The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] How is Eriksson Not Waived?

Rate this topic

Provost

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we just need to pull a Luongo and re-hire Loui as the assistant advisor to the secondary european online scouting group. 

Yup.  The precedent was set by FLA, so we need to do the same.  Have LE retire now, and pay him 2 mil a year for the next 3 years in that role you suggested.  Got to pay him anyway, right?  Why not do what you suggest, and save 6 mil off the cap.  Everyone wins!  Great idea Jimmy!!!

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

^ this. Its not rocket surgery.

We haven't been healthy enough yet to waive Loui, and they didn't want to rush AG, which was smart imo. Now we know, AGs a spark plug and Roussel is set to come back any day now. 

It is just wearing thin... there have been so many opportunities where a more effective player goes down and LE stays up.  The minimal positive effect he had last year isn't even there anymore.  It is why I really though today would be a day we could see him finally go down... maybe we have to wait until another body gets healthy and off IR, but if anyone else gets on the roster gets sent down before him.... it just makes no sense at all, at least from a hockey perspective.  We also have a few younger guys in our depth chart that could use a quick look on the club in case of injuries

Our depth chart ahead of LE:

Pearson-Petterson-Boeser
Miller-Horvat-Virtanen
Roussel-Sutter-Leivo
Schaller-Beagle-Motte
Ferland-Gaudette-MacEwan
Baertschi-Graovac-Goldobin

Maybe you put LE in a tier tied for 19th on the depth chart with Boucher, Lind, Perron, and Jasek IF you are being generous at this point.  That would require at least 7 and as many as 11 injuries for him to hit the ice based on performance.
If we get down to that level, we are pretty hooped and could probably find better alternatives on the waiver wire or picked up in trade for free/swap of another minor league player.

• Like 1

Just now, Provost said:

It is just wearing thin... there have been so many opportunities where a more effective player goes down and LE stays up.  The minimal positive effect he had last year isn't even there anymore.  It is why I really though today would be a day we could see him finally go down... maybe we have to wait until another body gets healthy and off IR, but if anyone else gets on the roster gets sent down before him.... it just makes no sense at all, at least from a hockey perspective.  We also have a few younger guys in our depth chart that could use a quick look on the club in case of injuries

Pearson-Petterson-Boeser
Miller-Horvat-Virtanen
Roussel-Sutter-Leivo
Schaller-Beagle-Motte
Ferland-Gaudette-MacEwan

Maybe you put LE in a tier tied for 19th on the depth chart with Boucher, Lind, Perron, and Jasek IF you are being generous at this point.  That would require at least 7 and as many as 11 injuries for him to hit the ice based on performance.
If we get down to that level, we are pretty hooped and could probably find better alternatives on the waiver wire or picked up in trade for free/swap of another minor league player.

have there really been that many opportunities? like who? sure AG went back and forth a little bit but so what? kid got some learning in the meantime. AGs time in Utica did him no harm whatsoever. 

Be patient, hope better players get off IR and you'll get your wish. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we just need to pull a Luongo and re-hire Loui as the assistant advisor to the secondary european online scouting group. 

Nah, they'll create a new position for him that he's already well practiced at. 'Arena Rafter Inspector'.

0vgouekq9wa31.jpg&key=b7dea0c35ae313c32c

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  The precedent was set by FLA, so we need to do the same.  Have LE retire now, and pay him 2 mil a year for the next 3 years in that role you suggested.  Got to pay him anyway, right?  Why not do what you suggest, and save 6 mil off the cap.  Everyone wins!  Great idea Jimmy!!!

he'll get 6.66 mil if bought out. So hire him for 300K plus management performance bonuses that total 2 mil per year. Claim he identified the next Petterson every year. Bettman can go &^@# himself. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It’s Benning’s glaring black eye on an otherwise very successful tenure. It is down right embarrassing to JB to have to eat that contract. 

Personally I’d see if I could hire Tonya Harding to put Louie on the IR for the rest of his contract, but it’s probably not practical.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he'll get 6.66 mil if bought out. So hire him for 300K plus management performance bonuses that total 2 mil per year. Claim he identified the next Petterson every year. Bettman can go &^@# himself. 

Particularly after the Luongo &^@#ing pile of horse $&!# cap recapture up the ass :mad:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Provost said:

Pearson-Petterson-Boeser
Miller-Horvat-Virtanen
Roussel-Sutter-Leivo
Schaller-Beagle-Motte
Ferland-Gaudette-MacEwan

I can see this as an issue if LE continues to get playing time, but is the spot of 13th forward really that valuable for a young kid? We could just theoretically keep him in that spot as a sort of limbo and just call up players straight to the lineup, jumping over Eriksson in the 13th forward spot. 

this is so much of a nothing burger

forget all the energy spent on loui

not worth it

we need as 23rd roster player to mostly sit out games

and remain ready

you want a young prospect to do that much sitting?

loui does a fine job of sitting

and if the situation warrants he can play the odd game

he has little to no value to utica

people want to send him there out of spite

it's silly

he is not the problem on this team

focus on the important things, not the fringes

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I can see this as an issue if LE continues to get playing time, but is the spot of 13th forward really that valuable for a young kid? We could just theoretically keep him in that spot as a sort of limbo and just call up players straight to the lineup, jumping over Eriksson in the 13th forward spot. 

Well if you look at that depth chart... that 13th spot isn't just one of the kids in a slightly healthier lineup, it is one or more of the 10 guys Leivo, Motte, Gaudette, MacEwan, Ferland, Schaller, Graovac, Baertschi, Virtanen, or Goldobin competing for those final 5 non-locked spots on the roster (assuming Boeser, Petterson, Horvat, Miller, Roussel, Sutter, Pearson, and Beagle aren't getting sat in pretty much any circumstance).

Lots of veterans to hang in the 13-14th spots and lots of opportunity for a kid to take one of the top 12 spots and actually get playing time.

You can actually get nice surprises when playing your depth guys.

I would argue that if we hit a huge rash of injuries, that 13th spot for a short term call up stint IS valuable to a kid... getting a sniff at the big club and a reward for effort on the farm is a huge deal.

I always felt it had something to do with last year and how they handled Gagner and FA wasn't to happy with a guy making $3M playing in the minors, so I felt Benning was hesitant with Eriksson and doing the same, and how he may possibly be worried how FA would feel if a $6M guy was playing in the minors. 

Then I started thinking about the Boston connection these 2 have from the past. Benning probably feels bad for Eriksson because he brought him over here from Boston, and doesn't want to send a friend of his out of the NHL. I think he feels he would be the reason to end Erikssons NHL career, and he doesn't want to do that to him because of their past connection and probably a friendship, so he's trying to give Eriksson one more chance but it's obviously not working, Benning needs to put on his big boy pants and step up already and do the right thing waive him already.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

10 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

we need as 23rd roster player to mostly sit out games

and remain ready

you want a young prospect to do that much sitting?

loui does a fine job of sitting

and if the situation warrants he can play the odd game

Except we have a ton of veterans for that 13th spot who are simply better.  Baertschi, Leivo, Motte, Goldobin, Graovac, Schaller, etc so it isn't young prospects sitting there and stagnating.

Sending him down isn't spite, it is merit and valuable roster spots.

Edited by Provost

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except we have a ton of veterans for that 13th spot who are simply better.  Baertschi, Leivo, Motte, Goldobin, Graovac, Schaller, etc so it isn't young prospects sitting there and stagnating.

Sending him down isn't spite, it is merit and valuable roster spots.

you seem to be quite upset

and expending a lot of energy

on the final roster spot (it's the 23rd spot, not 13th)

it is a depth spot and really never has to be used

unless there a multiple injuries on back to back nights of games

otherwise there is sufficient time to call up other comet players

not sure why the final roster spot warrants so much critique

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I fully expected to see Eriksson on waivers today and sent to the farm.

I am not sure honestly what any argument against it could be at this point.

He isn’t penalty killing, he isn’t good defensively, he isn’t doing “the little things” right, he isn’t putting in the effort, he isn’t an option to fill in the top six during injuries, he no longer has the trust of his coach (look at his minutes when he is in the lineup).

When you are outplayed by a fringe guy like Graovac... you are done.

Maybe he retires rather than reporting to Utica, maybe not... but it should be tried.  It is startling how different the success of the entire team hinges on all four lines pushing the pace.  When we have lost that from our 4th line, suddenly the top two lines start faltering as well... maybe because they are focussed on more.

Sorry for a bit of a rant, but to me it is really inconceivable that the team hasn’t played hardball yet with this player.

Does anyone have an argument FOR Eriksson remaining now?  Mentoring Petterson doesn’t fly for me to keep a valuable roster spot... especially with the impending return of Roussel 

It's a good question, OP..just woke up to this philosophical poser; with a nasty half-cup of coffee, I reheated from yesterday's pot(I'm guessing this rot-gut holds more cup-value, that this insufferable cap-thief!)

It might have been mentioned..haven't scrolled yet? Perhaps they've cut a deal to grind thru 1 more yr of Hell w/this guy(on roster) & he'll skedaddle next summer after another ill-gotten bonus? I'm hoping this is the case..but I also buy lotto tix, cos' I have a dream, dammit!