Holmstrom - Virtanen

Matthews - pants dropper

Marner - greedy with attitude

Nylander - greedy and lazy with attitude

Tavares - backstabbed his former team to play at home

Rielly - okay, he's good

come on man. :lol:

Just now, Alflives said:

Core guys in TO refuse to play a 200 foot game.  Our core guys are all committed to play the right way.  Babcock is a proven winner when he has key core players who are hyper compete, and willing to play the right way.  

Which core guys? Marner is utilized on the PK, so he certainly trusted for his two way game. Tavares is generally a leader in faceoffs and while not noted for his defensive game, I find it hard to believe that he is poor defensively to be depended on for that much faceoff duty. Matthews and Nylander maybe not so much, but many teams have players like this and are still effective.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Which core guys? Marner is utilized on the PK, so he certainly trusted for his two way game. Tavares is generally a leader in faceoffs and while not noted for his defensive game, I find it hard to believe that he is poor defensively to be depended on for that much faceoff duty. Matthews and Nylander maybe not so much, but many teams have players like this and are still effective.

The TO core guys’ offence dries up when the try to play the right way.  

11 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

He won with Detroit 12 years ago. He has since failed with two teams. Sure he's won various tournaments with a stacked team of the best available players. The Canucks aren't yet that team. What if he came to Vancouver and for some reason took a dislike to Horvat or Boeser or tried to get Petey to play a different way. Would you want him then?

Green lost in the Memorial Cup finals with Portland (AHL). He also took the Comets to the Calder Cup finals and lost. I think Green is a good coach for the kids, he helps to develop and maybe even mentor. But managing a big boy NHL team to a championship? I can't see it. Babcock has proven himself and he seems to have the most success coaching a willing team of character players. Probably why it didn't work out in TOR. Maybe he is a tough coach, nothing wrong with that.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't expect any team to NOT dump and chase.  All I know is Babcock's teams focus in on skill and puck possession.  Something this Canucks team was doing well earlier this season.

Green as a player and as a coach emphasizes board battles.  You can see that clearly game after game.  Unfortunately, our top 2 players (Petey and Hughes) don't benefit much from that kinda play.

Board battles are crucial come playoff time. We lose Motte and Ferland which hinders that game. Roussel would also help. Being down two solid centermen in Sutter and Beagle hasn't helped. We have been playing games with 5 dmen at times, so surely some guys are playing banged up. IMO this isn't a coaching problem. Green may not be the best in the business, but he's far from being a major issue worthy of a major change right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Babcock would love our young core guys.  Our young core guys are all hyper competitive, and play the right way.  

I don't for a minute doubt the young core guys are competitive and try to play the right way. There is no way of knowing who Babcock might take a dislike to. We know about Mike Commodore's experience and Jason Spezza's treatment, so who really knows. I am just wondering how fans would react if Babcock DID take a dislike to one or more of the players we all love. Would we side with the coach, or the player?

• Cheers 1

It’s funny watching all the talking heads turn on Babcock. Button now saying it was time for him to go...these are the same guys praising the all mighty when they signed him and were planning the Stanley cup parade already!...We think we have bandwagon issues here in CDC...man we got nothing on TSN haha. Bunch of Leaf media spin doctors...wow! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kushman said:

Its a bold move that I don't see benning doing at this point (unless we get blown out again in the next few games), especially considering the ridiculous unwarranted contract extensions given to the assistant coaches (except Ian Clarke, he deserves every penny). 

You might consider Manny as deserving also.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

It’s funny watching all the talking heads turn on Babcock. Button now saying it was time for him to go...these are the same guys praising the all mighty when they signed him and were planning the Stanley cup parade already!...We think we have bandwagon issues here in CDC...man we got nothing on TSN haha. Bunch of Leaf media spin doctors...wow! 

Button actually turned on Babcock right at the beginning of the season when he scratched Jason Spezza in the season opener against his old team, Ottawa, purportedly because Spezza's penalty killing wasn't up to scratch.

"Mitch Marner kills penalties. John Tavares kills penalties. (Alex) Kerfoot kills penalties," Button said. "I’m going to be really straightforward here, that is an unacceptable rationale for scratching Jason Spezza."

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Babcock got fired ha ha....predictable.  Never thought he would last.   Don’t think there has ever been a coach that has leveraged more for one Stanley cup in the history of the NHL then him.   “Gotta skate.  Gotta push hard.  Gotta get me a huge contract blah blah blah”.  Trotz is the best coach in the NHL now - he wins a cup with WSH and they offer him peanuts in comparison.  Then he goes to a Tavares-less NYI team and turns them into a defensive force.  Two years in a row - with virtually NO big names.  Except for Barzal maybe.   Doubt Babcock is capable of the same.  Absolutely want to come  nothing to do with him, will take a while to get the Leaf stink off of him - no thanks.   Watch their new coach turn things around in short order - and he’s really not much different then TG was when he was promoted.   Maybe they think they have a Berube situation on their hands.  They DO NOT.  

The Canucks will win a cup before they do.   If TG gets fired so be it.   Would much rather our team goes out and finds a coach that would suit us then pick up a recycled bobble head.   “We compete, we get pucks blah blah blah” he’s a meme worthy sound bite that’s for sure. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't for a minute doubt the young core guys are competitive and try to play the right way. There is no way of knowing who Babcock might take a dislike to. We know about Mike Commodore's experience and Jason Spezza's treatment, so who really knows. I am just wondering how fans would react if Babcock DID take a dislike to one or more of the players we all love. Would we side with the coach, or the player?

The player - unless it’s LE in which case perfect harmony.  He’s NOT the solution.