The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Babcock or Green. Who would you rather see coach the Canucks.

Rate this topic

rekker

Who would you like to see coaching the Canucks?  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

39 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

All teams have slumps. Canucks are no different. Didn't hear anybody bitching about Green the first dozen games. As a certified old guy I am advocating patience. Don't get too high when the team is playing well, and don't get too low when they aren't. It is far easier on your heart, your stomach, you nerves and everyone else around you if you just breathe, file the losses under "too bad" and focus on the next game. And know this: the guy you want to fire knows the game better than you do, knows the players better than you do and feels the frustration of losing far deeper than you ever can (except if you yourself have played several seasons in the NHL, then we'll listen to you). As for Babcock, he accomplished virtually nothing in Toronto and precious little in Detroit after 2010, so how is he better than Green?

Fact - it’s been three years no under Green with no playoffs in sight. Lots of us were questioning Green during the first dozen games.

Fact- Babcock coached BOTH Toronto and the Wings into the playoffs. You say he did nothing? 

1 hour ago, CptCanuck16 said:

I think you're trolling but I'll go ahead and respond.  To answer your question the Leafs missed the playoffs from 2006-2012, and again from 2014-2016.  No they didn't maintain the exact same roster over that time period, lol, and  I acknowledged that in my post you are replying to.  2015-2016 was Babcock's first season and coincidentally the last time they have missed the playoffs since. In the Game 7 you are referring to would having Jake Gardiner on the bench have magically made the Leaf players score 4 goals to tie it up?  It was already too late at that point...... But this isn't about the Leafs it's about Babcock.

, just stating the facts   6 years  of being bad. make the playoffs one year and then so bad  that they get the 1st overall pick and other high picks so they should have  a great team right  , hire the money coach and then go out and sign the biggest free agent they could and still fail  and your saying .I am trolling  that is laughable  .  The leafs were winning the game until the third  , and jake got burned 5 times  ,if in game 7  in the 3rd period and d man gets burned twice , you need to sit his ass on the bench , you need to stop the bleeding  and at least give your team a chance to get back in the game .   I bet you travis green would of stapled his ass to the bench .  

you bet it is about the leafs and babcock    .   how else do you evaluate a coach?  thru a team record  in the season and playoffs  and  you brought up the leafs records  so  I guess it is about both the team and the coach  ,  right    ?

21 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

The way you worded that shows me you learned hockey watching tv and not playing 

people like you make me laugh 

Assuming the D man did not carry the puck up the ice, let’s assume left D behind the net. Left winger hooks back gives a target along the boards. centre button hooks in cheating to the left and the right wing hooks at the right circle and watches if the d man passes up the left wing, if he does the right winger cuts up the middle. Gives tge D man 3 targets and the left Winger 2 options 

you should try playing, may keep you from making dumb comments 

Wow you just described the most general positioning of ANY breakout lmao. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Fact - it’s been three years no under Green with no playoffs in sight. Lots of us were questioning Green during the first dozen games.

Fact- Babcock coached BOTH Toronto and the Wings into the playoffs. You say he did nothing? 

Fact: Green inherited a team in a rebuild for his first two years; this year is yet to be determined.

Fact: Babcock inherited teams in their prime with rebuilt rosters. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, the grinder said:

how else do you evaluate a coach?  thru a team record  in the season and playoffs  a

That is correct. A consistent winning record over 1,300 career NHL games. Not based on one Game 7, lol.

GP.          W.       L.       T.      OTL.        GP.      W.    L.      PCT%

Total 1,301 700 418 19 164     164 90 74 .549 1 Stanley Cup
3 Stanley Cup Final appearances
14 playoff appearances

2 hours ago, Bure1010 said:

Wow don’t understand how anyone could prefer green over Babcock. 

‘You People’ (hahaha) that want green have you even watched the Canucks play. Even at the start of the year they give up tons of odd man rushes. Which you could say that happens due to them pressing for offense. Ok well then why Does it seem the Canucks rarely get odd man rushes for. 
green has our stud first line playing grinder dump and chase when they’re skilled with the puck. Petey is one of the most gifted players when he has the puck on his stick not when he dumps and chases. Oh and not to mention how does having the third and fourth line centres panic the coach into playing Petey with Leivo and Pearson that was atrocious to watch might as well have healthy scratched petey. 
The power play yes has had great success. But could you imagine how good it’d be without that stupid breakout drop pass that everyone knows is coming and hinders there zone entries. Yes probably not all on green there but at some point head coach step up and change something. And yes Canucks are cap crunched but they got that way getting the players green wanted. 

Babcock isn’t perfect but look back to last year. He went TIL end of November without one of his top players in nylander say whatever u like about him he is one of Toronto’s top players. Tavares was hurt to start this season and the cap crunch the management has put the team in I’m pretty sure they aren’t the team Babcock wanted. 
not to mention Stanley cup and Olympic gold ain’t that bad. 

green needs to go or change the system cause it ain’t working. And don’t be afraid to play your best players together and the bottom six players in the bottom six and not on the pp

He went TIL end of November without one of his top players in nylander say whatever u like about him he is one of Toronto’s top players. Tavares was hurt to start this season   . so the leafs had some injuries  big deal  stop making excuses for the leafs  , the canucks have lost more man games  than anyone  . you say coach green got the canucks cap crunched  lol   did green sign loui no   , did green sign loungo and his cap hit no  there is 9 million there   so throw that theory out  

6 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

That is correct. A consistent winning record over 1,300 career NHL games. Not based on one Game 7, lol.

GP.          W.       L.       T.      OTL.        GP.      W.    L.      PCT%

Total 1,301 700 418 19 164     164 90 74 .549 1 Stanley Cup
3 Stanley Cup Final appearances
14 playoff appearances

yep handed a stacked Anaheim team ,  then handed a stacked Detroit team and then handed a stacked Toronto team ,  travis green handed a rebuilding team  and what has babcock done in 5 years nothing but bow out in the first round   

Edited by the grinder

I just did an hour over at YouTube with the Babcock firing news and this is what I came away with....

The Torontocentric media ( all the usual guilty networks ) are now *repackaging the September Stanley Cup victory we watched  or read about back then .

Go Laffs:towel:Go!

Edited by 6string

3 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yup. In the past six seasons his teams have been eliminated in the first round five times and missed the playoffs once. For the four seasons before that he lost in the second round three times and the first round once. So since 2010 he hasn't made it past the second round. While it may not be nothing, it surely isn't much. And yes, Green hasn't managed to get to the playoffs but seriously, with the rosters he's had to work with can you say with a straight face that any of those teams should have?

And I believe you when you say that lots of you were critical of Green in the first 12 games. My bad for ignoring the negative static coming from the complainers.

So you would rather accept not making the playoffs under Green vs worrying about losing in round 1 with Babs? 

makes sense 

Edited by canuck2288

36 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Fact - we were in the midst of a rebuild Green’s first 2 years so making the playoffs wasn't happening even under Scotty Bowman...

Fact - this is one losing streak in the first year we’re expected to be a bubble team. 

Ergo your argument is flawed at best.