The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks won't be contender/top team for at least 3 years

Rate this topic

Junkyard Dog

When will the Canucks be contenders?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't usually make threads... Hopefully this sparks some good discussions.

A lot of what I will say is obvious but I haven't seen any sort of discussion around this so here goes. I am under the impression that the Canucks could be contenders for at least 3 seasons(2022-23) and here's what I'll have to say to support it and what would have to happen...

What will happen in 3 years...

Our young guys will become established vets first of all. Petey, Boes and Hughes will be entering the prime of their careers with possibly Gaudette as well. Demko could likely be the starter as well or at the very least be knocking on that door.

Secondly in three years time we will have 15 million in cap free from Loui, Lou, Beagle, Roussel on top all the other contracts we'd shred within that time(Sutter, Baer, Pearson, Benn, etc). We don't have a lot of cap right now but it is only gonna go up during the next few years even with us re-signing Boeser, Petey and Hughes. Of course we are gonna spend some of this cap to replace some of these guys since not all of them will be replaced by prospects moving forward but we should have enough for a major piece or two.

What would need to happen within 3 years...

We'd need one or two of our D prospects to develop into a top 4 defenseman. Between Juolevi, Rathbone, Teves, Rafferty, Woo or whoever we draft in the next few years it would help us tremendously since it would offset us from having to use the cap space we have. One is a big ask and two seems unlikely. With Edler probably retired by then and question marks regarding Tanev, while also being on the tail end of his career, we'd need two guys to replace them.

We'd need to draft/sign at least one more top 6 forward, possibly two if Pod doesn't pan out. We have other guys like Hoglander, Palmu, Madden, but Pod is our only high end prospect atm. We'd still have Miller for another season in 3 years but Horvat needs wingers desperately and we might not see that until we get more cap unless someone surprises us in our system

Demko would need to become the starter. Plain and simple. Nothing against Markstrom but I hope he isn't signed long term for his next contract. He should be signed to another short term deal but who knows if he'd want that. DiPietro is also playing pretty good right now and looks like a good fall back option and perhaps could step into a backup role in a few seasons.

Benning would have to sign some guys as not everything is gonna pan out the way we want, and even if it does you always need more. It really comes down to who steps up in our prospect pool and who he can draft in the meantime to make it easier for him in Free Agency.

Summary

-Cap will continue to go down even despite needing to sign Petey, Hughes and Boeser to an extension. 15 million free in 3 years.

-Young guys we have will be established veterans in their prime.

-Need 2 more top 6 forwards via trade/draft/development

-Need 2 more top 4 D via trade/draft/development

-Demko needs to take the reigns

3 years we COULD be contenders if all goes right but even if we weren't quite there yet we would be knocking on that door.

When do you think the Canucks will be contenders and what do you think it would take to get there? State how long you think and why!!!

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Even assuming that Gaudette becomes defensively responsible enough to be a 3rd line centre, we'd still need a 4th line centre and to replace all those players whose salaries we will be free of and using to pay Boes, Petey, and Hughes.

Yeah. That's where prospects could come into play. Nevertheless Benning is probably gonna have to sign some people to replace some guys.

I have always been an advocate of Gaudette being a top 6 winger which would save a lot of cap early on.

Wow:

i got sad sad news for people....

league parity sure has wrecked the meaning of contender.

if you mean cup contender there’s no time line on that. You don’t just become one like a video game.

look at the leafs they thought they were going further and further and who knows now.

look at the sabres and oilers high picks and awesome players but how far are they.

theres literally no guarantee if we ever become one with the core we have now. Don’t get me wrong there’s a pretty decent chance we do, but we have to wait and see.

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

It’s ridiculous to assume we’re going to be cuocontenders in a year or two I mean that just flat out ridiculous. I can buy 3-5 years but that’s not even certain.

look at the caps and blues it took them like ten years of competing hard the sharks it took them along time and they almost got there but now have to retool the rangers same as sharks (before they slowed down)

we havent won a playoff series since 2011.

just because we have a good core doesent make us a cup contender. Lots of teams have amazing upcoming cores. That’s the biggest thing I dislike about this fan base maybe because they make ea games here? People treat the season like a video game and if our team gets better we automatically win and are one of the best. No, the league gets better with us. It’s a dogfight people. All I’m saying is it sets ourselves up for bg

time disappointment. Case in point I remember in 2015 everyone in here had us as contenders in 2018

just like injuries, every team is injured or bad calls every team gets bad calls

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Wow:

i got sad sad news for people....

league parity sure has wrecked the meaning of contender.

if you mean cup contender there’s no time line on that. You don’t just become one like a video game.

look at the leafs they thought they were going further and further and who knows now.

look at the sabres and oilers high picks and awesome players but how far are they.

theres literally no guarantee if we ever become one with the core we have now. Don’t get me wrong there’s a pretty decent chance we do, but we have to wait and see.

19 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

It’s ridiculous to assume we’re going to be cuocontenders in a year or two I mean that just flat out ridiculous. I can buy 3-5 years but that’s not even certain.

look at the caps and blues it took them like ten years of competing hard the sharks it took them along time and they almost got there but now have to retool the rangers same as sharks (before they slowed down)

just because we have a good core doesent make us a cup contender. Lots of teams have amazing upcoming cores. That’s the biggest thing I dislike about this fan base maybe because they make ea games here? People treat the season like a video game and if our team gets better we automatically win and are one of the best. No, the league gets better with us. It’s a dogfight people. All I’m saying is it sets ourselves up for bg

time disappointment. Case in point I remember in 2015 everyone in here had us as contenders in 2018

just like injuries, every team is injured or bad calls every team gets bad calls

k

4 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

LegitimateElasticAlleycat-size_restricte

Ryan Kesler is that you?

Just to play along with this ridiculous thread I'm going to say it will be exactly 49 more years until the Canucks are TRUE contenders.

:picard:

Wow   
Aren’t you the same guy that flooded the boards with unthought out garbage threads all summer?

Pffffft

Contenders is a relatively vague term, nowadays, with the parity in the NHL.  Just have to look at Tampa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Nashville, Vegas and Toronto's early exit last year, teams that were labelled heavy contenders.  Then there was the Sharks, Hurricanes, Islanders, Colorado and St-Louis making a pretty good run in the playoffs, none of which were really considered contenders at the start of the playoffs.  

If a team makes the playoffs, they are contenders IMO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Its funny how these threads and the "Team Tank" come out whenever we start losing. Timberz is exactly right, PARITY is what the NHL is today and an injury here and a bad call there and you can fall or rise in the standings.

We are still rebuilding and we will continually get better if the coach and GM are doing their jobs correctly. It drives me crazy when someone suggests we need this player and then that player and "abracadabra" we are a contender. Improving on your 23 man roster increases your odds but does not make you a sure bet. 

Just look at our team in the last while. Our young forwards were blazing along scoring at a pretty good pace and our goalies looked like we had the reincarnation of Luongo/Schneider, and now? ………………..Same players? .........different result lately.

People talk about needing all of these core pieces but forget that players such as Ferlund, Suttter and Roussel are needed to complete the TEAM. 

Its funny, injuries pile up, we play our AHLers, and we are talking "Tanking", we are injury free, and people are talking playoffs and possibly winning playoff rounds. We sure are a fickle bunch. ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Cuocontenders? Did you mean Cuckoocontenders?

tumblr_ob41lvRHPp1u501aoo1_400.gif

• Haha 3