The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars | Nov. 19, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

I picked up on Boeser and Miller tension,  they are not talking to one another on the bench.........sulking frustrated looks on their faces..........says allot 

Veterans and rookies need to work hard, play for one another and  support one another 

The reality is that we are not playing good hockey right now and the team we love may not be as good as we thought after an easy October 

We need to stop comparing Petterson to the McDavids or the Mackinnons.   I love Petey, but he will never come close to being as dominant at those 2.  Physically, they are just incredible athletes with a drive and determination that only comes around in a generation. 

This city is so desperate for stars that they are forcing themselves to see things in Peterson, Boeser and Hughes that just arent there.  Petterson, to me, is a player you can build around, with support from Horvat and Boeser but lets slow down here.  

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Injuries have taken thier toll on Tanev. He's not the same guy he was 3 seasons ago. Do you really want to extend a defensemen that 69 games is the best he's had in 4 years?

I like Tanev. But I'd like to see a d-man who can remain healthy the majority of the season. Or as Bieska put it. "Why can't you block shots with your shin pads like everyone else?"

Tanev is still a heck of a player.  Hes just skating around all over the place making up for the $&!#-show Hughes is defensively.

• Wat 1

18 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

We need to stop comparing Petterson to the McDavids or the Mackinnons.   I love Petey, but he will never come close to being as dominant at those 2.  Physically, they are just incredible athletes with a drive and determination that only comes around in a generation. 

This city is so desperate for stars that they are forcing themselves to see things in Peterson, Boeser and Hughes that just arent there.  Petterson, to me, is a player you can build around, with support from Horvat and Boeser but lets slow down here.  

Settle down there Eddie!

MacKinnon is 24 yrs old in his 7th season. It took him 5 seasons before his pts/game was as high as Petey in his first year (.93) when Petey was a skinny bambi type player.

McDavid is 22 years old and in his 5th season. McDavid's pts/game in his 1st season (1.07) was not significantly higher than Petey's (.93).

There is a chance that Pettersson continues to put on weight and continue his increase in pts/game. He is already at 1.14 pts/game this year and it doesn't look like he is anywhere near being the best he will ever be.

Your negativity is based on nothing.  Good job!!  :picard:

Edit: and PS....your bolded statement is just dumb. You bring up both McDavid and MacKinnon and say they are generational and then say there is only one per generation.  Here is a little secret....THEY ARE THE SAME GENERATION!!   :lol:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Jake brings EPs PPG down if you look at previous experiment, guess it's worth a try again but last year he made him worse.

Fair enough and it may fail again, but at least he has got Miller on the other wing. 
its just an attempt to get Bo going again. We need 2 scoring lines....

at worst its a failed attempt...

34 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

This all started when Sutter and Beagle went down.  This goes to show that you need experience down the middle in order to win in the NHL.  

Petterson is an amazing player, but he looks tired and not physically ready to carry the team.  He needs Horvat to play his game, but its impossible for Horvat to play his game when hes covering for Beagle and Sutter being out.  

I know Hughes is playing well on the PP and is good at making outlet passes, but he is atrocious and a huge liability in his own end.  Its blatantly obvious he doesnt have the frame or the physical build to play against the Benns or Seguins of this league who completely dominated him last night.

The team, in general, looks tired and desperately needs Roussel and Ferland in the lineup to add some bite and muscle to the lineup.      

You could say Tanev and Edler as well....Anytime two guys go down who play the same position, you're in trouble.

24 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Settle down there Eddie!

MacKinnon is 24 yrs old in his 7th season. It took him 5 seasons before his pts/game was as high as Petey in his first year (.93) when Petey was a skinny bambi type player.

McDavid is 22 years old and in his 5th season. McDavid's pts/game in his 1st season (1.07) was not significantly higher than Petey's (.93).

There is a chance that Pettersson continues to put on weight and continue his increase in pts/game. He is already at 1.14 pts/game this year and it doesn't look like he is anywhere near being the best he will ever be.

Your negativity is based on nothing.  Good job!!  :picard:

Edit: and PS....your bolded statement is just dumb. You bring up both McDavid and MacKinnon and say they are generational and then say there is only one per generation.  Here is a little secret....THEY ARE THE SAME GENERATION!!   :lol:

Whos being negative?  I said Peterson is a player any team can build around but we have a lot of desperate fans in this city who want to see him turn into a McDavid or a McKinnon.  Its not happening.  Those 2 were physical beasts right away, especially McDavid who was already doing things we'd never seen on the ice.  

You can have more than one generational talent playing in the NHL at a time.  IE Wayne and Mario

• Wat 2

25 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Whos being negative?  I said Peterson is a player any team can build around but we have a lot of desperate fans in this city who want to see him turn into a McDavid or a McKinnon.  Its not happening.  Those 2 were physical beasts right away, especially McDavid who was already doing things we'd never seen on the ice.  

You can have more than one generational talent playing in the NHL at a time.  IE Wayne and Mario

Generational means once per generation.  But whatever.

I guess the stats I provided mean nothing eh?  lol 

Ok.  :frantic:

26 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

...well I just showed you it took Petey 1 season to do better than McKinnon did until 5 years in. As for being a beast, Petey was already knocking players down a few games ago at 180 lbs and he has plenty of time to fill out.

I don't buy your narrative.

To each their own I guess.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

This all started when Sutter and Beagle went down.  This goes to show that you need experience down the middle in order to win in the NHL.  

Petterson is an amazing player, but he looks tired and not physically ready to carry the team.  He needs Horvat to play his game, but its impossible for Horvat to play his game when hes covering for Beagle and Sutter being out.  

I know Hughes is playing well on the PP and is good at making outlet passes, but he is atrocious and a huge liability in his own end.  Its blatantly obvious he doesnt have the frame or the physical build to play against the Benns or Seguins of this league who completely dominated him last night.

The team, in general, looks tired and desperately needs Roussel and Ferland in the lineup to add some bite and muscle to the lineup.      

Pretty sure he wasn't on the ice for any of goals last night correct?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Trolls are here; took awhile but there here !!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Man, this is when I really miss Chris Cornell. 

checkout the Dallas Stars first, third and fourth goals....

Great examples of setting up the "Attack Triangle" (especially goal #4), very simple play and it looks complicated but it is not.

watch how the puck is distributed wide every time coming over the blue line, either by skating it wide or passing it wide; this act sets up the "attack triangle" because it spreads the defending "D"....once the puck is wide, the other players know exactly where to go and the puck carrier knows where the other players will be...(trailing and heading for the net), if the pass is to the trailer, then the trailing player knows he has a player wide and a player heading to the net as well.

This is a very simple and effective play that the Dallas Stars set up almost every time they cross the blue line on the rush.  TG needs to get the Canucks to do this every time on the rush because it is a hard play to defend (the best way to defend it is to step up quickly on the player taking the puck wide...give him no space). Very hard to do especially when the rushing team has more players than the defending team on the rush.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

checkout the Dallas Stars first, third and fourth goals....

Great examples of setting up the "Attack Triangle" (especially goal #4), very simple play and it looks complicated but it is not.

watch how the puck is distributed wide every time coming over the blue line, either by skating it wide or passing it wide; this act sets up the "attack triangle" because it spreads the defending "D"....once the puck is wide, the other players know exactly where to go and the puck carrier knows where the other players will be...(trailing and heading for the net), if the pass is to the trailer, then the trailing player knows he has a player wide and a player heading to the net as well.

This is a very simple and effective play that the Dallas Stars set up almost every time they cross the blue line on the rush.  TG needs to get the Canucks to do this every time on the rush because it is a hard play to defend (the best way to defend it is to step up quickly on the player taking the puck wide...give him no space). Very hard to do especially when the rushing team has more players than the defending team on the rush.

....you know he won’t tho....

That being said, you have a good way of breaking down systems and explaining them clearly. You can go back and watch game tape and see what you are talking about...Just wanted to say thanks, i’m learning some things off ya!

cheers

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Personally, I'm not desperately wanting Pettersson to be McDavid or McKinnon. I just want him to be a PPG player who is clutch and consistent. Someone we can count on to score the big goal when we need it most. Trevor Linden was like that. That's why the fans loved him. Not because he was the next Gretzky but because he kicked his game up a notch and practically willed the puck into the net when the team needed it the most. 

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

....you know he won’t tho....

That being said, you have a good way of breaking down systems and explaining them clearly. You can go back and watch game tape and see what you are talking about...Just wanted to say thanks, i’m learning some things off ya!

cheers

It's kind of an applied science....coaching that is.

• Cheers 1