The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs fire Mike Babcock, name Sheldon Keefe as new head coach

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Keefe was Dubas’ guy in SSM and I believe Dubas is the one who hired him to coach the Marlies too. Dubas has been waiting to make this move since day one. 

As much as I think Babs is overrated, I think this mess still falls on Dubas. A couple years ago Babs coached the Leafs (minus Tavares) to a 100+ point season. Dubas has depleted the depth through massive contracts to four forwards, somehow made their defence worse, and failed to find a backup goalie. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

I think Bab took the fall for Dubas...not Babcock's fault Dubas committed 40 million of their cap space to 4 players, and when their players are going through a rough patch without secondary scoring, down goes the team...Hockey is a team sport, not a one line sport. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is an opportunity for Benning to be bold, but I don't think he will be. He will stay the course - because it's a process (yawn) Maybe by "process", they mean lose a lot, get draft picks and possibly design a 5th jersey to keep fans interested.

But seriously, I think he wants to give Green every chance to win with this team. Loyalty has been this organization's Achilles Heal IMO. Keep the Sedins forever, keep Edler forever, no way they'll trade Tanev, trying to appreciate the PK effectiveness of the $6 Million Dollar Man even though he threw his coach under the bus, give Newell Brown an extension for his amazing drop pass, etc.

Exactly fire Green and bring in a proven winning coach, do waste your time when no good candidates are avaiable

Shanahan and Dubas:  let's build a roster where 4 forwards who don't play a defensive game take up almost 50% of the cap.

Also Shanahan and Dubas:  Let's fire Babcock for not making the team play better defensively and replace him with our boy Keefe

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is an opportunity for Benning to be bold, but I don't think he will be. He will stay the course - because it's a process (yawn) Maybe by "process", they mean lose a lot, get draft picks and possibly design a 5th jersey to keep fans interested.

I don't think the Aquilinis are going to settle for a lot of losing anymore. If the team doesn't make the playoffs, Benning is most likely gone.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

But seriously, I think he wants to give Green every chance to win with this team. Loyalty has been this organization's Achilles Heal IMO. Keep the Sedins forever, keep Edler forever, no way they'll trade Tanev, trying to appreciate the PK effectiveness of the $6 Million Dollar Man even though he threw his coach under the bus, give Newell Brown an extension for his amazing drop pass, etc.

They were handcuffed by the Sedins contracts.

Edler has been a workhorse that Green is still leaning too heavily on.

Tanev's value is better served as a player than a menial draft pick in a later round.

Screw Eriksson.

Brown's extension is as bad an idea as the Eriksson extension.

• Upvote 1