Sign in to follow this  
Junkyard Dog

Canucks won't be contender/top team for at least 3 years

Rate this topic

When will the Canucks be contenders?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Wow   
Aren’t you the same guy that flooded the boards with unthought out garbage threads all summer?

 Pffffft

Not always

 

And that was in the off-season

 

It's very serious business now

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It takes a ton of talent to be a contender.

 

Even then, you have to put the pieces together. Look at Toronto? Look at how Tampa is struggling at the moment?? Got punted early last spring 1st round!

 

I know, I know. We added good Canadian kids, Miller, Beagle, Ferland! Some heart, some force on the boards & forecheck. Myers, size on D! We were supposed to be being built for this? It was always going to take time. Have a bump on the road, especially as a young team just forming.

 

 

But hey, also look at St Louis last year?  Last place in January, changed coach.  Look at LA 2012? Same, same, not quite last but out of the play off's, then changed the coach.  Qualified as the 8th seed out of eight in the West. Cinderella run!

 

It is sport after all. There is lots of season left. We were always going to have challenges before.  The doomsday aspect of this thread? Basically using a moment we are struggling to make everyone feel its hopeless.  I hate such threads!

 

Support your team, and live with the results! @Junkyard Dog & any other wannabe fans!

Miller is American and Yeo was fired in November when the Blues were 7-9-3, other than those 2 errors your post is...well nothing really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It takes a ton of talent to be a contender.

 

Even then, you have to put the pieces together. Look at Toronto? Look at how Tampa is struggling at the moment?? Got punted early last spring 1st round!

 

I know, I know. We added good Canadian kids, Miller, Beagle, Ferland! Some heart, some force on the boards & forecheck. Myers, size on D! We were supposed to be being built for this? It was always going to take time. Have a bump on the road, especially as a young team just forming.

 

 

But hey, also look at St Louis last year?  Last place in January, changed coach.  Look at LA 2012? Same, same, not quite last but out of the play off's, then changed the coach.  Qualified as the 8th seed out of eight in the West. Cinderella run!

 

It is sport after all. There is lots of season left. We were always going to have challenges before.  The doomsday aspect of this thread? Basically using a moment we are struggling to make everyone feel its hopeless.  I hate such threads!

 

Support your team, and live with the results! @Junkyard Dog & any other wannabe fans!

I am not sure that I am the type of person that you're making me out to be if you're indeed calling me a wannabe fan.

 

I just feel that this team is 3 years out at least from being a top team in the NHL if all goes well. I guess I should of elaborated on my definition of a contender. My mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Contenders is a relatively vague term, nowadays, with the parity in the NHL.  Just have to look at Tampa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Nashville, Vegas and Toronto's early exit last year, teams that were labelled heavy contenders.  Then there was the Sharks, Hurricanes, Islanders, Colorado and St-Louis making a pretty good run in the playoffs, none of which were really considered contenders at the start of the playoffs.  

 

If a team makes the playoffs, they are contenders IMO.

 

 

I do believe any team who makes the playoffs has a shot. I agree with you there.

 

What I mean by contender is a top team/favorite. My bad on not elaborating.

 

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SunnyHours said:

I think the biggest mistake with this thread is starting it after a loss. The sky is falling, the Canucks are the worst team to ever play in the league and team tank is gaining momentum. 

 

Half joking aside, I’d say 3-4 years, gives time for guys to develop further, hopefully we gain some higher end offensive talent on the blue line (though it is shaping up nicely) and we can fill out our top 9 With Podz, Lind etc. 

 

Just because it’s 3-4 years though doesn’t mean they can’t compete and win a round in the playoffs. Here’s hoping! 

True and I made it at night too. It seems to be getting better though.

 

Exactly. I think we can make the playoffs in the meantime but are at least 3 years until we are a top team/favorite if things go right.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Thank goodness I'm not the only optimist here.  If we can get in and get hot at the right time anything can happen.

 

That being said, I think at most 2 years, probably by next season if development of young guns goes well.  From the net out, we ride the hot hand in the crease (I would not rule out Demko going on a Binnington-esque run or Marky settles down and takes the #1 role and runs with it, and we get solid spot starts from Thatcher); we have a solid if unspectacular de facto first pair of Eddie and Myers that hopefully can keep holding the fort, while Quinn is already likely one of our top two D-men, but we just need continued growth.  Jordie/ Stecher/ Tanev are all plus players given their roles, but we could use more scoring depth from the back end (Myers is ice cold and Stecher has potential to be a good puck mover and passer, who can make transitioning more efficient).  If Quinn or Eddie can take over games as a true #1 or even near that level that could really help when teams start neutralizing each other, and hopefully he can have the confidence to jump in on rushes like Heiskanen did yesterday.  

 

Up front the Lotto Line needs to find different ways to score since the good, structured teams give them trouble by keeping them moreso to the perimeter.  Hopefully that comes with Pete and Brock continuing to grow stronger physically since they're still young and can hopefully become tougher to handle when they drive the net vs. play around the outside.  Bo needs wingers but hopefully some combo of Roussel/ Pearson/ Virtanen/ Sven can give him the play-making winger and a straight line skating running mate who can also play a heavy, physical game which we'd need for a playoff run.  If Gaudette and his line (Leivo/ Ferland/ Sutter/ whoever's left from the 2nd line) can provide secondary scoring and a speedy attack that may be the depth we need, and I like the looks that we had of Schaller, Beagle and Motte.  With the trickle down effect even this line would probably get better, but it's all a matter of finding effective line combos and once again getting hot at the right time. 

Myers and edler haven’t been “holding the fort though”. They’ve been pretty terrible. Edler has had some decent games but myers has been atrocious. I get that your an optimist but any team with that as the top d pairing isn’t making the playoffs let alone being a cup contender. I mean seriously.....can you name even

two things myers has done well this year? Hell how about even one? Because I can list seven things right now he’s done awful.

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

True and I made it at night too. It seems to be getting better though.

 

Exactly. I think we can make the playoffs in the meantime but are at least 3 years until we are a top team/favorite if things go right.

We need JB to get one or two better dmen, particularly one offensive and one defensive. Eriksson Myers and luongo take up fifteen million and have produced like five points. Lol but luongo isn’t JBs issue.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

just because we have a good core doesent make us a cup contender.

Well I guess it depends on what you define as a cup contender. The way I see it there are 16 contenders every April. The 16 teams that make the playoffs. 

 

The keys for the Canucks to be a contender are as follows;

 

Step 1.) Qualify for the playoffs

Step 2.) Figure out how to counter your opponents offensive lines to limit their scoring chances

Step 3.) Figure out how to counter your opponents defensive pairings to maximize your scoring chances.

Step 4.) Hope for a hot goalie and consistent scoring from your top players.

Step 5.) Play a good team game. 

 

Literally anyone can be a contender. There is no magic formula and teams that look good on paper don't always win the cup. Just look at last year. Tampa out in the first round and STL goes all the way. NO ONE would have said STL was a contender midway through last season and look what they accomplished.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Yooooo... 3 year suspension and they finally let me back!!

Damnnnnnnnn! How did you manage to get a 3 year suspension from CDC??????  Did you kill someone or something? That's crazy.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It's an honest question. When do you think the Canucks will become dominant contenders? A top team in the NHL? Stanley Cup favorites?

2021-2022 is the year that I have circled:

 

-Boeser, Horvat, and Miller will still be on cap friendly deals.

-One or both of Podkolzin and Hoglander will be impact players.

-Hughes will likely be on Zack Werenskish bridge deal (similar cap percentage not cap hit)

-Edler, Myers, and Tanev will be older, but won’t be old enough to the point where their games will be noticeably worse than it is now (Edler and Tanev will sign short term deals).

-Pettersson will get his 8 years and big money, but we won’t be in any cap crunch.

-I think Eriksson and the Canucks will to mutual termination either after this season or next season.   After July 1st 2020, Eriksson will have pocketed 31 of his 36 million.

-Gaudette will be an impact player and will give the Canucks three good scoring lines.

 

2020-2021 will be our return to elite hood.

 

these next two years will be us being at or near wildcard contender status, followed by narrowly missing the playoffs or swallowing man porridge in the first round.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It takes a ton of talent to be a contender.

 

Even then, you have to put the pieces together. Look at Toronto? Look at how Tampa is struggling at the moment?? Got punted early last spring 1st round!

 

I know, I know. We added good Canadian kids, Miller, Beagle, Ferland! Some heart, some force on the boards & forecheck. Myers, size on D! We were supposed to be being built for this? It was always going to take time. Have a bump on the road, especially as a young team just forming.

 

 

But hey, also look at St Louis last year?  Last place in January, changed coach.  Look at LA 2012? Same, same, not quite last but out of the play off's, then changed the coach.  Qualified as the 8th seed out of eight in the West. Cinderella run!

 

It is sport after all. There is lots of season left. We were always going to have challenges before.  The doomsday aspect of this thread? Basically using a moment we are struggling to make everyone feel its hopeless.  I hate such threads!

 

Support your team, and live with the results! @Junkyard Dog & any other wannabe fans!

 

7 hours ago, GritGrinder said:

Miller is American and Yeo was fired in November when the Blues were 7-9-3, other than those 2 errors your post is...well nothing really.

We're splitting hairs both;

 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/st-louis-blues-2019-turnaround-playoffs-big-read/

TALE OF TWO SEASONS
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
On January 2, the St. Louis Blues had the worst record in the NHL and there were calls to blow the team up. Now they’ve got a shot at their first Stanley Cup Final in five decades. This is the story of one of the greatest turnarounds in hockey history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't usually make threads... Hopefully this sparks some good discussions.

 

 

 

A lot of what I will say is obvious but I haven't seen any sort of discussion around this so here goes. I am under the impression that the Canucks could be contenders for at least 3 seasons(2022-23) and here's what I'll have to say to support it and what would have to happen...

 

What will happen in 3 years...

 

Our young guys will become established vets first of all. Petey, Boes and Hughes will be entering the prime of their careers with possibly Gaudette as well. Demko could likely be the starter as well or at the very least be knocking on that door.

 

Secondly in three years time we will have 15 million in cap free from Loui, Lou, Beagle, Roussel on top all the other contracts we'd shred within that time(Sutter, Baer, Pearson, Benn, etc). We don't have a lot of cap right now but it is only gonna go up during the next few years even with us re-signing Boeser, Petey and Hughes. Of course we are gonna spend some of this cap to replace some of these guys since not all of them will be replaced by prospects moving forward but we should have enough for a major piece or two.

 

What would need to happen within 3 years...

 

We'd need one or two of our D prospects to develop into a top 4 defenseman. Between Juolevi, Rathbone, Teves, Rafferty, Woo or whoever we draft in the next few years it would help us tremendously since it would offset us from having to use the cap space we have. One is a big ask and two seems unlikely. With Edler probably retired by then and question marks regarding Tanev, while also being on the tail end of his career, we'd need two guys to replace them.

 

We'd need to draft/sign at least one more top 6 forward, possibly two if Pod doesn't pan out. We have other guys like Hoglander, Palmu, Madden, but Pod is our only high end prospect atm. We'd still have Miller for another season in 3 years but Horvat needs wingers desperately and we might not see that until we get more cap unless someone surprises us in our system

 

Demko would need to become the starter. Plain and simple. Nothing against Markstrom but I hope he isn't signed long term for his next contract. He should be signed to another short term deal but who knows if he'd want that. DiPietro is also playing pretty good right now and looks like a good fall back option and perhaps could step into a backup role in a few seasons.

 

Benning would have to sign some guys as not everything is gonna pan out the way we want, and even if it does you always need more. It really comes down to who steps up in our prospect pool and who he can draft in the meantime to make it easier for him in Free Agency.

 

 

Summary

 

-Cap will continue to go down even despite needing to sign Petey, Hughes and Boeser to an extension. 15 million free in 3 years.

-Young guys we have will be established veterans in their prime.

-Need 2 more top 6 forwards via trade/draft/development

-Need 2 more top 4 D via trade/draft/development

-Demko needs to take the reigns

 

 

3 years we COULD be contenders if all goes right but even if we weren't quite there yet we would be knocking on that door.

 

 

When do you think the Canucks will be contenders and what do you think it would take to get there? State how long you think and why!!!

22 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't usually make threads... Hopefully this sparks some good discussions.

 

 

 

A lot of what I will say is obvious but I haven't seen any sort of discussion around this so here goes. I am under the impression that the Canucks could be contenders for at least 3 seasons(2022-23) and here's what I'll have to say to support it and what would have to happen...

 

What will happen in 3 years...

 

Our young guys will become established vets first of all. Petey, Boes and Hughes will be entering the prime of their careers with possibly Gaudette as well. Demko could likely be the starter as well or at the very least be knocking on that door.

 

Secondly in three years time we will have 15 million in cap free from Loui, Lou, Beagle, Roussel on top all the other contracts we'd shred within that time(Sutter, Baer, Pearson, Benn, etc). We don't have a lot of cap right now but it is only gonna go up during the next few years even with us re-signing Boeser, Petey and Hughes. Of course we are gonna spend some of this cap to replace some of these guys since not all of them will be replaced by prospects moving forward but we should have enough for a major piece or two.

 

What would need to happen within 3 years...

 

We'd need one or two of our D prospects to develop into a top 4 defenseman. Between Juolevi, Rathbone, Teves, Rafferty, Woo or whoever we draft in the next few years it would help us tremendously since it would offset us from having to use the cap space we have. One is a big ask and two seems unlikely. With Edler probably retired by then and question marks regarding Tanev, while also being on the tail end of his career, we'd need two guys to replace them.

 

We'd need to draft/sign at least one more top 6 forward, possibly two if Pod doesn't pan out. We have other guys like Hoglander, Palmu, Madden, but Pod is our only high end prospect atm. We'd still have Miller for another season in 3 years but Horvat needs wingers desperately and we might not see that until we get more cap unless someone surprises us in our system

 

Demko would need to become the starter. Plain and simple. Nothing against Markstrom but I hope he isn't signed long term for his next contract. He should be signed to another short term deal but who knows if he'd want that. DiPietro is also playing pretty good right now and looks like a good fall back option and perhaps could step into a backup role in a few seasons.

 

Benning would have to sign some guys as not everything is gonna pan out the way we want, and even if it does you always need more. It really comes down to who steps up in our prospect pool and who he can draft in the meantime to make it easier for him in Free Agency.

 

 

Summary

 

-Cap will continue to go down even despite needing to sign Petey, Hughes and Boeser to an extension. 15 million free in 3 years.

-Young guys we have will be established veterans in their prime.

-Need 2 more top 6 forwards via trade/draft/development

-Need 2 more top 4 D via trade/draft/development

-Demko needs to take the reigns

 

 

3 years we COULD be contenders if all goes right but even if we weren't quite there yet we would be knocking on that door.

 

 

When do you think the Canucks will be contenders and what do you think it would take to get there? State how long you think and why!!!

Or a new tv deal is signed and cap space takes a big jump then all this means nothing...   we have enough prospects and depth to get it done and if JB manages to pull off a trade before next seasons deadline then 2 years tops but depends a lot on what happens to Jake, Pods, and Hogs, have a lot to do with it, if Jake gets more consistent and he"s doing a lot better but Pods and Hogs are probably the biggest potential impacts, round out our top 6 nicely...  IF they work out.. not saying they won't but things happen and on D...    seems to be our best scenario..  3 years?  nah..  2 hopefully

 but anyway...  

 

One rant!!!   just one...  Greener!!!   Play BIG MAC already FFS!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by iceman64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have some depth, prospect pool is actually a lot better than before and they have not arrived yet.   We are in year 5 of restocking the prospect cupboard and it takes time.  They have had 2 years of junior and 3 years of pro hockey and we have about half of the team came from Benning's trading/picks on the team.  Almost all of the placeholders will be gone as soon as 2 to 3 years.  We'll see what this team is made of.   Age filling gap has been filled and team's cohesion has been better than a few years ago and is noticeably better.  If they went through this trip with a least .500 record, we'll be sitting pretty for rest of the year with better December schedule and will see if we would be able to catch up some lost points.  We'll see where they are at New Year's before making assessment if they need to tinkle the rosters to allow for young players coming up and replace some of the deadweights on this team if we continue to lose more games in December.   At the end of this month, we will have played the most road games to this point with 17 road games with just 9 home games.   We struggle this month because of road heavy schedule with no practice time and could barely rest despite home games and we missed opportunity to practice for a week.   We looked off for most part and we are heavily exposed against Dallas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Damnnnnnnnn! How did you manage to get a 3 year suspension from CDC??????  Did you kill someone or something? That's crazy.

Being a dick to a few moderators, posting picture of nude women, multiply accounts and being abusive to members.

 

Thats the old me though, just here to chat with some good people about our beloved team!

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked into the tv deal looming to be renewed and if Forbes is correct that most sports agreements are being doubled up and if this stands and it's 6.25 mill for 32 teams including Seattle then LE's contract is eaten up minus a mil cap space for in the minors so an extra mil there and Loungo's actual cap dropping by that will help to and we'll need it but we can be confident that proper capology will help us just squeak by and stay competitive until LE and LOU go off the books and as we mature and grow as a team since JB stepped up his game by realizing the mostly skilled and gritty skilled wins cups so I have no worries that we'll be ok 

Edited by iceman64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's say the Canucks become arguably the best team in hockey.  When will it happen?  IF it happens, it could go down a lot of different ways and I feel here are a couple of realistic possibilities. 

 

Next year scenario: The young guys catch fire.  Petey, Hughes, Boeser & co put up some of the best numbers they will in their careers while some of them are still on cheap contracts.  Our goalie(s) play great all year.  Players coming off the cap are replaced by better replacements.  

 

2-3 years in the future: I feel like this is the least likely time period for a cup winning team because all the young players are going to get PAID and like with virtually every other team with young talent, good depth players will pay the price.  

 

4-7 years in the future scenario: The current team fails.  Management is replaced and the team is rebuilt around the young players in their primes.  As the cap goes up the young players eat up less and less of the % of the cap, enabling the team to add more talent.  

 

My fantasy scenario:  A certain lovable giant Russian mongoloid comes back and plays like Chris Pronger & Zdeno Chara had a baby.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I generally agree with most that it will be about 3-4 years from now when we make a serious push.  In the meantime  i certainly expect they will make the playoffs this year and by the time we are about in our prime , we'll have a new experienced coach and be rid of a few of the "B" players we currently have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.