The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Leafs and Coyote’s Mega Deal Involving Auston Mathews

25 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It's not that bad of a deal.  If I were TO, and I just threw up a bit in my mouth typing that, I'd entertain a package involving AM and WN on the premise that AM will walk when he hits Free Agency so might as well maximize his value now, and WN is just bad for playoff hockey.  I am not knowledgeable on Arizona's roster for a possible return but I would have to think Keller would be the focal point.  Again if I was TO, :sick:, I rather use the cap tied in AM and WN to upgrade the D core - Tavares is still a good bonafide center to build around.  

I give this proposal 3.5 lit joints out of 5.

Except I can’t see Arizona taking Nylander and giving both OEL and Keller and not to mention Keller’s 7 year $7.125 million a year kicks in next year and then Toronto would be back in their cap trouble. 

The most coveted piece in hockey is an elite #1 center. Its the one piece I believe you absolutely need in order to win a Cup. I have seen teams with average goaltending and average defense win Cups in my lifetime but I have difficulty recalling teams that won a Cup without having an elite #1C at center. Maybe Hayton can be that guy but its a longshot to bet on that happening. Matthews is by far to me the most valuable piece on Toronto's roster, I would not trade him unless its an extreme overpayment. But then again I would trade everyone else on our roster twice before I even thought about moving Pettersson. 

I have never believed in the old adage 'You build from the net out.", you win by controlling the middle of the ice. I will take prime Crosby over prime Lidstrom in a literal heart beat.   

2 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Except I can’t see Arizona taking Nylander and giving both OEL and Keller and not to mention Keller’s 7 year $7.125 million a year kicks in next year and then Toronto would be back in their cap trouble. 

Keller got that for a contract?  That’s crazy!  Since he’s getting that, now he has negative value.  

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why are the Coyotes taking the cap dump of Nylander though?  Is there franchise really going to be saved by AM?  They might have AM, but after giving up OEL they are going to start losing a lot more than they are winning.  OEL is actually a more important player to winning games than AM is.  

Ekman-Larsson is also how old compared to matthews?

Nylander wouldn't be as good without Matthews.

The price for Nylander Matthews and Ceci is silly and there is no way ARZ could offer enough to get this deal done.

Matthews for Ekman-Larsson ++

Nylander for Hayton, stepan+

Ceci and Hutchinson for Raanta and Crouse+

Coyotes defense drops dramatically.

Matthews and Nylander are solid offensively not so much defensively.

Doubtful Ekman-Larsson wants to go to t.o.

Stepan is ageing aswell

6 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

But look at at Stepan’s cap hit and Schmaltz cap hit and you would see it has to be Stepan that is traded

Then do throw raanta and his salary to the leafs who need a back up goalie but not at

4.5million. So exactly no way stepan+Raanta+crouse+hayton being dumped for 2 franchise forwards.

Would toronto accept Sutter, Markstrom, Virtanen and Podkolzin for Matthews?

A Matthew's to ARZ trade would likely be based around Keller coming back to T.O.

Again not the type of player they need, as toronto is soft already and Matthews is a big body upfront replaced by Keller?

44 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Then do throw raanta and his salary to the leafs who need a back up goalie but not at

4.5million. So exactly no way stepan+Raanta+crouse+hayton being dumped for 2 franchise forwards.

Would toronto accept Sutter, Markstrom, Virtanen and Podkolzin for Matthews?

A Matthew's to ARZ trade would likely be based around Keller coming back to T.O.

Again not the type of player they need, as toronto is soft already and Matthews is a big body upfront replaced by Keller?

Raanta and Stepan both only have one more year left which the leafs could trade one or both in the offseason but Raanta at $4.5 isn’t horrible and he can handle the net if Anderson gets injured for an extended period and Stepan can be a decent 2nd line centre behind Taveres. Keller wouldn’t be included for 2 reasons

1) Arizona won’t include him as they want him around for the future and he’s the only player the Coyotes won’t include in the deal

2) he has a 7 year $7.125 million contract starting next year and he would put the Leafs back into cap hell. 

If I were a Leafs fan I would rather have a 25 minute a night shutdown defensive stalwart that helps with breaking out of your own zone and still in his prime and is a typical Swede in the locker room being a great leader by example instead of a young gun, big bodied centre that seems to be temperamental and seems to make bad decisions off ice. It’s basically Mathews for OEL, Crouse, Haydon and the 1st round and 2nd round picks and the Coyotes would take Nylander because they want a scoring winger and to get Mathews they take that $7 million a year contract. This trade will change how the leafs play from a soft team that sometimes shows up to play, to a more hardworking team that still has Taveres and Marner and Kappenen to score to go along with the grit they get from Arizona that can also score.

Like I said Toronto does this to get #1 stud dman at under $9 million a year while also getting rid of Nylander’s horrible contract and getting younger scoring wingers and a backup goalie that can give Anderson a rest or push him when he is not playing so well. Arizona does this not to get better but so they can simply stay in Phoenix with getting a local kid that’s a star that will pack their arena and as long as Mathews is in the top 10 in NHL scoring and Arizona is within 5 points of a playoff spot for the next 5 years of having Mathews and Nylander then this is a win for them. Plus the Coyotes would have an all Leaf line of Mathews, Kessel and Nylander and watch them light the league on fire after leaving Toronto as everyone who gets traded from the Leafs normally ends up playing better (ie. Larry Murphy, Tyler Bozak, Kadri).

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble
Spelling

54 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Ekman-Larsson is also how old compared to matthews?

Nylander wouldn't be as good without Matthews.

The price for Nylander Matthews and Ceci is silly and there is no way ARZ could offer enough to get this deal done.

Matthews for Ekman-Larsson ++

Nylander for Hayton, stepan+

Ceci and Hutchinson for Raanta and Crouse+

Coyotes defense drops dramatically.

Matthews and Nylander are solid offensively not so much defensively.

Doubtful Ekman-Larsson wants to go to t.o.

Stepan is ageing aswell

It would be 

Mathews for OEL, Hayton, Crouse, 1st rounder, 2nd rounder 

Nylander for Stepan

Ceci and Hutchinson for Raanta 

The money coming in and out are very close but the Leafs are not handcuffed with two 5 year deals for $10+million and $7 million and Raanta and Stepan could be resigned for about 20%-30% less then what they currently making when their deals are up and then Crouse and Hayton are still on their 2nd and rookie contracts. Crouse and Hayton are guys that hit and check and can also score.

B6104C06-FDB9-4C64-8E28-B9ECFB917E78.jpeg

I find it hilarious that this kid of proposal gets legs.

TO will not take less than OEL ++ for Matthews.

Losing OEL ++ would cripple Arz so badly that Matthews isn't worth it.

IMO, they're not good dance partner at this point. I could see Matthews landing in Florida though.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

If the Coyotes don’t get a face of the franchise type of player or make a deep run in the playoffs then they won’t be around in Phoenix and that’s why they do this deal. 
Atleast the Leafs make the playoffs not like the Coyotes 

And this is a good point. A local hero. But what's the real cost? 

I believe Arizona would have to give a little bit more.

53 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

And this is a good point. A local hero. But what's the real cost? 

I believe Arizona would have to give a little bit more.

They already would be giving up OEL, Crouse, Hayton, a 1st and 2nd round picks and that’s not including Arizona also taking Nylander at $7 million so I don’t think they would give anything else up, but to save their franchise they do this in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

I find it hilarious that this kid of proposal gets legs.

TO will not take less than OEL ++ for Matthews.

Losing OEL ++ would cripple Arz so badly that Matthews isn't worth it.

IMO, they're not good dance partner at this point. I could see Matthews landing in Florida though.

Arizona wont cripple their defense in this deal because Chychrun, Demers, Goligoski, Hjalmarsson and Ceci would be a decent defense which is partly why they are 2nd in the Pacific division. Arizona is more worried about still playing in Phoenix within 5 years and getting a new downtown arena and playing entertaining high scoring hockey which is what will happen if they do this deal.

TO would gladly take #1 dman, 2 young wingers that have grit and can score, 1st and 2nd round picks and get Arizona to take Nylander and his $7 million contract and have around $2 million in cap room with both Stepan and Raanta having one more year each. 
I don’t think you realize that Phoenix is really the only trading partner that can take Mathews and Nylander and take $2 million more in cap space while not having to play them in the playoffs or fight for a playoff spot against them like if they traded Mathews to Florida or Carolina or Buffalo. 

3 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Raanta and Stepan both only have one more year left which the leafs could trade one or both in the offseason but Raanta at $4.5 isn’t horrible and he can handle the net if Anderson gets injured for an extended period and Stepan can be a decent 2nd line centre behind Taveres. Keller wouldn’t be included for 2 reasons

1) Arizona won’t include him as they want him around for the future and he’s the only player the Coyotes won’t include in the deal

2) he has a 7 year $7.125 million contract starting next year and he would put the Leafs back into cap hell. 

If I were a Leafs fan I would rather have a 25 minute a night shutdown defensive stalwart that helps with breaking out of your own zone and still in his prime and is a typical Swede in the locker room being a great leader by example instead of a young gun, big bodied centre that seems to be temperamental and seems to make bad decisions off ice. It’s basically Mathews for OEL, Crouse, Haydon and the 1st round and 2nd round picks and the Coyotes would take Nylander because they want a scoring winger and to get Mathews they take that $7 million a year contract. This trade will change how the leafs play from a soft team that sometimes shows up to play, to a more hardworking team that still has Taveres and Marner and Kappenen to score to go along with the grit they get from Arizona that can also score.

Like I said Toronto does this to get #1 stud dman at under $9 million a year while also getting rid of Nylander’s horrible contract and getting younger scoring wingers and a backup goalie that can give Anderson a rest or push him when he is not playing so well. Arizona does this not to get better but so they can simply stay in Phoenix with getting a local kid that’s a star that will pack their arena and as long as Mathews is in the top 10 in NHL scoring and Arizona is within 5 points of a playoff spot for the next 5 years of having Mathews and Nylander then this is a win for them. Plus the Coyotes would have an all Leaf line of Mathews, Kessel and Nylander and watch them light the league on fire after leaving Toronto as everyone who gets traded from the Leafs normally ends up playing better (ie. Larry Murphy, Tyler Bozak, Kadri).

Leafs cap hell? Thats 22.5ish mill they trade out in ceci nylander and matthews.

Ekman-Larsson + hayton+ stepan+1st+2nd wont get AM.

TORONTO cap hell ? Then why do they want stepan and raanta?

7 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Arizona wont cripple their defense in this deal because Chychrun, Demers, Goligoski, Hjalmarsson and Ceci would be a decent defense which is partly why they are 2nd in the Pacific division. Arizona is more worried about still playing in Phoenix within 5 years and getting a new downtown arena and playing entertaining high scoring hockey which is what will happen if they do this deal.

TO would gladly take #1 dman, 2 young wingers that have grit and can score, 1st and 2nd round picks and get Arizona to take Nylander and his $7 million contract and have around $2 million in cap room with both Stepan and Raanta having one more year each. 
I don’t think you realize that Phoenix is really the only trading partner that can take Mathews and Nylander and take $2 million more in cap space while not having to play them in the playoffs or fight for a playoff spot against them like if they traded Mathews to Florida or Carolina or Buffalo. 

Ok, let's just pretend your values and logic work.

Is Dubas ready to eat his socks? 

Because he seems like he's not honestly confronting the reality he's created yet.

The proposal is ridiculous because there's way too many pieces, large pieces involved and you're dealing with two young GM's qho have small dick syndrome.

Edited by luckylager

Because they need a 2C and a goalie that can give Anderson a break, push him if he’s not playing well and even take over if he gets injured plus both players only have 1 more year left. Yes but the Leafs are taking back about $20 million in cap space. You need to read the whole rant to understand because it sounds like you are only reading certain parts as they would be in cap hell if they asked for Keller instead of Stepan.

6 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Ok, let's just pretend your values and logic work.

Is Dubas ready to eat his socks? 

Because he seems like he's not honestly confronting the reality he's created yet.

The proposal is ridiculous because there's way too many pieces, large pieces involved and you're dealing with two young GM's qho have small dick syndrome.

If this trade is terrible only because there are so many moving pieces then you have to be under 30 and not remember this happened often in the 1990’s and often helped both teams. Also Dubas and the Coyotes GM are the exact same kind of GM as they are both young, use analytics and both seem to dole out overpriced long term contracts to young players.