The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs fire Mike Babcock, name Sheldon Keefe as new head coach

Rate this topic

Just now, Alflives said:

Career and job IMO are different.  These players have been sacrificing from a young age to become NHL players.  That is their career.  What else would they do that could pay like hockey does?  

Ask for a trade to another team? Maybe retire off the millions they've made and have a happy life. There are other jobs out there, not making millions, but stress free.  Money isn't everything, specially when it comes to ones happiness and peace of mind. I agree career and job are different, but neither are as important as who you are.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Cherry is likely still getting jobs in the States.  US companies will hire Don.  I don't see anyone willing to take on Peters.  Did Babcock do anything really bad?  

Did Peters or Don? Constantly berating certain players over the course of years who are unwilling or unable to fight back with foul language and etc. is a helluva lot worse than what these two were dismissed over

Seems like if these guys are done then so should Babs. If not - Peters should be reinstated immediately. 

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Seems like if these guys are done then so should Babs. If not - Peters should be reinstated immediately. 

Should and will are different. Peters won’t. 

Don is old, but is already running a podcast with his son. He’s fine.

Babs will coach again, because all he did was hurt some millionaires feelings who believe they are above the rest of us.

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Did Peters or Don? Constantly berating certain players over the course of years who are unwilling or unable to fight back with foul language and etc. is a helluva lot worse than what these two were dismissed over

I think swearing is pretty common in hockey.  Plus, coaches yell.  I don't know what Babcock did that's so bad, other than the stupid thing with Marner.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think swearing is pretty common in hockey.  Plus, coaches yell.  I don't know what Babcock did that's so bad, other than the stupid thing with Marner.  

Maybe that sort of thing went on with the Wings too. Who knows for sure. At the minimum it appears he was being a major asshole on more than one account. It's not like Franzen was some scrub who had to take it because he was fighting for a job in the NHL; he should've fought back against that sort of behavior once it was evident it wasn't going to stop/he couldn't handle it anymore. I won't judge since everyone is different in that regard. And therefore his inability to led him to PTSD

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Monty said:

Should and will are different. Peters won’t. 

Don is old, but is already running a podcast with his son. He’s fine.

Babs will coach again, because all he did was hurt some millionaires feelings who believe they are above the rest of us.

you could say the same about Peters. But Peters wasn't even talking about Akim. Yet, feelings are feelings and both of them were rattled.

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Maybe that sort of thing went on with the Wings too. Who knows for sure. At the minimum it appears he was being a major asshole on more than one account. It's not like Franzen was some scrub who had to take it because he was fighting for a job in the NHL; he should've fought back against that sort of behavior once it was evident it wasn't going to stop/he couldn't handle it anymore. I won't judge since everyone is different in that regard. And therefore his inability to led him to PTSD

Good point.  NHL coaches seem archaic in their methods of motivation.  Why even have a coach that needs to motivate?  The players should be self motivated to compete, and win.  Shouldn't that motivation come from within the player?  

46 minutes ago, Monty said:

It’s a difficult balance. The time to bring up teaching moments at work for subordinates is right in the moment. Waiting until there performance review to bring up some error or something wrong they did months ago helps nothing. Both for you and the employee.

However, I’ve also noticed the under 35 crowd, not all obviously, is difficult to teach without having some sort of added “issue.” My old coworker, who experienced the same bad manager I did from 2011-2014, come to me in 2016 after both of us were long gone from that organization and said, “So, I’ve talked to a number of our old coworkers who used to work for “insert managers name”, and I’m getting signatures so we can bring it up to the current CEO of the corporation,” (this is a massive company BTW). He, by his own admission at the time as well, said that he wanted to get my input on what he was doing (he was in his late 20s). I just said:

“Travis, our boss is literally 4 months away from retiring. What’s the purpose from doing this? What I mean is, what do we hope to gain from taking her down a peg and ruining her last 4 months? For her entire career, she wasn’t a manager, and only managed herself. It wasn’t until her last 6 years working for the company (after a 35+ year career) where she was thrust into a management role that, she herself, said was a mistake to have taken. While I’m not going to tell you what to do here, I’d strongly advise against something like this. Honestly, if you table it for a year, you’ll have moved on and won’t even care.”

He appreciated my advise. Ended up not doing it, and said that he was wrong. But he was also the person that couldn’t take criticism from our boss at all. I just don’t get this type of thinking.

I’ll also add that I live by the advice our family lawyer told me and my brothers when I was a teenager:

”Work like an immigrant. People come from much worse circumstances and environments, work 5 times as hard, and do it with a smile on their face without complaining. Don’t like you job because you think someone should treat you better? Well, somebody is just waiting to do your job and won’t complain one second about it.”

Athletes are fragile, as they’ve had yes men catering to them.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good point.  NHL coaches seem archaic in their methods of motivation.  Why even have a coach that needs to motivate?  The players should be self motivated to compete, and win.  Shouldn't that motivation come from within the player?  

thats why Jim's been trying to draft for character. 

But for coaches, I can see why sometimes they have to go to some lengths to make a point, they're often dealing with millionaire babies that never had any barriers to anything, so dealing with a bench full of that would be difficult. I'm looking at you, Toronto. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats why Jim's been trying to draft for character. 

But for coaches, I can see why sometimes they have to go to some lengths to make a point, they're often dealing with millionaire babies that never had any barriers to anything, so dealing with a bench full of that would be difficult. I'm looking at you, Toronto. 

Good point JM.  We need character guys, so we can win the Cup (and more than one please).

Millionaire babies don't lead their teams to Cups.  Guys like Toews, Crosby, OV, Bergeron are millionaires, but they have very strong character.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Good point JM.  We need character guys, so we can win the Cup (and more than one please).

Millionaire babies don't lead their teams to Cups.  Guys like Toews, Crosby, OV, Bergeron are millionaires, but they have very strong character.  

yup, Matthews has none. He'll never win a cup. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

It almost feels like the TML media machine in overdrive. Always got get stories out that show TML do the right thing.

So true. And to think this is the same media that crowned Babs best coach in the NHL only a few years ago. What a joke. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Monty said:

No. Saying that quality of captain doesn’t equate to a Cup.

Matthews isn't a Captain, and (likely) will never be one.  He's a very selfish, almost childlike, person.  Hank was a man, who played (and lives) with honor.  There are selfish losers who win Cups too, but how many selfish losers lead their teams to Cups?  How many selfish losers, who put themselves first, are the leader of Cup winners?  Doughty maybe?  Or were the two LA Cups mostly lead by Kopitar and Brown?  

• Cheers 1