The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Secretive energy startup backed by Bill Gates achieves solar breakthrough

aGENT

Fabulous clean technology.  Why does the company have to patent it though?  If we really want to (you know) save the planet, then why not make this technology free to all, and even go so far as to help others make it work in their cities and countries?  Why does the Almighty dollar, and human selfishness always have to supersede what's best for humanity?  My God people suck dirty Leaf socks.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Fabulous clean technology.  Why does the company have to patent it though?  If we really want to (you know) save the planet, then why not make this technology free to all, and even go so far as to help others make it work in their cities and countries?  Why does the Almighty dollar, and human selfishness always have to supersede what's best for humanity?  My God people suck dirty Leaf socks.  

no one's going to invest if they can't make money off it, hence patent. Its a good system, someone else can come along and build a better mousetrap.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no one's going to invest if they can't make money off it, hence patent. Its a good system, someone else can come along and build a better mousetrap.

Governments will spend the money for this kind of technology.  If these people are really trying to save our planet then don't patent the tech, and share it with everyone.  They are selfish money hungry humans, who pray to the "Golden Calf", just like the most of the rest of us do.  We are doomed.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Its not always sunny everywhere. The batteries lose efficiency at a rate that makes them economically unsustainable, and, here is the kicker, the carbon dioxide to mine the rare earth minerals to make their "world saving technology", is killing the world (according to their own metrics).

This is just another scam, and its probably got billions of tax dollars behind it, because, well, all of the so called philanthropists do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

very cool @aGENT 

I'd like to see some of these around the Osoyoos area, could probably save having to make any more hydro power. 

That would be nice, and on the prairie sunsoaked plains too.  However, it's not happening because the cost of the technology (because it's patented) will be prohibitive.  Oil and gas will continue to be less expensive.  

1 minute ago, xereau said:

Its not always sunny everywhere. The batteries lose efficiency at a rate that makes them economically unsustainable, and, here is the kicker, the carbon dioxide to mine the rare earth minerals to make their "world saving technology", is killing the world (according to their own metrics).

This is just another scam, and its probably got billions of tax dollars behind it, because, well, all of the so called philanthropists do.

And the propaganda machines that the media is for these wealthy elite will continue to spin the yarns so the people think their tax dollars are really going to good works.  Rich get richer, and the worker bees continue to "weave their own burial shrouds", believing they are doing what is good. (Shelley)

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Unfortunately if they don't patent it, someone else will and take their share. That's the reality. It is up to the people that patented it to decide if they want to sell it for "cheap" to make it more accessible to everyone.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And the propaganda machines that the media is for these wealthy elite will continue to spin the yarns so the people think their tax dollars are really going to good works.  Rich get richer, and the worker bees continue to "weave their own burial shrouds", believing they are doing what is good. (Shelley)

People that believe they are saving the world by driving electric cars, need to drive for 11 years to offset the carbon emissions from what it cost to mine the metals to make the battery which they use to drive around in.  Sounds awesome, right? Well, the average lifespan of an electric car's battery is six years.  I think you can do the math, aye? The technology isn't there yet, and those wishing it was, is nothing more than just that.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Governments will spend the money for this kind of technology.  If these people are really trying to save our planet then don't patent the tech, and share it with everyone.  They are selfish money hungry humans, who pray to the "Golden Calf", just like the most of the rest of us do.  We are doomed.  

why would anyone put up the risk capital Alf if they didn't have a patent? the people designing this thing are taking huge financial risks. Development projects tank all the time and no one is there to bail those folks out. They deserve to reap some rewards from their hard work, just like anyone else. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That would be nice, and on the prairie sunsoaked plains too.  However, it's not happening because the cost of the technology (because it's patented) will be prohibitive.  Oil and gas will continue to be less expensive.  

you're mistaken Alf, patents don't set the costs, markets do. If this company tries to get a price thats too far out of line with the market it won't work. 

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

People that believe they are saving the world by driving electric cars, need to drive for 11 years to offset the carbon emissions from what it cost to mine the metals to make the battery which they use to drive around in.  Sounds awesome, right? Well, the average lifespan of an electric car's battery is six years.  I think you can do the math, aye? The technology isn't there yet, and those wishing it was, is nothing more than just that.

the problem with that number is it doesn't compare the carbon cost of making a conventional car vs an electric. IF you're going to own a car at all, it is better for the environment to drive an electric. 

Interesting.... Swear I’ve seen experiments in the past doing this although that may have been related more to do with light sail travel in space...

Either way the ppl trying to make money off it will love it and the ppl who are threatened with losing money will oppose it.. Climate change/environmental pros/cons are background noise and dismissed. Money and greed make the world go round.

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Because Rare Earth Elements has no environmental or political impact now?

I never said anything about rare earth elements? Simply making the point that alternatives exist/are continually coming and investing billions in deepening our reliance on 100 year old technology is dumb.

Just now, xereau said:

Ssshhhh, you are breaking the envirofascists' smugbubble.

envirofascists lol. always entertaining how fast that bs comes out.

• Upvote 1