The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canuck’s Prospect Rankings #1-10

To be honest, I'm not as sold on Podkolzin as a lot of others are. I think he'll make the show, but I don't expect him to be a star. I'm higher on Hoglander right now actually. I'm getting pretty high on Rafferty too, but he's 24 years old so I'm not sure he counts really. Woo is falling down my list as of late. Lind has saved his bacon with a stronger start in Utica this year, but Gadjovich has had injuries. Palmu sneaks in because even though he's probably working his way out our system, he's dominating the SM-Liiga this year.

My list:

1. Juolevi

2. Hoglander

3. Podkolzin

4. Dipietro

5. Lind

6. Rathbone

7. Madden

8. Woo

9. Focht

10. Palmu

All in all, our prospect list is dramatically worse than it has been recently, but I'm not at all worried, because that's due to so many recent "graduates" from the "prospect" category. 

•  

1. Podkolzin……………………………………...Short on goals, high on creativity, high on energy, high on physicality, high on speed, and leadership

2. Hoglander……………………………………..high on creativity, speed and physicality

3. DiPietro...……………………………………...showing well...….time will tell...….he is a goalie, it is a long process...…...and never a guarantee

4. Madden...……………………………………...Shows great awareness, and pretty solid offense...…...how does he do on faceoffs?

5. Rathbone...…………………………………….there was a reason he played with Fox last year, now we have to sign him

6. Juolevi...…………………………………….....Mr. Glass has talent, but he is ruining his development time in injury

================

7. Lind...…………………………………………..I told everybody not to condemn a 1st pro...…….let's just watch and hope 

8. Rafferty...………………………...…………….Only seen a little of him. Is he as good as everyone says...….kind of getting old

9. Woo...………………………………….……….Let's see if he makes the Canadian team, and where his minutes are

10. Brisebois...…………………………………...I think he is a gem (Topaz), but I think he is a NHLer next year.....somewhere

11. Macewen…………...………………….……..Love his hands for a big man. I hope they give him his time

================    L. Karlsson…………...Need more info on him, but still should be up here somewhere????

12. Lockwood...…………………………………..I hope we sign him...….someone called him a Motte clone......that is bad????

13. Perron…………………………………..…….???????

14. Teves…...………...………...……………  ….???????

15. Gadjovich...…………………………………...Needs to improve his speed...…….everything else is a checkmark

16. Focht…………………………………………..Team Canada????

17. McDonagh…………………………………....???????

18. Silovs………………...………………………..Sleeper! I bet he is a keeper!

19. Palmu…………...………………...…………..I want to see this guy in a training camp

20. Utunen…………………...…...……...…...…..Captain material, can never have enough! Great 1st pass. Very Defensive …should be a lot higher/above Karlsson

21. Keppen………...……...…………......…...…..He scores goals, but what else?

22. Jack Malone...………………………………...Read a couple of articles on him. I am going to keep an eye on him

I think from L.Karlsson to Malone are all the same, except Utunen, who I have seen play in person, and was impressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:
  •  

1. Podkolzin……………………………………...Short on goals, high on creativity, high on energy, high on physicality, high on speed, and leadership

2. Hoglander……………………………………..high on creativity, speed and physicality

3. DiPietro...……………………………………...showing well...….time will tell...….he is a goalie, it is a long process...…...and never a guarantee

4. Madden...……………………………………...Shows great awareness, and pretty solid offense...…...how does he do on faceoffs?

5. Rathbone...…………………………………….there was a reason he played with Fox last year, now we have to sign him

6. Juolevi...…………………………………….....Mr. Glass has talent, but he is ruining his development time in injury

================

7. Lind...…………………………………………..I told everybody not to condemn a 1st pro...…….let's just watch and hope 

8. Rafferty...………………………...…………….Only seen a little of him. Is he as good as everyone says...….kind of getting old

9. Woo...………………………………….……….Let's see if he makes the Canadian team, and where his minutes are

10. Brisebois...…………………………………...I think he is a gem (Topaz), but I think he is a NHLer next year.....somewhere

11. Macewen…………...………………….……..Love his hands for a big man. I hope they give him his time

================    L. Karlsson…………...Need more info on him, but still should be up here somewhere????

12. Lockwood...…………………………………..I hope we sign him...….someone called him a Motte clone......that is bad????

13. Perron…………………………………..…….???????

14. Teves…...………...………...……………  ….???????

15. Gadjovich...…………………………………...Needs to improve his speed...…….everything else is a checkmark

16. Focht…………………………………………..Team Canada????

17. McDonagh…………………………………....???????

18. Silovs………………...………………………..Sleeper! I bet he is a keeper!

19. Palmu…………...………………...…………..I want to see this guy in a training camp

20. Utunen…………………...…...……...…...…..Captain material, can never have enough! Great 1st pass. Very Defensive …should be a lot higher/above Karlsson

21. Keppen………...……...…………......…...…..He scores goals, but what else?

22. Jack Malone...………………………………...Read a couple of articles on him. I am going to keep an eye on him

I think from L.Karlsson to Malone are all the same, except Utunen, who I have seen play in person, and was impressed.

I agree with this

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

When you're talking about a top ten pick like Podkolzin, or a skill player like Hoglander, I really do think production has to be the first thing that's looked at, especially considering that production is the best indicator we have. If you're looking at guys that are slated to fill out bottom six or bottom pairing roles, I think other aspects of performance may start to take precedence, but when you're looking at players that were drafted high or are what we'd consider to be 'high skill players', offensive production is the key indicator. And I don't think a guy that was picked in the top ten topping out as a "support player' can be seen as a success. You want to nab a core piece with a top ten pick. 

I think you are over simplifying the evaluation. PPG has value but that cannot carry the day. When I look at Pods I cannot help but think of Bob Gainey when he was drafted by the Habs at #8. He was never a big scorer but arguably was a absolute beast that drove many CUPs for Montreal. He dominated the NHL for years. 

When I watched Pods in the recent tour I saw a player who was defensively aware and had good vision of the play. His passing was more than solid. Good skating. This was a tourny of mostly 19 year olds as well. His coach liked what he saw as Pods was playing at critical times.  

• Upvote 1

A lot of our prospect-breakthrough seems attributable to character. Some of them might have setbacks/ poor yrs, etc...but what may cause some kids to lose heart, might just motivate the prospect that has the requisite character. Sometimes the early adversity produces an exceptional gem.

Should we have(some day) a truly elite team, filled with top character pros, it'll ensure even more motivation for highly picked youth to do the homework, & make the big team. Elite talent want to play with classy, committed pros like EP, Bo, QH & BB.

When you have a top-end team, there are no short cuts to admission.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

On 11/24/2019 at 1:54 AM, Snapshot85 said:

I believe majority of lockwood missed time was to care for a disabled sibling...no personal injury 

Nope.  He has had recurring shoulder injuries. You might be thinking of Rathbone - ailing brother, but Rathbone has not missed any games because of it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Nope.  He has had recurring shoulder injuries. You might be thinking of Rathbone - ailing brother, but Rathbone has not missed any games because of it.

You are correct. It seems I got my facts mixed up on the 2 prospects. I was sure it was lockwood... but it's not.

I dont mind admitting when I'm wrong

Cheers

• Cheers 2

On 11/23/2019 at 3:45 PM, DontMessMe said:

Lockwood: bust

I hope not, but I said 2 years ago that he would be a stretch to make the NHL with his style of play and how fast he's accumulating injuries.

I like his style of play, but I'm not sure his style of play likes him.

I've always been a big fan of prospects and future potential/young teams. Our prospect pool has lost some of its top-end magic from graduations, but the depth is better than I ever remember it being! 

#1 Podkolzin -Hasn't shown as much as some have hoped so far, but remember he's only about 18.5 years old and recently played over 11 mins in the KHL, has all the tools

#2 Madden - His rise has been shocking, and tied for 4th in the NCAA in goals as of a few days ago. If you watch his condensed highlights, he dangles like 5 players a game! 

#3 Hoglander - He also hasn't put up quite the numbers I was expecting, but has a candidate for goal of the year in SHL, and is heating up and playing 18 mins/game lately in a mens league right after being drafted. He's on pace to put up a decent goal scoring season, but I think he only has 1 apple. Goes to the hard areas as a smaller guy

#4 Juolevi - Hard to rank Juolevi with the repetitive injuries wiping out development time. He could never make the NHL or become a Top 3 D, hard to say

#5 Woo - After being touted as a throwback, physical D man, put up monster numbers last year. Stats aren't quite as good this year after the trade, but he's starting to roll now

#6 Rathbone -Almost put him above Woo. He looks amazing this season, and actually had a really impressive year last season. He would probably be our second best skater on the blueline already, after Hughes of course (Myers can skate as well). 

#7 Dipietro - He has been better than I expected for Utica this season. I would say he's pretty close to being their #1 tendy as a 20 year old rookie. If you haven't seen it already check out his pad save from his last start! We have unreal goalie depth

#8 Lind - Having a great year in Utica this season, I love his ability to agitate, skate, and score. Its remarkable to have a prospect like Lind at #8 

#9 Rafferty - He looked good in training camp, and I've heard him mentioned as a rookie of the year candidate for the AHL (although he is 24) 

#10 Brisebois - He also looked impressive at camp, he was a captain in junior and I think he will be a solid #5 D man 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1