The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Babcock or Green. Who would you rather see coach the Canucks.

Rate this topic

rekker

Who would you like to see coaching the Canucks?  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, the grinder said:

yep handed a stacked Anaheim team ,  then handed a stacked Detroit team and then handed a stacked Toronto team ,  travis green handed a rebuilding team  and what has babcock done in 5 years nothing but bow out in the first round   

Well you can have all the talent in the world but if you can't get them to play as a cohesive unit with a good structure you aren't going to win anything. On the flip side a mediocre team that plays a good team game can win it all too. Individual talent is great but at the end of the day it's a team sport.

I like to use the Pens as a perfect example. They really don't have a ton of depth but they consistently make the playoffs year after year. Yes they have elite players Crosby and Malkin but the key to there success is playing a good team game with a solid system. The 4th line can dominate the play just as well as the first line because of the style of hockey they play. 

• Thanks 1

One thing Babs has over Green is that he could win the Cup with hall of famer roster.  If EP, Hughes, and one of Markstrom/Demko as a hall of famer, Babs could develop like one. He was under Red Wings organization for many years but they were already hall of famer before he became a coach.  Also, he developed young Leafs roster to look dangerous but had no defence or goaltender that led to the downfall.  Is he able to develop superstars into a hall of famer?  He has not proven that, he inherited a Red Wings team with hall of famers.  We actually have defence and goaltender but we do not have good depth on forwards.   Benning is looking for character guys and that also includes coaches.  Is Babs a character guy?  That character Benning is looking for is questionable with his players turned off by the Babs' action.  IMO, it's on the Leafs management team for not giving him depth on defence and goaltender.   I would say that Canucks defence and goaltender is better than the Leafs.   Green is relatively inexperienced with head coach in the NHL and he was exposed at a few times when he doesn't adjust on the fly.  He couldn't get them to score first but so was Babs with slow starts plaguing the Leafs this season.   I'm telling you that Babs would be hired by other team quickly before New Year's.  He would command a high salary.   The niche of a coach lasting that long is if he has the room and is adapt to make some changes like AV did, he will have a long tenure with other team.   Where there's pro, there will always be cons.  The fewer cons Green or Babs has, the better it will be to make a decision on the coaching staff.   Also, is Aquaman willing to pay that high of a salary for a coach is another thing if he fires Green, then he would have to pay Green's salary.  I do not think he is willing to do that.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rekker said:

Thats a great idea and thought of that. How do you do that?

sorry for the delayed reply.

if you click edit, near the top there should be something like "content' and "poll" tabs. once you get to the poll tab its pretty straightforward. I hope I'm not mistaking anything here

• Thanks 1

Babcock couldn’t make a superstar loaded team succeed what makes people think he would here? I mean green is on thin ice yes but under a healthy roster green has shown great results maybe it’s a little unfair to blame him for the recent hiccups and we at the least owe him this season to prove himself in his early coaching career. Hockey has changed a lot since Babs was a jack adams caliber coach and you hear a lot of negative comments on past players playing for him I dunno if I’m sold,

also for anyone that needs a laugh go read commadors tweets today hilarious!! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, gurn said:

Newell Brown is the PP coach, and the team currently has the 9th best power play, even with the last couple of games lack of success.

I don't care if Newell brown is the PP coach.

Travis green is the HEAD coach.  He is responsible for all areas of this teams performance.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

under a healthy roster green has shown great results maybe it’s a little unfair to blame him for the recent hiccups and we at the least owe him this season to prove himself in his early coaching career.

So you're saying Sutter and Motte are the backbone of this team? COL can lose 2/3rds of their top line and keep on rolling but we lose a 3rd and 4th liner and we're sunk? 

Why do we owe Green more time? Let him go develop in Utica if he needs more time. This is the NHL. Coaches either perform well or they get the axe.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CptCanuck16 said:

So you're saying Sutter and Motte are the backbone of this team? COL can lose 2/3rds of their top line and keep on rolling but we lose a 3rd and 4th liner and we're sunk? 

Why do we owe Green more time? Let him go develop in Utica if he needs more time. This is the NHL. Coaches either perform well or they get the axe.

You don't learn to coach in the NHL by coaching in the AHL wadr...

Green is the stop gap before our actual success ...its facts 

green is turning into willie with his deployment like his biased bs like leivo over virtanen everytime “megna 2.0” 

babcock has a huge amount of exp and his resume says itself green will never reach babcock level 

im done with green tbh hes had his time to prove himself and now were 20+ in and sliding rapidly we need new systems and not getting posession players like petey to play dump and chase 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Well you can have all the talent in the world but if you can't get them to play as a cohesive unit with a good structure you aren't going to win anything. On the flip side a mediocre team that plays a good team game can win it all too. Individual talent is great but at the end of the day it's a team sport.

I like to use the Pens as a perfect example. They really don't have a ton of depth but they consistently make the playoffs year after year. Yes they have elite players Crosby and Malkin but the key to there success is playing a good team game with a solid system. The 4th line can dominate the play just as well as the first line because of the style of hockey they play. 

but if you have world class talent you can win   the pens that had malkin Crosby letang  fleury   4 game breakers  4 guys that can win you a series  , ana  had teemu  neidermayer perry getzlaf  pronger   det had lindstrom   pavel datzuyk sp  Zetterberg  and many more   that sounds like a hall of fame line up    so don't tell me  that talent means nothing  , babcock had talent in Toronto  did he get the job done no ,did he make the team a cohesive unit no   he made the playoffs yes, did he get bounced out in the first round in 3 years in a row   yes .  sure you can have all the systems in the world but sure helps if you can send Crosby out for 30mins and then throw malkin out for 20 mins and the have letang out for 30 mins  and then have to beat fleury or murray ,   

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

So why have a PP coach then? 

Why have a president of operations, a general manager, and a coaching staff? Can't the owner just do everything? Lol.  Obviously responsibilities are divvied up because it's too much for one person to handle. At the end of the day the head coach is responsible for overseeing all the on ice operations.  Kind of like a store manager is responsible for overseeing the operation of the entire store. If the stock clerk screws up and doesn't order enough milk that's ultimately on the store manager. They're going to be the one on the hot seat with corporate and will be the one on the hook to put systems in place to ensure it won't happen again.  What are you an artist or something? Do you even know the first thing about business? This is like 101 level stuff.

Just now, CptCanuck16 said:

Why have a president of operations, a general manager, and a coaching staff? Can't the owner just do everything? Lol.  Obviously responsibilities are divvied up because it's too much for one person to handle. At the end of the day the head coach is responsible for overseeing all the on ice operations.  Kind of like a store manager is responsible for overseeing the operation of the entire store. If the stock clerk screws up and doesn't order enough milk that's ultimately on the store manager. They're going to be the one on the hot seat with corporate and will be the one on the hook to put systems in place to ensure it won't happen again.  What are you an artist or something? Do you even know the first thing about business? This is like 101 level stuff.

Clearly you missed the sarcasm... 

29 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You don't learn to coach in the NHL by coaching in the AHL wadr...

Well than fire him then. Maybe a basement dweller team will give him a few more years to develop. Why should we allow him to play NHL coach here any longer?

Edited by CptCanuck16

12 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Well than fire him then. Maybe a basement dweller team will give him a few more years to develop. Why should we allow him to play NHL coach here any longer?

He has stuff he needs to work on for sure but nothing so egregious that firing is necessary at this point imo. 

54 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Babcock couldn’t make a superstar loaded team succeed what makes people think he would here? I mean green is on thin ice yes but under a healthy roster green has shown great results maybe it’s a little unfair to blame him for the recent hiccups and we at the least owe him this season to prove himself in his early coaching career. Hockey has changed a lot since Babs was a jack adams caliber coach and you hear a lot of negative comments on past players playing for him I dunno if I’m sold,

also for anyone that needs a laugh go read commadors tweets today hilarious!! 

They have 3 superstars. Hardly what one would consider “loaded”. Dubas doesn’t seem to believe in hard working two way players or players with any toughness. Only good add for that team has been Muzzin. So to blame Babcock for a poorly constructed team with overpaid stars seems off. Toronto f’d up when they moved out Lou.

Edited by N7Nucks