The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Nov. 21, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I dont think the canucks woulda won this game , rinne played like garbage, but his replacement in the 3rd did well ...i think we mighta got a couple goals, but think we woulda lost 3-2 , but glad rinne played like dawg poop, so a win is a win, even though nashville outshot us by a ton

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Honestly, I think that Canucks might've even snuck one out at 5 on 5 against the Preds but it's really impossible to say because of how good they were on PP.  

Nashville kept taking bad penalty after bad penalty.  Some of them were a result of the Canucks crashing the net (thinking of Virtanen), or else guys like Leivo playing through checks.  

So while the power play was the big reason why they won, Marky also was great in net when he had to be.  

Nashville carried more of the play, but so did we in most of our losses until recently.  Doesn't mean much if you don't put the pucks in the net. 

This is usually a result of the team playing hard and forcing them to take penalties. Yes the PP was clinical tonight, but we played hard to earn at least most of those PPs. We got outworked in the 3rd and while it would be nice to keep the foot on the pedal all game, it's still a long road trip ahead, so bunkering down with a 3 goal lead is sometimes what a team has to do (but Nashville deserves some credit for attacking hard in the 3rd on home ice). Marky was up to the task. We got the win.

Honestly surprised people are still looking for excuses to knock the coaching staff here after tonight.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Roberts said:

you have to think, if the Canucks power play didn't get any goals would the game have turned out just like most of the other recent games?

that probably should have said "as many" not "any". I edited it to make it more clear.

2 minutes ago, brownky said:

Stats stolen shamelessly from Reddit:

The PP is 18/27 (66.7%) against LA, Detroit, Nashville.

The PP is 8/69 (11.6%) against the other 27 teams in the league

This is a case where statistics tell two distinctly different stories and it's up to you which narrative you wish to follow.

Consistency is more important than single output. I mean unless our playoff rounds went LA, Detroit, Nashville... but given their records I'm not seeing that happening this year. Probably not next year either.

If we were at "15-18%" against "more" teams, it'd be a lot better.

Didn't Tampa score like 6 PP goals against NYR one game? I'm sure similar stats could be pulled up for many teams. You don't end up 4th in the league by luck. And those stats are a bit of an exaggeration because we haven't even faced every team in the league yet. The point is that if the PP is successful like it was tonight that Newell should finally get some credit. 4th in the league and people still want to get rid of the PP coach, go figure.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I really like quite a few of the Sportsnet radio guys.  Don't mind Satiar Shah either (only on radio though), don't like his or Walker's on TV look, they both look awkward. 

Satiar Shah does a fine job on TV. He's a baller.

22 minutes ago, brownky said:

Stats stolen shamelessly from Reddit:

The PP is 18/27 (66.7%) against LA, Detroit, Nashville.

The PP is 8/69 (11.6%) against the other 27 teams in the league

Sorry to be a stickler but we haven't played all 27 other teams in the league.  
In fact we've only played 14 other teams besides LA, Detroit and Nashville.  I'm not a big fan of people cherry picking numbers to include or throw out just to paint a picture that they believe in.  

Even if you throw out our best PP games and have us at 11.6%, we still would have three teams worst then us in PP. 

9 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

Satiar Shah does a fine job on TV. He's a baller.

I found Sat's buddy!  Haha yeah I like listening to him on the radio, that's why I brought him up. 

17 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Didn't Tampa score like 6 PP goals against NYR one game? I'm sure similar stats could be pulled up for many teams. You don't end up 4th in the league by luck. And those stats are a bit of an exaggeration because we haven't even faced every team in the league yet. The point is that if the PP is successful like it was tonight that Newell should finally get some credit. 4th in the league and people still want to get rid of the PP coach, go figure.

If you discount the games the Canucks had a lot of power play goals in, the power play isn't very good.  Who whoulda thought, right?  Some of these guys really reach to try to make an imaginary point.  I think the power play could use consistency and in fact probably could use some tweaking to certain kinds of adjustments other teams are making but it's not bad at all.  They'll get more versatile as they get more experienced, they are a very young squad on the pp.  Is Miller the oldest guy on PP1 and then Horvat?  Boeser, Petey and Huggy are all still far from where they will peak.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It's the unevenness of the PP over the season so far, that people are mostly concerned with. When you score one, or 2 on a team, you might have their number, anything more is just rubbing it in. Canucks have rubbed it into several teams this year, and those nights, albeit fun for us fans, are outliers.  The times they've been skunked is a LOT more. Petey talked about it tonight to the press, and it was like a breath of fresh air to hear it come from one of their top players. Consistency is the key, and he and the team knows it. There haven't been many sustained rounds of pressure on the PP in a lot of those 0fer stretches, and its due to the static nature of the PP. When they start whipping it around, they succeed. As scary as the PP can be, consistency takes it to that next level of punishment.

839526484_Benninghead.png.683d76d1d82c20af004c23323a559ef0.png'Member when the WCE would get 1st crack at a PP? Or Bure? Or Peak Sedin era? That level of anticipation isn't there yet with this crew. 

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Obviously playing like that isn’t sustainable. You can’t expect to score 5 power play goals a game and get goaltending like that every night.

That being said with their current slump they need to start the ball rolling somewhere. Considering they didn’t have a chance to practice they’re execution was gonna still be poor. However their will to win and their compete was waay higher than last game.

Now they need to work on the X’s and O’s and tighten things up defensively.  

Great to get the two points. Thank you Marky!

It’s good to get the 2 points but green is such a rookie you can’t sit on leads for an entire period against good teams.

Pete at 16:00TOI

Huggy at 15:00TOI 

don’t try and tell me he wasn’t sitting on it

42 minutes ago, brownky said:

Consistency is more important than single output. I mean unless our playoff rounds went LA, Detroit, Nashville... but given their records I'm not seeing that happening this year. Probably not next year either.

Yeah considering Detroit is in the Eastern conference and are in last place I think it's pretty unlikely to play them in the playoffs

43 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

It has occurred to me that our 5 on 5 play or the lack of it, is an indication of where our team is right now. Our stars are a young, talented and soft, and I do not mean that in a negative way. It is an indication or reality, as when they are 25/26 they will be stronger, hardened veterans, who will be taking advantage of grizzled old veteran and young stars much like our very own. 

This is what Benning was getting at, when he pointed out the age of the top teams, and eventual cup winner. Those teams are laden with stars that are 25 to 30, who have gained experience and have maxed out their size and strength, and are now at their peak. Think back to the Sedin's and when they really took off as stars.

Yes, there are stars that take off early and can control play 5 on 5 at an early age, but usually they are the cream of the cream, and they never are able to do it all by themselves, they need top end experienced players to play with.

Interesting take.  Hopefully Green can find the right mix of young vets (Sven/ Ferland/ Pearson/ Leivo/ Roussel fit the age range) and I'm sure that 4 of these could work well as line-mates for Bo and Sutter.

Sven - Bo - Roussel (play-maker with the two straight-line, hard skating guys in BO and the Frenchman)

Pearson - Sutter - Leivo?  (Tanner's also a straight line and two-way guy while Leivo's the facilitator, I could see this line working well)

Ferland (until he shows chemistry with either line)

On the note of Pearson, man he must be practicing those 200 foot lob shots, and he should be our designated EN forward! 

nice we got the win but we were lucky to get the win.. we still need to work on not falling asleep to start the game.. and we need to play much better 5v5.. if it weren't for Rinne playing for the canucks tonight.. easily coulda been another lost.. good thing Markstrom found his game at the right time to break the slump