The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Babcock or Green. Who would you rather see coach the Canucks.

Rate this topic

rekker

Who would you like to see coaching the Canucks?  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Me thinks that if the Canucks win you bet that Nashville will be calling Babcock that night. But if the preds win, Green will live out the season unless we go winless the rest of November. If that's the case then I think we'll  see a coaching change in December. That being said no more first year's please. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Actually I am pretty sure you made the initial  incorrect assumption my friend 

there are a few of us that played Junior B on here and we can all tell the the non hockey players 

Whatever your hockey level, I find it funny you seem to be more in touch with the finer details of the game than say a Travis Green LMAO

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rekker said:

Babcock or Green. I'm not a huge Babcock fan but are Green's systems working? Opponents zone entries are easy, odd man rushes against the Canucks are plenty. Canucks don't "start on time". Maybe its time for a change. 

The last thing I want to see is Mike Babcock coaching the Canucks while Mike Commodore slobbers all over his balls on his Twitter and then starts trashing Vancouver by association.

No to Babcock.   His style is outdated and his coaching style would have a negative impact on Quinn Hughes.

1 minute ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

The last thing I want to see is Mike Babcock coaching the Canucks while Mike Commodore slobbers all over his balls on his Twitter and then starts trashing Vancouver by association.

No to Babcock.   His style is outdated and his coaching style would have a negative impact on Quinn Hughes.

Uhhhh Morgan Rielly begs to differ

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Cheers 1

Babcock - easy. You can’t ignore Babcock’s achievements even if an argument could be made he coached stacked teams. 

However, in a perfect world, If I were Aquilini, I would back up the brink trucks for Gallant in Vegas. How he has been able to make a mish-mash of second and third liners/#4-5 defencemen play so cohesively is unprecedented. Anyone remember that one game last year where we got curb stomped by them? It was probably the most lopsided game I have ever watched. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, coastal.view said:

really? how do you know this

there were many rumours about the babs and dubas relationship

that babs relied far too much on veterans in dubas' eyes

and so dubas emptied the cupboard of veterans that he felt babs was overplaying

particularly marleau in the playoffs last season

You bet.  One of his criticisms has been constant line combos - if he was our coach and had this many middle six forwards it the top three lines could easily be like Horvats - as in a revolving door.  Last year he punished Nylander with limited minutes on the bottom six when he came back (that I don’t mind - but he was criticized for it especially given at the time their offense dried up) and again this year he’s been all over the place.  Ken Campbell’s article is pretty good.  

This is a mute discussion anyways as I doubt he’s coming here.   TB, NSH or Seattle make the most sense.   In the end he hasn’t shown an ability to make it work without a stacked team to work with.  He’s a good coach and maybe he will yet.  But look what Trotz did - took one of the worst defensive teams in the league - and turned them into one of or the best in the league in ONE season.   With no big names to speak of and Tavares gone (ok Barzal).  And look at their defense and their goalie, nothing pops - sure Lehner was one of the nicest stories last year but he’s gone and they are still winning, winning winning.   There’s a guy I’d love to get in a heartbeat.

6 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

I wouldn't touch Babcock ..... there's a God complex going on with him that rubs players the wrong way. He's his own dressing room cancer, IMO. 

I have no conclusions yet on Green one way or the other. 

There is that too.  I said yesterday JB wouldn’t and same with some other GMs too - want a guy like that simply because he’s also competition for bending the owners ear.  Keenan did that when he was here.  Ended up talking the entire thing over. 

• Cheers 1

I voted Babcock, for various reasons, but one being: I'd love to win with Babcock, after the Leafs turfed him. But, there's no way I see them firing Green at this point, so this is all moot I think. 

Got a kick out of the TOR media article in the paper today, basically saying "It's about time, this was long overdue", etc. lol Whatever makes them feel better I guess. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

For what it's worth, James Mirtle of The Athletic tweeted this out today.

Not sure on the accuracy of this - and what it says both about the coach and the players on TO.  Even if it’s 50% - they were right to fire him as he’d lost the room for sure.  Anyone who speaks about himself in the Third person has some egotistical issues (Mike Babcock- id bet on Mike Babcock every time ha ha)....don’t want this guy near our team with a ten foot pole - would love to have Trotz but that’s a pipe dream.  Gallant it Laviolette would be upgrades too.  That said Green is fine for now - a few weeks ago his team was winning games and 5 goals was becoming commonplace.  Want that team back - and when we have more support players back there is no reason for it not to be.  

• Cheers 1

The good news is it's still fairly early in the season, the Canucks are hovering around 0.500. They can bounce back and hopefully win more then they lose.The injury to Ferland is mind-boggling, is he okay? Why haven't we heard what's going on with him? What kind of player will he be when he returns? Getting the injured guys back will help, especially Roussel. I do wonder if Green will eventually lose the room if the losing continues. I'm sure Bo is also feeling the pressure, as the new captain.  I don't believe Green is the coach to get them to the next level. He's been good for the young guys who made it, but this team needs a coach who will put the best players out in key situations. If Babcock was coach, he probably wouldn't put Pearson in the shootout or limit Gaudette's ice time. The Canucks players hate to lose, but it's annoying when they do lose and Coach Green sluffs it off as if it's no big deal. 

• Cheers 1

Is neither an option?

I used to like Babcock a lot, but I feel like he's kind of out dated and will cost a fortune (I'd rather spend the money on scouting or player development).   He won with Detroit, with one of the best defenseman of all-time and two Selke-worthy PPG centerman.  He also won twice with 2 stacked Team Canada with guys like Crosby, Toews, Bergeron, Doughty, Weber, Price, to name a few.  I think when he has all the right tools he's one of the best coaches, but when I say he's out dated it's because the league is leaning more towards Speed, youth and offense, which I don't think it's suited for Babcock.  I can see him coaching another veteran team (SJ, CHI, CGY, NAS, PIT) , but i'm not sure he can coach a bunch of kids like the Leafs or the Canucks.

As for Green, I'm indifferent, I didn't have much expectation coming in, since he pretty much failed to develop any prospect in Utica, while not having competitive teams either (except one year when we added late reinforcement Baertchi/Conacher).  Basically none of our current players were raised in Utica under him.  Bo, Brock, EP, Hughes, Stetcher.  While other promising prospect never materialized under him : Gaunce, Jensen, Corrado, Sauvé, Shinkaruk, Cassels.

I'd let Green finish the year (unless the Canucks go in a tailspin in december/january).  If we don't make the playoffs, he's gone (benning too probably).  If we barely make it into the playoffs and gets ousted in 4-5, I'd consider changing coach as well.  

I think Babcock might copy Quenneville and wait in the offseason for the offers to come in.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I believe it happened with Wayne Cashman in the late '90s. Cashman was the head coach for the Flyers during the 1997-98 season. Then in the following season, Roger Neilson was brought in as head coach while Cashman was demoted to assistant coach.

You’re like the hockey version of google, it’s amazing haha.