The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs fire Mike Babcock, name Sheldon Keefe as new head coach

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

This team has been in the top of the league for the last three Octobers. The big problem is getting them to win the other 5 months of the season.

Yeah, a team that's rebuilding doesn't make the playoffs. Let's blame that on the coach.

They were never expected to make the playoffs in any of those years. They were closer last year and had too many injuries to key players that didn't help them. 

November has always been a tough month for us.

Let's let the rest of the month play out at the very least before we start panicking with "fire the coach"

• Cheers 1

Nux can use him.  I assume he will not be as expensive since he already got a lot of money, and still gets paid. 

He has won at every level.  Cup, Olympics, world cup, world championships, etc. 

Coaches have shelf lives. 

If Green can take turn the nux around, I say we dump him and get a proven NHL coach. 

• Wat 3

Just now, Jaimito said:

Nux can use him.  I assume he will not be as expensive since he already got a lot of money, and still gets paid. 

He has won at every level.  Cup, Olympics, world cup, world championships, etc. 

Coaches have shelf lives. 

If Green can take turn the nux around, I say we dump him and get a proven NHL coach. 

No they sure as f can't. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

It's not like we're supposed to be competing for a cup. We're supposed to be challenging for a playoff spot, which btw, we're still in right now. Our "talent" is still young. It's going to take another couple of years before we're at the level where we can start thinking "we're not at the top of the league and doing as well as expected, time to let our coach go".

Now, if we have another 10 game stretch as bad as this one? Then yeah, we should definitely look at the coaching and see what can be done.

As of right now though, we're on course to be where we're supposed to be and firing our coach is not the correct move at this point in time

So we take the chance that we may fall into another a slump like this, fire Green, and try and find someone suitable to replace him?

Whereas right now, there's a proven championship winning coach ready to sign up. 

It should have been Dubas who was let go. Over here, Benning keeps getting ridiculed for overpaying but Dubas is at least just as bad. Tavares wanted to be a Leaf so bad and yet Dubas still gave him a monstrous contract. Nylander played a lot in a non top-6 role, but Dubas paid him top line dollars after Nylander held the team ransom by threatening not to play. Even though clearly none of the other teams would offer sheet Marner, because Dubas was scared that Marner will pull a Nylander, Dubas gave him huge money. With the salary being tight, Dubas had to let go of 2 productive players in Kadri and Gardiner and managed to spin it off as getting rid of the popular scapegoats for their playoff losses. Leafs may get a temporary boost from this firing as the players are now playing for pride, but we'll see if it gets sustained for the rest of the season.

Edited by vinny_in_vancouver
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BobbyClarke said:

For those who want Travis fired, look at the calendar.  Its November!  Don't worry, the slump will be over in 11 days.

And if it doesn't?  I can see him fired if they go on another 10 gm losing streak like last season. 

Nuff of WD and TG. The team is ready for the next level coaching. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

So we take the chance that we may fall into another a slump like this, fire Green, and try and find someone suitable to replace him?

Whereas right now, there's a proven championship winning coach ready to sign up. 

A proven championship winning coach 12 seasons ago. He is no longer the same coach and the game is completely different now.

Not to mention all of the people that have consistently said that players do not like playing for him.

I don't think he's the right fit for this team.

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Like I said in a previous post, couldn't be any worse than Green.  Treat this as with any acquisition.  Reflect on what the upside could be, and what the worst case could be.  Worst case is that we are as bad as we are now.  Best case is Babcock gets the most out of this roster.

I absolutely LOVE. Green.

But this is Coach Canada we’re talking about.