The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs fire Mike Babcock, name Sheldon Keefe as new head coach

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

"Commie" seems like a baby and comes off looking really bad here. If he wouldn't have played like garbage I'm sure he would have been in more games.

The thing is Commodore went on to play really well after being traded (the first time around when he was under Babcock in Anaheim's system) the second time under Babcock he wasn't given a chance to “play better” as he was scratched from the get go... Babcock is an overrated arrogant piece of crap.

If he had a record like Scotty Bowman’s I could see him being worth the headache, but he rode a stacked roster to a cup when he should have got 2 or 3 out of that lineup. And he rode the coattails of stacked team Canada rosters. Yawn, not that impressive imo and not worth the headache. At all. Good post game interviews though, if you like a coach that lacks ANY accountability. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

If Shannahan compounds this by letting Dumbass make some trades, Christmas will come early for the rest of the league.  The smartest thing Dubas has done was lottery protecting the 1st he traded to get rid of Marleau.

If he has that kind of leash on Dubie then maybe the Leafs will have a new GM soon too.... they desperately need a physical F and better defence, not sure how they're going to accomplish it but a move wouldn't surprise me. 

He wasn't the problem, Dubas and the contracts he signed are. Team is hamstrung by those four large contracts and has no wiggle room to fill out the roster with the depth it needs up front and on the back end. 

Toronto Edmonton'd themselves. I've heard both sides on Babs but he's not a bad coach by any stretch. 

• Upvote 2

Leafs management, are too busy outsmarting each other and the owners are also well aware that despite the record the Leafs brand will make money.  In a way, this kinda makes the Aquillini group (despite the supposed meddling) more tolerable (to me) because they are also fans of this team.

Babcock was the scapegoat this round; I assume, Keefe is now his coach.  Dubas reminds me of the efficiency expert or the new hire at work, who has no idea how the work gets done and has no real respect for the job but seems to think to know how to do it better than everyone.  Basically, he see's the GM job as a temp job while Shanahan keeps his seat warm and the next GM - his choice - will have the joy of cleaning up his decisions.  In my opinion:  the theory, is to spend to appease the fan base with the help of the media to help sell a narrative.  Of course, my assumption is that the powers that be are choosing Dubas over Shanahan...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

To people saying Babs is hyped...you don’t get a 6.25 mil per year contract for being an average/overrated coach. He was touted as one of the best in the league until he came to Toronto. That shine has worn off on him, but he’s got more tricks up his sleeve than Green could ever dream of. 

If I honestly had my way, we would have went after Trotz when Washington stupidly let him go. To me he’s the best coach in the entire NHL. But i’d settle for Babcock. I’m tired of rookie coaches...WD and now Green. I’d like some proven experience behind the bench. 

At at the end of the day I really don’t think Green is going to get fired anyways so we’re all just rambling for nothing lol. But it’s nice to share opinions and laugh and the Leafs for a day ::D 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

To people saying Babs is hyped...you don’t get a 6.25 mil per year contract for being an average/overrated coach. He was touted as one of the best in the league until he came to Toronto. That shine has worn off on him, but he’s got more tricks up his sleeve than Green could ever dream of. 

If I honestly had my way, we would have went after Trotz when Washington stupidly let him go. To me he’s the best coach in the entire NHL. But i’d settle for Babcock. I’m tired of rookie coaches...WD and now Green. I’d like some proven experience behind the bench. 

At at the end of the day I really don’t think Green is going to get fired anyways so we’re all just rambling for nothing lol. But it’s nice to share opinions and laugh and the Leafs for a day ::D 

He was hyped as the perfect general and his reputation of winning caused the Leafs.  In Detroit, he had good synergy with Holland and Illich and to a certain extent, in Toronto because it seems to be progressing as planned when Shanahan with Lamoriello was making the important decisions; that is why I was very surprised when Lamoriello was fired but not surprised why the Islanders hired him (Islanders doing well).  In my opinion, when looking at past performances - context will always matters.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

He was hyped as the perfect general and his reputation of winning caused the Leafs.  In Detroit, he had good synergy with Holland and Illich; to a certain extent in Toronto, it seems to be progressing when Shanahan with Lamoriello was making the decisions.  I was surprised when Lamoriello was fired and hired by the Islanders (Islanders doing well).

They should have never let Lou go! Agreed, they did have a good program set up in Detroit. It’s good to see Holland doing well...even tho it’s for the Oilers! I was a big Wings fan growing up. I was always impress with their drafting...always had us wondering who else they would dig up and unearth and make into a star. Sad to see those days gone. Very happy to see Stevey Y come back home. He’ll right the ship again.

6 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

They should have never let Lou go! Agreed, they did have a good program set up in Detroit. It’s good to see Holland doing well...even tho it’s for the Oilers! I was a big Wings fan growing up. I was always impress with their drafting...always had us wondering who else they would dig up and unearth and make into a star. Sad to see those days gone. Very happy to see Stevey Y come back home. He’ll right the ship again.

More than likely, the inner politics within the group did not allow for it to continue any longer: to many similar personality types that is use to getting it there way.  Atleast, Lamoriello had a tracked record.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

More than likely, the inner politics within the group did not allow for it to continue any longer...

Could be, nothing lasts forever eh. We don’t see dynasties like we did back in the 80s and beyond. Different game now. So much change happening all the time. Teams are lucky to stay competitive for 5 years, let alone 10 years. That’s the salary cap era for you. 

Edited by Attila Umbrus

6 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Could be, nothing lasts forever eh. We don’t see dynasties like we did back in the 80s and beyond. Different game now. So much change happening all the time. Teams are lucky to stay competitive for 5 years, let alone 10 years. That’s the salary cap era for you. 

The cap and with the help of new technology, the new generations with there new theories have always been the big reason for change; but the Patriots might have a few things to say about mixing the old with the new.

Edited by ShawnAntoski