The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs fire Mike Babcock, name Sheldon Keefe as new head coach

Rate this topic

17 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

The cap and with the help of new technology, the new generations with there new theories have always been the big reason for change; but the Patriots might have a few things to say about mixing the old with the new.

The Pats love or hate em, the last dynasty! I agree, luck has a lot to do with it. I mean how do you plan on drafting a cyborg in Brady and the perfect technician in Belichick to keep him maintained. It’s been impressive to say the least. And so much more from Kraft the owner all the way down that entire team has buy in. It’s so rare to see in sports.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

Babcock is still an experienced coach that has been able to coach teams to championships.  Is he has godly as some people make him out to be?  No.  Could he be an upgrade on Green?  I'd say so given his experience alone. 

Having an experienced coach for our inexperienced roster would be pretty valuable.  Green (an inexperienced coach) leading an inexperienced team into battle doesn't sit well with me.

They can negotiate a settlement.  Which might be the case if he wants a release to coach another team? 

But it was otherwise a binding contract. You cant just give two weeks notice, + a week for each year of service. Similarly, if they are paying Babcock full bottle? The Leafs can refuse him permission to work elsewhere in the NHL. 

So in most cases, they agree on that reduced settlement. But allow him to work elsewhere. 

• Cheers 1

I find it a bit interesting that many are on the get the experienced coach bandwagon. When AV was here, he was run out of town by the media and fans. And now it's complaining about inexperienced coaches and running them out of town.

The team has embraced that a rebuild takes time. Aquilini has backed Benning's plan and has extended him. They've extended the assistant coaches. They're committed to this rebuild and it's just a matter of time to see how it pays off. They're not going to blow things up simply because a coach that didn't have success with his current (former) team become available. He's getting paid millions to sit around, so what's his motive to drop all that money unless of course he gets offered something worth it for him.

Coaches like Gallant and Trotz had a good rep with less than stellar teams, so you just knew they could coach just about anybody. Babcock can coach stacked teams, but faced with a challenge like Toronto and he's taken them nowhere beyond okay regular seasons.

• Cheers 4

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Babcock would be a good fit, he won with DET and he could win with VAN

Datsyuk - Pettersson

Zetterberg - Horvat

Lidstrom - Edler

Rafalski - Hughes

Franzen - Boeser

Holmstrom - Virtanen

Matthews - pants dropper

Marner - greedy with attitude

Nylander - greedy and lazy with attitude

Tavares - backstabbed his former team to play at home

Rielly - okay, he's good

If Edler and Horvat ever became 80% of Zetterberg and/or Lidstrom we’d be set. Hec, Willie D likely could’ve went 82-0 with that wings roster.  

15 hours ago, HKSR said:

He coaches well, and wins championships.  Period.

2016 World Cup

2014 Olympics Gold

2010 Olympics Gold

2008 Stanley Cup

2004 World Championship

etc

I'm sure I missed a few here or there including 1997 WJHC gold.  The fact I could miss a few here or there while listing his accolades says plenty about his qualifications to take over for Green.

Hey I'm not saying he's a bad coach by any means, I just don't think he's as good of a coach anymore as he used to be. 

Also, every team on your list was stacked. I think they could've picked any coach to coach those teams and they would've won.

All I'm saying is, he hasn't won a championship in the NHL since 2008 and at this point in time, I don't think he's an upgade on Green. I don't think Green is perfect by any means, but he's had this team playing much better than they should've the last couple of years.

There's a lot of good teams in the league that aren't playing very well at this moment that have a better team than the Canucks. It's not always on the coach.

This is all my opinion though and you're also welcome to yours, so we'll agree to disagree here :)

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I find it a bit interesting that many are on the get the experienced coach bandwagon. When AV was here, he was run out of town by the media and fans. And now it's complaining about inexperienced coaches and running them out of town.

The team has embraced that a rebuild takes time. Aquilini has backed Benning's plan and has extended him. They've extended the assistant coaches. They're committed to this rebuild and it's just a matter of time to see how it pays off. They're not going to blow things up simply because a coach that didn't have success with his current (former) team become available. He's getting paid millions to sit around, so what's his motive to drop all that money unless of course he gets offered something worth it for him.

Coaches like Gallant and Trotz had a good rep with less than stellar teams, so you just knew they could coach just about anybody. Babcock can coach stacked teams, but faced with a challenge like Toronto and he's taken them nowhere beyond okay regular seasons.

Fair points to bring up. Although I will say I was and always will be an AV fan. I watched him grow with the Manitoba Moose then with our big club. I get your point, AV was known for defensive hard nosed hockey and had to grow with the Sedins and allow them to play their game. Maybe Green can do this with our kids. But you have to be willing to change like AV did...Green hasn’t shown that ability imo... He’s almost too stubborn to change? I honestly would give him way more rope if he showed some learning curve like AV did. I just haven’t seen it yet. You are right tho, we are committed to the rebuild. I’m more in the court that we won’t see Green extended beyond his current contract...hopefully there will be some good options come that time.

28 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Fair points to bring up. Although I will say I was and always will be an AV fan. I watched him grow with the Manitoba Moose then with our big club. I get your point, AV was known for defensive hard nosed hockey and had to grow with the Sedins and allow them to play their game. Maybe Green can do this with our kids. But you have to be willing to change like AV did...Green hasn’t shown that ability imo... He’s almost too stubborn to change? I honestly would give him way more rope if he showed some learning curve like AV did. I just haven’t seen it yet. You are right tho, we are committed to the rebuild. I’m more in the court that we won’t see Green extended beyond his current contract...hopefully there will be some good options come that time.

It's certainly fair game to decide whether to continue with Green at the end of his contract. But that's another season after this one away. I think the goal this season is to make the playoffs. But we are protected from giving up our 1st if we do not, so if we don't make it this year, then Green will be more in the hot seat. Right now, IMO coaching isn't a major issue. Green is just finally getting the players he wants for the system he wants to play, but injuries have taken that away temporarily. Green is certainly not at the level of a Gallant or Trotz yet, but he's a young coach that is also learning. The team has improved year by year during his tenure.

Stubbornness can be confused with consistency. Green likely wants the team to play a certain way and if players want to get more ice time, then they need to play this way. Right or wrong, I think it's better that a coach is consistent to not create confusion on what a player needs to do to make it on his team. I've seen changes in the PP. There's only so many changes that can be made on a PK, but the PK has always been pretty decent. When the lineup is healthy, the team plays pretty incredible 5v5. So he needs to learn to adapt to lesser lineups when injuries arise, but that's also a matter of depth which is coming.

I'm not making up my mind yet whether Green should be extended or not, but in the meantime I don't think he needs to be fired because Babcock is available. We will see who's available when his contract is up, but at the same time, the team is growing with him. He's also a BC boy, so likely he really wants to succeed here.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

It's certainly fair game to decide whether to continue with Green at the end of his contract. But that's another season after this one away. I think the goal this season is to make the playoffs. But we are protected from giving up our 1st if we do not, so if we don't make it this year, then Green will be more in the hot seat. Right now, IMO coaching isn't a major issue. Green is just finally getting the players he wants for the system he wants to play, but injuries have taken that away temporarily. Green is certainly not at the level of a Gallant or Trotz yet, but he's a young coach that is also learning. The team has improved year by year during his tenure.

Stubbornness can be confused with consistency. Green likely wants the team to play a certain way and if players want to get more ice time, then they need to play this way. Right or wrong, I think it's better that a coach is consistent to not create confusion on what a player needs to do to make it on his team. I've seen changes in the PP. There's only so many changes that can be made on a PK, but the PK has always been pretty decent. When the lineup is healthy, the team plays pretty incredible 5v5. So he needs to learn to adapt to lesser lineups when injuries arise, but that's also a matter of depth which is coming.

I'm not making up my mind yet whether Green should be extended or not, but in the meantime I don't think he needs to be fired because Babcock is available. We will see who's available when his contract is up, but at the same time, the team is growing with him. He's also a BC boy, so likely he really wants to succeed here.

Very valid points. I’m trying to be patient with Green, but this year it’s been hard for me. I do agree that we are finally giving him a roster to work with. And i’m totally willing to say I was wrong if he does grow and become better as the team progresses. I’m just having a hard time seeing it in him. I have to remind myself that AV didn’t see eye to eye with the Sedins and had the reigns tight on them for his first few seasons with the club. But once he let the leash off a bit it paid huge dividends for him. I kinda see the same thing with Petey and Boes right now. You want to teach them a sound responsible game but you don’t want to kill their creativity...such a hard thing to strike a balance on as a coach. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Some people might buy into Babcock being the saviour, but I am not.

I rip on Green a lot, but I am not sure that Mike Babcock is the guy.

Seems like playing heavy D is starting to make a comeback, the Blues won a Cup that way, and the Islanders and Arizona are also following this model.

It sucks, because I hate trap hockey.

Arizona has Housley coaching their Ds.  He played a key role in defining the D strategy in Nashville - he's about skills and puck control.  They moved Weber.  

18 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is an opportunity for Benning to be bold, but I don't think he will be. He will stay the course - because it's a process (yawn) Maybe by "process", they mean lose a lot, get draft picks and possibly design a 5th jersey to keep fans interested.

But seriously, I think he wants to give Green every chance to win with this team. Loyalty has been this organization's Achilles Heal IMO. Keep the Sedins forever, keep Edler forever, no way they'll trade Tanev, trying to appreciate the PK effectiveness of the $6 Million Dollar Man even though he threw his coach under the bus, give Newell Brown an extension for his amazing drop pass, etc.

Loyalty is what distinguishes us from the Leafs and the Oilers. Or even heck, the Ottawa Senators.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, J-23 said:

lol @ all the people calling Babcock overrated.

Most of them are letting their hatred of the Leafs cloud their judgment on one of the most accomplished head coaches in the league.

I'm confident wherever he goes next, within 1 or 2 seasons, the team will finish in the Top 10 in the league and be a legitimate cup contender.

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

AV had a first round exit and the team was consistently on the decline since their playoffs.

His firing was perfectly logical.