The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Babcock or Green. Who would you rather see coach the Canucks.

Rate this topic

rekker

Who would you like to see coaching the Canucks?  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Always said Babcock is way overrated, He was never a top 7 coach. He took over a very good Detroit team years ago..

Toronto signs him for 6 Million = stupid crazy

Mathews - over paid

Tavares - Over paid

Marner - over paid

Big trouble over 33 million with 3 players.. Next summer they have to sign most of there D core ? 

Poor signings and still no backup...

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I'd let Green finish the year (unless the Canucks go in a tailspin in december/january).  If we don't make the playoffs, he's gone (benning too probably).  If we barely make it into the playoffs and gets ousted in 4-5, I'd consider changing coach as well.  

I don't think it's safe to put things in this-or-that terms. Yes, it's about results, but also growth of players both individually and in the collective. If there is still realistic anticipation of improvement and if the players like playing for Green, those are heavy factors to weigh in any decision, too. Green's best players are very young … they're still learning how to play at this level. It's not surprising at all that they haven't proven they can win at this level yet. Lots of ways to measure progress.

I don't have any concrete opinions of Green as a coach yet …. but I do like to see a coach get his chance with a team that CAN win, and I don't really think we have that group yet. But despite the recent drop-off, we are getting closer to finding out.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Always said Babcock is way overrated, He was never a top 7 coach. He took over a very good Detroit team years ago..

Toronto signs him for 6 Million = stupid crazy

Mathews - over paid

Tavares - Over paid

Marner - over paid

Big trouble over 33 million with 3 players.. Next summer they have to sign most of there D core ? 

Poor signings and still no backup...

This was supposed to be their last year to win before all the money gets tied up...now they will struggle for a few years or until the cap goes up unless they’ve drafted guys (particularly defenseman) that can help balance it out.  A coaching change was needed as he definitely lost the room - it would be awesome to know why - my bet is he was motivating them in Torts/Keenesque fashion and these entitled young guys couldn’t take the criticism.  The 10% that still wanted him was probably limited to Muzzin, Reilly, Hyman and Tavares.   

Mathews shows up sometimes - but other games he’s not even noticeable.  Reminds me of Kovalev a little (not skill-wise - Kovalev had that in spades and should have had a HHOF career if he applied himself more) - when he’s on he’s one of the best forwards in the game - when he’s not he’s invisible.  

Losing Kadri was a mistake.  Great cap hit - gave them maybe the best top nine in the league.   Dirty player but any team would love to have him.  No way they would have lost to Boston with the lead they had it Kadri wasn’t suspended.  Last year was their best chance at a cup with this group / this year their second best chance.   They could turn it around.  AJ and Kapanen and Hyman are all on good cap hits and very good support players.   They’d have to change to a 200 foot game to help their defense out...not sure a new coach can do it with these players though.   SK has worked with a lot of them so there’s that...

It wasn't that long ago people were hailing Green to be the coaching boy wonder and the next saviour. If he's as great as people were hailing him to be, then he'll obviously turn things around, right?

Timing doesn't feel right on Babcock. We're still hanging on to a playoff spot despite the decline, which is what management went all in for this season with the signings. As long as we're in that hunt, I can't see Green going anywhere. Plus we're plagued by injuries, so there's that, too.

If we're healthy, though, and falling out of the playoffs come the new year, Green will be in hot seat for sure. I think management is committed to giving Green every opportunity to get us into the playoffs this season.

• Cheers 1

I posted this in another thread but likely more relevant here.

I'm extremely frustrated with Green in relation to team toughness.. and i think if this isn't addressed, either through firing or a stern talking to by the GM, the nucks are destined to fail.

After watching Green behind the bench for 2 full seasons.. I'm of the opinion that Canucks lack of push back and team toughness is 100% Green's coaching style.

Keep in mind, with the exception of some European players, everyone else grew up playing hockey through the ranks in North America. The culture of hockey being a rough game where players engage in retribution, fighting, team strength, eye for an eye is well ingrained in North American hockey. The fighting might be dieing off, but the players don't simply lose the passion for physicality the second they make the NHL. This type of thinking is being coached out of our players. Green using terms like "hockey play" when Petterson is dumped to the ice is an example of whats going on in the room. 

Do i think Green is a bad coach... no... but is he responsible for the lack of pushback and team toughness? 100%. Guys like Horvat are all character guys...the fact that Horvat isn't preaching team toughness to his squad is not because he doesn't believe in it, it's because his coach doesnt believe in it.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

The last thing I want to see is Mike Babcock coaching the Canucks while Mike Commodore slobbers all over his balls on his Twitter and then starts trashing Vancouver by association.

No to Babcock.   His style is outdated and his coaching style would have a negative impact on Quinn Hughes.

Really a bum player like Commodore can influence your opinion on Babcock... Just because someone rants on social media.... So if Loui Eriksson decided to take this approach you would support Eriksson.... Commodore never got 30 points once in his NHL career. Before signing in Detroit, Columbus tried to trade Commodore, waived him to the minors couldn't trade him so ended up buying him out to just get ride of him. And he's mad at Babcock.... Give me a break Commodore was no one, he's the last person I would listen to regarding anything, can't believe how easily people can be influenced when listening to someone like this because he just ranted on social media. If the player who was ranting was a legit star type player then maybe I'd listen, but Commodore isn't or wasn't, he was a plug player that's all, don't get fooled by his useless rant.

• Upvote 1

If we had a veteran laden team I would be more likely to think Babcock would be a good fit.

I think he is too old school dinosaur to lead our young team of kids.  I am not sure Green is the answer, but he is o ot a few games into having even a slightly decent roster... so it is too early to tell.

For me, Green gets at least until this point next year.  If we miss the playoffs this year and are at the bottom of the standings 20 games in next year I can see either Benning or Green being turfed.

What's actually alarming regarding Green and our last coach WD, WD actually had a better win percentage then what Green is having at this moment, that's alarming. Green is supposedly coaching a more younger faster skilled team then what WD coached, yet Green is getting a lesser win percentage then what WD was able to get, so is Green really doing better? Stats show he's not unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

What's actually alarming regarding Green and our last coach WD, WD actually had a better win percentage then what Green is having at this moment, that's alarming. Green is supposedly coaching a more younger faster skilled team then what WD coached, yet Green is getting a lesser win percentage then what WD was able to get, so is Green really doing better? Stats show he's not unfortunately.

If the team continues this downward slide in the standings, and in their play, we are likely going to make a coaching change at season's end, right?  Why not make the change now to Babcock, and try to save this season?  Plus, why not get Babcock before he signs with another club?  Coaches like Babcock don't come available very often, when the timing is just right for us.  It's a move our owner could easily sel to the loyal fans, as one that was needed, and now is the right time.  

Fire Green yesterday, and hire Babs today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

The last thing I want to see is Mike Babcock coaching the Canucks while Mike Commodore slobbers all over his balls on his Twitter and then starts trashing Vancouver by association.

No to Babcock.   His style is outdated and his coaching style would have a negative impact on Quinn Hughes.

Lol. Is the first part of this post serious?

17 hours ago, the grinder said:

yep handed a stacked Anaheim team ,  then handed a stacked Detroit team and then handed a stacked Toronto team ,  travis green handed a rebuilding team  and what has babcock done in 5 years nothing but bow out in the first round   

Babs didn’t inherited a stack team in Anaheim. They barely made the playoffs that year and was the 7th seed in the West.