquired efficiency/skill over time and putting money back into my own equipment (efficiency).  But essentially every operating cost around me has gone up from material, gas to hourly wages.

tbh now is the best time for hourly construction employees in along time.

Edited by riffraff
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Or people still want 2015 pay when my pay has been cut 30%

Hence why I'm sitting in a truck these days. Can't afford to pay what many want.

How do you drive and type at the same time.... ?  Is it because in Alberta you always drive in a straight line on flat no hill roads.....  Does that make it easier to type and drive...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you wouldn't be paying for anyones housing 

As soon as you involve the word "government", that means I'm paying for it, because I pay taxes. As do you, presumably.

We are all the government. It's your money, it's my money, it's "our" money. I've yet to see any government on any side of the aisle that does anything remotely efficiently. So if they're responsible for doing any of this, it will cost "me" money. 

I'm tired of paying for the island / Vancouver.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Really.  In abbotsford a 1 bed room is now over 1000.  I have friends there.    One friend is in a newly reno basement suite.. at 1100 a month. 1 bedroom. 

My buddy just took a 1 bedroom in burnaby for 1700 a month...

Are you sure about your prices in the Whack.....

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 minutes ago, brownky said:

As soon as you involve the word "government", that means I'm paying for it, because I pay taxes. As do you, presumably.

We are all the government. It's your money, it's my money, it's "our" money. I've yet to see any government on any side of the aisle that does anything remotely efficiently. So if they're responsible for doing any of this, it will cost "me" money. 

I'm tired of paying for the island / Vancouver.

so you'd rather pay for the effects of poverty and young people leaving the province vs. leveraging unused government land assets into homes and a tax base? 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but that doesn't solve the problem of high land prices, that alone prices people out of the market. We need a solution that can build 100s of thousands of homes quickly. 

I don't see how this is an argument based on more vs less government. Its about who has what assets and how can we leverage it into homes. 

There's a limited amount of land, regardless of how much reclaimed space there is, claimed greenspace or whatever is stolen from peter to pay paul.

I mean if you condoized Stanley Park you'd fit way more people for awhile.

I realize that's a bit of a straw, but the solution is easy. Move out of Vancouver if you can't afford to live in Vancouver. There are hundreds (and thousands) of homes that don't involve living in vancouver where peoples' quality of life would increase substantially if they just... left.

More houses doesn't fix the problem. Look at the desirable cities worldwide, they have far "more housing space" (and land room) than Vancouver, yet... they are still expensive.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, brownky said:

There's a limited amount of land, regardless of how much reclaimed space there is, claimed greenspace or whatever is stolen from peter to pay paul.

I mean if you condoized Stanley Park you'd fit way more people for awhile.

I realize that's a bit of a straw, but the solution is easy. Move out of Vancouver if you can't afford to live in Vancouver. There are hundreds (and thousands) of homes that don't involve living in vancouver where peoples' quality of life would increase substantially if they just... left.

More houses doesn't fix the problem. Look at the desirable cities worldwide, they have far "more housing space" (and land room) than Vancouver, yet... they are still expensive.

well, actually the solution to homelessness is a home. 

We have a massive wealth of unused land in Canada. More than any other country save Russia. 

I agree on moving, I did it several times but this is a different time, houses have become a luxury and thats one of the worst things we can do to our economy and society. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so you'd rather pay for the effects of poverty and young people leaving the province vs. leveraging unused government land assets into homes and a tax base? 

I'd rather not pay for the effects of some poverty, (mostly because I don't want to throw /waste money at the crackheads on Wastings and Pain) but I have no problem with 'young people leaving the province' if that's their choice to make a good living. That said, I realize it's hard for Vancouverites to remember or acknowledge sometimes, but there's a rest of the province outside of the Vancouver area where opportunity knocks. Leaving Vancouver doesn't mean you are now on a 11 hour drive through nuclear wasteland to Calgary with one stop in this armpit called Salmon Arm for food, gas and a piss.

There's one definite place I do think there should be intervention on poverty, and that's universal healthy school lunches. Kids shouldn't be punished for how stupid their parents choose to be by living where they can't afford to live while raising a family.

Not everybody in life gets dealt a fair hand. Some get a royal flush to start with, others get an off suit runt hand from a deck missing the face cards. But everybody does get to choose ultimately what they do with that hand.