[Report] Maple Leafs fire Mike Babcock, name Sheldon Keefe as new head coach

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Matthews - pants dropper

Marner - greedy with attitude

Nylander - greedy and lazy with attitude

Tavares - backstabbed his former team to play at home

Rielly - okay, he's good

Agreed except Rielly is absolute trash in his own zone.  Add in a guy like Barrie who only wants to pad his stats and has no interest in playing like an NHLer in his own zone, and a 10 ply 3rd line center who won't backcheck, and you have a recipe for disaster.  It's entirely on Dumbass for putting together possibly the laziest team in the history of the league.  No coach would be able to win when the entire core either can't, or won't put in an acceptable effort on a nightly basis.  It's a miracle Babcock was able to get as much out of these floaters as he did.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the Leaf's star players stopped playing for each other more than they stopped playing for Babcock it just falls on him as the first scapegoat.  There are too many me first players on that roster and in particular a few of their top players.  I kind of feel bad for Tavares as I think he genuinely went their to help them win - although it is Toronto so.....  He could have gotten his money anywhere.  

I don't see how an AHL coach will reign in those egos.  Matthews is probably hoping he gets traded to Arizona.  Dubas is hoping that he doesn't get discovered for what he is - a wunderkind that was given the keys to Fort Knox and threw a frat party.  I imagine Dubas is hoping he can clean up this mess before Mom and Dad get home and the **** really hits the fan.  Is it bad that I am really enjoying this? 

Keefe and Dubas have been linked for a while. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Dubas

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The problem is that half of their team is scared of paper cuts.

that TO squad needs Miller and Roussel. But they can't have them :lol: 

I have no idea what kind of coaching style the new AHL dude has, but you have to think TO is taking calls today on trades. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that TO squad needs Miller and Roussel. But they can't have them :lol: 

I have no idea what kind of coaching style the new AHL dude has, but you have to think TO is taking calls today on trades. 

If Shannahan compounds this by letting Dumbass make some trades, Christmas will come early for the rest of the league.  The smartest thing Dubas has done was lottery protecting the 1st he traded to get rid of Marleau.

Leafs Org. Has shot themselves in the foot.

4 years ago they said they have a plan, obviously they aren’t sticking with it and tweeking what they need to.

^^ that is a management and operations obligation, not the Coaches.
Babcock is a great Coach, but if your Coaching knuckle heads that management gives you, what can you do.

Shanahan is egocentric and contributes very little or nothing,.  Wendel Clarke could contribute more.

Dumbass is again playing to the Toronto Media, like he did dealing with Nylander, screwed his Cap for many years, and is scapegoating on Babcock to create a distraction for another blundered year and lack lustre seasons to follow.

There is no system in place to support the Leafs, no prospects banging on the door,

Only millionaire kids who pull down their pants and aren’t grown up enough for a mans game.. and listen to no body any way.

So now what Dumbass??

Whats your plan??

Youve just given Seattle the biggest opportunity a fresh Expansion Team could ever hope to have.

At least Babcock wouldn’t have to deal with children for players or millennial Coaches looking for a App to win a Stanley Cup.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Button actually turned on Babcock right at the beginning of the season when he scratched Jason Spezza in the season opener against his old team, Ottawa, purportedly because Spezza's penalty killing wasn't up to scratch.

"Mitch Marner kills penalties. John Tavares kills penalties. (Alex) Kerfoot kills penalties," Button said. "I’m going to be really straightforward here, that is an unacceptable rationale for scratching Jason Spezza."

Thanks, good to know, I didn’t hear that from Button...I do wonder how much Babs wanted Spezza on the team in the first place? Like it’s been said by Commodore, if your not in his plans he’s not gonna play you...that’s on Dubas then. I really wonder how much things were breaking down between coach and GM. Had to be huge to go this route!

Also Commodore is a jack ass, he should take a look in the mirror. He’s been trying this aggressive twitter BS for a while now, trying to make it his shtick...like last year when he tweeted to McGinn in Carolina, “pack your $&!# you’ve been traded”...only to be wrong. The guy has no class. I don’t take his word for much.The only thing he does is drink and complain on twitter...when he posted that tweet about Mcguinn he took a pic of his crappy scribbled trade notes at the same time and you could see he had “eff mike Babcock” written all over it..he’s such a pro lol. 

Edit, found his notes lol, just read them? Babcock is in left page right corner..Kevin hayes on the other page, apparently eff him too? 

4D92DBF7-4DDC-450D-B3C3-3F77B2EE292C.jpeg

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

@SabreFan1

Would the Sabres be interested in Babcock?  Great young core of players, but not sustaining their winning.  

No.  They already have a coach the players like plus there are still hard feelings by the organization because Babcock used the Sabres to inflate his Leafs salary.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

He coaches well, and wins championships.  Period.

2016 World Cup

2014 Olympics Gold

2010 Olympics Gold

2008 Stanley Cup

2004 World Championship

etc

I'm sure I missed a few here or there including 1997 WJHC gold.  The fact I could miss a few here or there while listing his accolades says plenty about his qualifications to take over for Green.

Wow he can win with massively stacked teams. #overrated, no thank you. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

Don’t worry I’m sure this is part of the Shannaplan... right??

Lol. The Laffs are a dumpster fire. Firing Babcock won’t fix anything. Dubas screwed them by signing all these high skilled players to mega contracts with no cap room to fix their defence or address the lack of grit or size. They are such a easy team to intimidate and play against. 

It’s gonna be fun watching the Center of the universe implode this season :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Thanks, good to know, I didn’t hear that from Button...I do wonder how much Babs wanted Spezza on the team in the first place? Like it’s been said by Commodore, if your not in his plans he’s not gonna play you...that’s on Dubas then. I really wonder how much things were breaking down between coach and GM. Had to be huge to go this route!

Also Commodore is a jack ass, he should take a look in the mirror. He’s been trying this aggressive twitter BS for a while now, trying to make it his shtick...like last year when he tweeted to McGinn in Carolina, “pack your $&!# you’ve been traded”...only to be wrong. The guy has no class. I don’t take his word for much.The only thing he does is drink and complain on twitter...when he posted that tweet about Mcguinn he took a pic of his crappy scribbled trade notes at the same time and you could see he had “eff mike Babcock” written all over it..he’s such a pro lol. 

Edit, found his notes lol, just read them? Babcock is in left page right corner..Kevin hayes on the other page, apparently eff him too? 

4D92DBF7-4DDC-450D-B3C3-3F77B2EE292C.jpeg

"Commie" seems like a baby and comes off looking really bad here. If he wouldn't have played like garbage I'm sure he would have been in more games.

Edited by gerry35
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I knew the hire Babcock brigade would be out in full force and honestly have no issue if the team wants to move on from Green. However, Babcock is massively overrated and not the guy to do it imo. 

Brad Larsen would be one of my top picks for a guy who may be available. And please if you can Travis JB let Newell go with him. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1