The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars | Nov. 19, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

This team exceeded my expectations in October so much that I believed they were for real. And then they crushed my beliefs in November, bringing me back down to my pre-season expectations. Self lesson, I need to be more measured and less of a grasshopper--but October was fun. Hopefully they can make the Nucks great again, starting by infusing more grit to counter these big imposing teams--enough shinny, need more balls, need more hits!

GCG

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hearing what Jay Beagle said post game about this valley helping to define the team and the season is interesting. He knows what it takes to win it all. If the Canucks are to turn this around, they have to take his words to heart and put in the work, which they didn't do last night at all.

The following are excerpts from Iain McIntyre's Sportsnet article titled "Canucks facing ‘true test’ as November slide continues with blowout loss"

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-play-behind-begin-road-trip-blowout-loss/

How do you explain a start like that?

“I don’t. You can’t,” Beagle said. “I don’t think anyone can. We were just talking about it in the room as a group. We don’t know. We have to figure that out, though.”

“That was tough to be a part of,” Beagle said. “The main thing was we got outworked. I mean, really. From their top line to their fourth line, they outworked us.

“There’s a lot of other little things, too, that we have to clean up. And it’s not just something the last couple of games that has happened; it’s been, I think, a little too long where. . . our game hasn’t been as tight and detailed as we need it to be. In October, it was pretty easy. Things were coming easy. We were getting a lot of goals. Some of the older guys have been around long enough to know it was going to shift.”

It’s when you go through the valley where the true test is,” Beagle said. “It’s going to define us for the season. It’s going to define the type of team we are. It might take one, two, three, four games, but you have to figure it out. And you have to grow from it and become stronger to figure out what works as a team to be successful. You’re not going to figure that out when you’re on top.”

That last paragraph is essential. Hopefully the team takes it to heart and works it's way back. The players who can't should be given a new postal code for the rest of the season.

With this analysis, Beagle sounds like he has head coach potential.  Can you start your apprenticeship soon please .........

• Haha 3

I'm not too concerned just yet about the season as we are still holding on to a playoff spot... not the time to panic!! It just sucks that Ferland was sidelined right before he was starting to gel with the team... same thing with Sutter who was a very consistent contributor and now looks like he'll be out for a while.

What's been disappointing though is... Virtanen still couldn't up his level of play... he does score here & there but overall, he hasn't made himself very noticeable. Baertschi so far has failed to prove he belongs in the NHL... unfortunately, there isn't another minor league for him between NHL & AHL... and last but not least, Eriksson.... whatever!! he has no drive for scoring or making plays.... his days should be numbered... Green and JB would be insane to keep him over Gaudette and Motte when everyone is back healthy!

• Upvote 1

One takeaway for me in the two games against Dallas is that nobody on our team was man enough to stand up to Jaimie Benn and that’s pretty deflating and sad. 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

One takeaway for me in the two games against Dallas is that nobody on our team was man enough to stand up to Jaimie Benn and that’s pretty deflating and sad. 

It's alright... wait till we get Ferland and Roussel back!! :) we're gonna be so hated by other teams soon!

These slow starts are just unacceptable. These guys are not playing 60 minute hockey, and that's an attitude problem. I think that rests with the coaching staff. They have to be prepared both mentally and physically to play.

I can't bear to watch Green put Leivo out on the PP anymore. I'm gonna start booing if I see it again. Gaudette has earned it and is putting the puck in. Even the radio announcers were calling for Gaudette over Leivo! Furthermore, when you have a pending 5-3 coming, why not take a timeout and actually form a plan?? And if Brown doesn't have one, then let the players discuss it then. To me Gaudette looks top 6, but maybe I am missing something?

The stubbornness I see in this coaching staff reminds me of Willie D days. Obvious answer smacks you in the face, and you don't see it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, gizmo2337 said:

These slow starts are just unacceptable. These guys are not playing 60 minute hockey, and that's an attitude problem. I think that rests with the coaching staff. They have to be prepared both mentally and physically to play.

I can't bear to watch Green put Leivo out on the PP anymore. I'm gonna start booing if I see it again. Gaudette has earned it and is putting the puck in. Even the radio announcers were calling for Gaudette over Leivo! Furthermore, when you have a pending 5-3 coming, why not take a timeout and actually form a plan?? And if Brown doesn't have one, then let the players discuss it then. To me Gaudette looks top 6, but maybe I am missing something?

The stubbornness I see in this coaching staff reminds me of Willie D days. Obvious answer smacks you in the face, and you don't see it.

Gauds is definitely good enough to be a long term top 6!! He just needs more development time with the big club... I just hope Mgmt won't mess with his confidence by sending him down again just to keep Eriksson around.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I'm not too concerned just yet about the season as we are still holding on to a playoff spot... not the time to panic!! It just sucks that Ferland was sidelined right before he was starting to gel with the team... same thing with Sutter who was a very consistent contributor and now looks like he'll be out for a while.

What's been disappointing though is... Virtanen still couldn't up his level of play... he does score here & there but overall, he hasn't made himself very noticeable. Baertschi so far has failed to prove he belongs in the NHL... unfortunately, there isn't another minor league for him between NHL & AHL... and last but not least, Eriksson.... whatever!! he has no drive for scoring or making plays.... his days should be numbered... Green and JB would be insane to keep him over Gaudette and Motte when everyone is back healthy!

I'm currently giving Jake a pass, he's been more consistent this year but he just can't break through Green's glass ceiling. Last night for example he was our best player again in the first period and had a very noticeable physical shift in the beginning of the second but then Green stapled his ass to the bench for about a 10 minute stretch and started playing him on the fourth line. The writing is already on the wall for Jake as long as Green is the head coach here. If he wants a chance to shine he's going to have to do it elsewhere. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

St Louis struggled into December and were last in the league all while giving up their unprotected 1st that year. I think many here would've jumped off the ledge if that happened here. Instead they pulled it together and won the Stanley Cup.

Stop worrying, support the team, and trust the process.

They also fired Yeo almost a year ago exactly and replaced him with Berube and Binnington came out of nowhere...maybe replacing Green at this point is worth considering...?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

They also fired Yeo almost a year ago exactly and replaced him with Berube and Binnington came out of nowhere...maybe replacing Green at this point is worth considering...?

We aren't scraping at the bottom of the league like Yeo's team was. They had a more "veteran" lineup that had higher expectations. We are just adding in our young players now. The expectation IMO is to make the playoffs this year and they are still well in the fight. I see no need to replace Green at this point. If we are at this point in a couple of years, then I can see it. We are still progressing forward despite this slump.

We aren't going to replicate St Louis, but it's just an example that things can change in a hurry and it's way too early to be hitting any panic buttons just yet.

Edited by theo5789
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

St Louis struggled into December and were last in the league all while giving up their unprotected 1st that year. I think many here would've jumped off the ledge if that happened here. Instead they pulled it together and won the Stanley Cup.

Stop worrying, support the team, and trust the process.

Yeah and they fired their coach, had a teammate fight, and had a rookie goalie turn into a Calder candidate out of absolutely nowhere. 

The blues last year were an outlier. Not the norm.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

You don't trade Tanev. He's too valuable.... he'll get resigned here.    Hughes is doing so well because Tanev is three to man the fort...

Tryamkin will make Tanev tradable, might as well get assets for him while we can

1 minute ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Yeah and they fired their coach, had a teammate fight, and had a rookie goalie turn into a Calder candidate out of absolutely nowhere. 

So Green has to be fired, Roussel and Virtanen need to scrap, and Demko needs to take over the crease and go on a tear.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Again, I'm not suggesting we are going to replicate their season not suggesting it's a regular occurrence. But it goes to show how quickly things can change. We might not win the Stanley Cup this year, but there's no reason to think the playoffs are out of the question at this point. I don't see the need to panic and start firing coaches or whatever. We hit a slump, most teams do. We could also not slump and be like Tampa and get swept in the 1st round too. There's still a long season ahead, so let's support the team through the hard times (along with the high times) and get over this hump.