The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bibi Officially Charged with Bribery and Corruption.

Warhippy

The frigging stones on this guy.  Known for over a decade as being ultra right, effectively openly racist and wildly corrupt he STILL says he will form government and will not step down.  Apparently he still has every chance and possibility to do so because he is not required to resign or step down.

For those paying attention, this is what an actual corrupt leader looks like

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/attorney-general-indicts-netanyahu-corruption-cases-1.5367653

Israel's attorney general indicted Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on corruption charges on Thursday, raising more uncertainty over who will ultimately lead a country mired in political chaos after two inconclusive elections this year.

Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit announced the decision in a statement. The charges included bribery, breach of trust and fraud.

Netanyahu, who has denied wrongdoing in three corruption cases, is under no legal obligation to resign after being charged. He is due to make a statement later Thursday.

Leadership primary called 

Earlier Thursday, Netanyahu's main party rival called for a leadership primary should the country, as expected, go into an unprecedented third election in less than a year.

Gideon Saar's remarks came as Israel's ceremonial president announced that for the first time in the country's history, no candidate has been able to form a government following recent elections, setting the country on a course for yet another vote after two inconclusive results.

Reuven Rivlin formally informed parliament that neither Netanyahu nor his chief challenger, retired military chief Benny Gantz, have completed the task of building a coalition in the time allotted to them. The expiration of the presidential mandate kicks off the final 21-day window before new elections must be called.

Rivlin called it a "miserable political situation" and pleaded with lawmakers to find some form of compromise.

"This is one of the most important times for soul-searching the state of Israel has known," he told parliament. "Let there be no illusions: this politics of disruption has to stop ... each one of you should look to their conscience and answer one question: 'What is my duty to the state of Israel?' "

First to step into the fray was Saar, a former aide and senior cabinet minister under Netanyahu, who said he supported the establishment of a unity government to avert such an election, but that he would be a better fit to make that happen than Netanyahu.

1183642285.jpg
Benny Gantz, Blue and White party leader, attends a news conference after failing to form a government on Wednesday in Tel Aviv. Israel may face third election after political rivals Gantz and Netanyahu struggled to form coalition. (Amir Levy/Getty Images)

"If we go to new elections, it will not be reasonable to think that the prime minister will be successful in forming a government after the third elections," Netanyahu said at the Jerusalem Post Diplomatic Conference in Jerusalem. "I think I will be able to form a government, and I think I will be able to unite the country and the nation."

Netanyahu, Gantz or any other sitting lawmaker, including Saar, can hypothetically present the backing of a majority of parliament's 120 members in the coming three weeks. But given the prolonged stalemate and unsuccessful mediation efforts it increasingly appears the country is headed toward yet another vote. Opinion polls are already predicting a very similar deadlock, signalling additional months of horse-trading and uncertainty.

The only plausible way out of a third election — and the prolonged political paralysis that has gripped Israel for the past year — would be a unity government between Netanyahu's ruling Likud and Gantz's centrist Blue and White party.

Blue and White edged Likud by one seat in the previous election and together they could control a parliamentary majority. Both Netanyahu and Gantz have expressed an overall openness to the concept but during weeks of talks they could not agree on the terms of a power-sharing agreement, including who would serve first as prime minister.

Netanyahu has refused to drop his alliance with smaller nationalist and ultra-Orthodox Jewish parties, which was a non-starter for kingmaker politician Avigdor Lieberman.

But the main sticking point has revolved around Netanyahu himself.

The longtime Israeli leader is desperate to remain in office as he prepares for the expected indictment. Gantz's Blue and White refuses to sit under Netanyahu while he faces such serious legal problems but has said it has no problem with Likud if he is removed from the equation.

Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit has recommended that Netanyahu be indicted on fraud, breach of trust and bribery charges in three separate cases. Though Netanyahu will not be compelled by law to step down immediately, it will certainly harden opposition to his continued rule.

There don't appear to be unbridgeable gaps between Likud and Blue and White and the impasse has mostly revolved around personnel.

1174961772.jpg
Israeli President Reuven Rivlin formally informed parliament that neither Netanyahu nor Gantz had formed a coalition. (Gali Tibbon/AFP via Getty Images)

"Israeli politics is very personalized and the partners of Benny Gantz are not willing to operate with Netanyahu personally and therefore there is no real future I believe in unity government if the parties will stay as they are now," said Yedidia Stern of the non-partisan Israel Democracy Institute. "Israel is entering now an unknown territory from a political point of view, a constitutional point of view ... nobody knows what will happen."

Election won't 'change anything'

Everyday Israelis appear equally exasperated.

"The future right now is very disturbing, unless someone with courage stands up and says 'I am willing to concede so we will have a unity government,' " said Jerusalem resident Chaim Frenkel. "I don't think the next elections will change anything."

The emergence of Saar as an heir could reshuffle the deck, but challenging Netanyahu in Likud is a risky manoeuvre in a party that fiercely values loyalty and has had only four leaders in its 70-plus-year history.

A former lawyer and journalist, Saar was first brought into politics 20 years ago by Netanyahu, who made him his cabinet secretary during his first term in office. Saar then established himself as a staunch nationalist who opposed Israel's 2005 withdrawal from the Gaza Strip and resisted the prospect of a Palestinian state.

He quickly rose in the Likud ranks, twice finishing first in internal elections for its parliamentary list and enjoying successful stints as education minister and interior minister after Netanyahu returned to power in 2009.

But as with others in Likud who saw their popularity rise, he, too, began to be perceived by Netanyahu as a threat. He quit politics in 2014 to spend more time with his new wife, Israeli TV anchor Geula Even, and their young children, before making his comeback this year.

Despite his hard-line positions, Saar is liked and respected across the political spectrum and could prove a far more comfortable partner for unity with Gantz if elected head of Likud.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

Does Israel have that law that one is innocent until proven (in a court of law and judged by a jury of their peers) guilty?

Guy might very well be all bad, and need beheading, however, doesn't he deserve his day in court to face his accusers?

Convicting people in the press is kind of propaganda, isn't it?  

• Cheers 3

Trump has officially started a worldwide trend. If your ever caught doing unethical or illegal activities as a head of state, just say "Its a witch-hunt by the opposing parties", "it has no merit" and keep denying it. 

Before, leaders used to resign over things like this, now more and more are following in Trump's footsteps. 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

"Israel's attorney general indicted Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on corruption charges on Thursday..."  ...are the only "facts" we know so far.

The rest is nothing but personal opinion and political commentary. Let's make sure we understand the difference!

Pretty significant facts but ok

Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East.

They even extend voting rights to their Arab and Hasidic citizens who do not serve in the army. 

I've been to Israel twice and I think it's a great country. 

I will not be commenting on this thread after this any further as it is only going to make me upset. 

All I'm going to say is that I hope the State of Israel finds it's direction and gets on course possibly with a new Prime Minister possibly not. Israel needs to resolve the conflict with the Arab nations and become a country that is recognized and accepted by all. I hope they host the olympics in my lifetime. It would teach people a lot about the kind of place it is. I hope the citizens of Gaza can find some peace and turn away from the extremism that is governing them. The situation is untenable in Gaza and I really think the disengagement wasn't executed properly and shouldn't have happened without a firm peace deal with the Arabs under their authority and other Arab countries. 

I will say this: In order for peace to be achieved I do not think the two-state solution is the way to go to resolve this conflict. A certain Israeli politician once said that the two-state solution is merely a bumper sticker and a talking point. I agree with this. The solution is to cede the Gaza Strip to Egypt, to cede parts of the Judea and Samaria(areas A and B.) and Israel proper(Umm al-Fahm, Tayibe, Rahat, Basma and so on) to Jordan. Prior to 1967, Judea and Samaria belonged to Jordan and Gaza was a protectorate of Egypt. We should return to this territorial situation as it is beneficial to Israel and the countries around her. 

Once Israel sorts out territorial issues in Judea and Samaria along with Gaza, she will have an overwhelming Jewish majority in the territory she lives on. This means that there will be no reason for any of the Arab nations not to agree to a multi-national peace agreement with Israel. The global economy loses TRILLIONS of dollars every year because of the Middle East conflict. It is time for people across the Middle East to relax, sip on coffees at cafes, go for a stroll down the street without getting blown up by &^@#ing land mines. It's time for girls to go to school. It's time for boys to be boys and play soccer and other stuff.  These are Human lives we're talking about! These people want to chill they're sick of all this war. 

For all you people who accuse Israel of being illegitimate because "Jews are from Europe" are just completely wrong. As of 2005, 61% of Israelis were of partial or full Mizrahi origin. Mizrahi Jews are of Middle-Eastern descent who lived under Muslim rule in Arab countries for generations. They are almost genetically identical to Arabs. Jews from Europe are also genetically very similar to Arabs and their fellow Mizrahi Jews. What I'm basically saying is that the assertion that Jews are not indigenous to the Middle East and to the land of Israel is complete hogwash. We have thousands of years of history in both the land of Israel and the Middle East. So this "Free Palestine" bulls**t is just garbage. I'm going to say this even though it's going to really piss some people off: in Alan Dershowitz's Case for Israel He cites evidence that a significant number of Arabs currently living in Israel, the so-called Palestinian Authority and the Gaza Strip are descendants of Arabs who came to the land to take jobs from the Zionist movement and from Jews living off the land. There were many jobs available in agriculture, construction, industries, etc. but if you want more details about the book just read it. I have a signed copy if anyone is interested. 

Anyways I'm done. I'm not responding to this thread again. I'll stick to hockey as this subject makes me very uncomfortable. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East.

They even extend voting rights to their Arab and Hasidic citizens who do not serve in the army. 

I've been to Israel twice and I think it's a great country. 

I will not be commenting on this thread after this any further as it is only going to make me upset. 

All I'm going to say is that I hope the State of Israel finds it's direction and gets on course possibly with a new Prime Minister possibly not. Israel needs to resolve the conflict with the Arab nations and become a country that is recognized and accepted by all. I hope they host the olympics in my lifetime. It would teach people a lot about the kind of place it is. I hope the citizens of Gaza can find some peace and turn away from the extremism that is governing them. The situation is untenable in Gaza and I really think the disengagement wasn't executed properly and shouldn't have happened without a firm peace deal with the Arabs under their authority and other Arab countries. 

I will say this: In order for peace to be achieved I do not think the two-state solution is the way to go to resolve this conflict. A certain Israeli politician once said that the two-state solution is merely a bumper sticker and a talking point. I agree with this. The solution is to cede the Gaza Strip to Egypt, to cede parts of the Judea and Samaria(areas A and B.) and Israel proper(Umm al-Fahm, Tayibe, Rahat, Basma and so on) to Jordan. Prior to 1967, Judea and Samaria belonged to Jordan and Gaza was a protectorate of Egypt. We should return to this territorial situation as it is beneficial to Israel and the countries around her. 

Once Israel sorts out territorial issues in Judea and Samaria along with Gaza, she will have an overwhelming Jewish majority in the territory she lives on. This means that there will be no reason for any of the Arab nations not to agree to a multi-national peace agreement with Israel. The global economy loses TRILLIONS of dollars every year because of the Middle East conflict. It is time for people across the Middle East to relax, sip on coffees at cafes, go for a stroll down the street without getting blown up by &^@#ing land mines. It's time for girls to go to school. It's time for boys to be boys and play soccer and other stuff.  These are Human lives we're talking about! These people want to chill they're sick of all this war. 

For all you people who accuse Israel of being illegitimate because "Jews are from Europe" are just completely wrong. As of 2005, 61% of Israelis were of partial or full Mizrahi origin. Mizrahi Jews are of Middle-Eastern descent who lived under Muslim rule in Arab countries for generations. They are almost genetically identical to Arabs. Jews from Europe are also genetically very similar to Arabs and their fellow Mizrahi Jews. What I'm basically saying is that the assertion that Jews are not indigenous to the Middle East and to the land of Israel is complete hogwash. We have thousands of years of history in both the land of Israel and the Middle East. So this "Free Palestine" bulls**t is just garbage. I'm going to say this even though it's going to really piss some people off: in Alan Dershowitz's Case for Israel He cites evidence that a significant number of Arabs currently living in Israel, the so-called Palestinian Authority and the Gaza Strip are descendants of Arabs who came to the land to take jobs from the Zionist movement and from Jews living off the land. There were many jobs available in agriculture, construction, industries, etc. but if you want more details about the book just read it. I have a signed copy if anyone is interested. 

Anyways I'm done. I'm not responding to this thread again. I'll stick to hockey as this subject makes me very uncomfortable. 

Hey thanks for your sharing of knowledge.  Discussion here is a great way to understand one another’s views, and accept them.  I like how you point out Jews and Arabs have way more in common than they do differences.  Maybe if people actually sat down and listened to one another, without judgement of opinion, we wouldn’t fight so much? 

• Upvote 1

It's always been difficult for many to speak about Israel because any time someone says anything about the direction of the country or actions of their leaders it's deemed anti semetic.

Bibi is a criminal.  He is arrogant and corrupt and has lead far to long.  This indictment will hopefully see him deposed.

People need to understand that criticism of a leader or a nations actions is not speaking out against a nation or people.  It's ok to disagree

• Upvote 1

On 11/21/2019 at 6:05 PM, Unknown1995 said:

Trump has officially started a worldwide trend. If your ever caught doing unethical or illegal activities as a head of state, just say "Its a witch-hunt by the opposing parties", "it has no merit" and keep denying it. 

Before, leaders used to resign over things like this, now more and more are following in Trump's footsteps. 

before trump there was nixon

9 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

before trump there was nixon

At least Nixon resigned. 

With trump, it seems like no matter what will happen, he will never resign. That's the difference.