The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van & Nash(Proposal-discussion)

1 hour ago, WCE said:

I would consider this

To Nsh Sutter & Pearson  

To Van Turris, Sissons & 3rd rd 2020

So we trade a 3rd line centre and a 2nd line winger for 2 2nd line centres? How does that make sense and specially one of them has 5 years left at $6 million and is like Ericksson that can’t get in the lineup on a team that isn’t winning or scoring. Also we need wingers not more centres. I would ask for Arvidson as before Granlund came over he was playing 2nd line winger and scoring 20 goals I believe. 

Only reason I want to add Sissons is he signed for another six years after this under 3 mil and according to capfriendly listed as RW,C so could play either also Vancouver born.

would also like to Watson if we could get him at 6'4 some size

3 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

So we trade a 3rd line centre and a 2nd line winger for 2 2nd line centres? How does that make sense and specially one of them has 5 years left at $6 million and is like Ericksson that can’t get in the lineup on a team that isn’t winning or scoring. Also we need wingers not more centres. I would ask for Arvidson as before Granlund came over he was playing 2nd line winger and scoring 20 goals I believe. 

Turris has been playing well to start the season but Nashville has too many Cs and he isn't a C4.  He has never played wing.  This is not an Eriksson situation.  

A Turris buyout is a 2M cap hit.  Poile has bought out numerous players in the past - why would he change tactic and give up a key asset.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, WCE said:

Only reason I want to add Sissons is he signed for another six years after this under 3 mil and according to capfriendly listed as RW,C so could play either also Vancouver born.

would also like to Watson if we could get him at 6'4 some size

Watson would be a good playoff player but we have Ferland who is smaller but is a pit bull and both Watson and Sissons are 3rd line players which we have an abundance of already. Arvidson is the winger the Canucks would want but not at taking Turris contract.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Turris has been playing well to start the season but Nashville has too many Cs and he isn't a C4.  He has never played wing.  This is not an Eriksson situation.  

A Turris buyout is a 2M cap hit.  Poile has bought out numerous players in the past - why would he change tactic and give up a key asset.  

That’s right Turris is not a Ericksson situation, he’s much worse. It doesn’t matter why he’s not in the lineup it just matters a $6 million dollar player can’t dress on team that isn’t scoring. If the Canucks picked him up and we still have Ericksson on the team like a few people on this thread have suggested the Canucks would be in cap hell when Pettersson’s deal is up.

Just now, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

That’s right Turris is not a Ericksson situation, he’s much worse. It doesn’t matter why he’s not in the lineup it just matters a $6 million dollar player can’t dress on team that isn’t scoring. If the Canucks picked him up and we still have Ericksson on the team like a few people on this thread have suggested the Canucks would be in cap hell when Pettersson’s deal is up.

He's a scoring C - so who do you propose they take out.  Johansen, Duchene or Bonino.  

Turris got to play C2 with Duchene moving to wing but Duchene hasn't been as effective at wing.  Turris is not a winger - he has never played the position.  C1 is Johansen and C2 is Duchene.  The Bonino line has been their best line and the only one scoring during their slump.  Bonino also kills penalties which Turris doesn't do.  

They've tried Turris at C4 but it's not a role suited for him plus Sissons and Watson have also been terrible lately which just dragged Turris good start of the season down.

Poile's strategy to get rid of bad contracts has been to buy them out - Clune, Stalberg, Nystrom, Barret.  It's a 2M cap hit - less than retaining 50% salary or giving up a key asset.  

Don’t know about this trade specifically, but some trade of Loui and Turris is something interesting to talk about.

There is every chance Turris becomes a useful player again in another situation.  No chance at this point that Loui does.

Tough to guess the risk/reward on what else would have to go either way to make it work.  Extra term on Turris but an easier buyout.

Maybe it is a homer position, but Nashville would have to add a fairly big asset for the extra term and/or retain salary to make it more even.

Putting Turris on the wing on one of our two top lines gives a natural centre who shoots right and can take face off on his strong side while Petterson and Horvat shoot Left.  Could work... he has been a solid 50+ point guy fairly consistently.

10 hours ago, Provost said:

Don’t know about this trade specifically, but some trade of Loui and Turris is something interesting to talk about.

There is every chance Turris becomes a useful player again in another situation.  No chance at this point that Loui does.

Tough to guess the risk/reward on what else would have to go either way to make it work.  Extra term on Turris but an easier buyout.

Maybe it is a homer position, but Nashville would have to add a fairly big asset for the extra term and/or retain salary to make it more even.

Putting Turris on the wing on one of our two top lines gives a natural centre who shoots right and can take face off on his strong side while Petterson and Horvat shoot Left.  Could work... he has been a solid 50+ point guy fairly consistently.

Turris has never played wing.  They tried him but he hasn't looked comfortable.  He might have been a more productive option than Granlund on the wing who only has 9pts (3 goals) in 23 games or Smith 7 pts (2 goals).  Turris playing all over the lineup and constantly changing linemates and being scratched has 9pts (4 goals) in 19 games.

Now that his injuries are behind him, Turris would probably be a decent C2 / C3 on another team but Poile loaded up at C and he doesn't play wing, and he's not a C4.  

Neither Turris or Eriksson are useful to Nashville.  Eriksson is a 5.7M buyout followed by 3.7M - it would considerably limit their flexibility when their window is wide open now.  Turris is 2M flat - longer term but easier to navigate.  

Canucks are still building towards becoming top contenders - Eriksson is off the books earlier.  Turris with the added term would seem to limit them more down the road.   They already have Pettersson/Horvat and Gaudette/Sutter battling for C3 and there's really no indication that at age 30 Turris can move to wing.

Turris looks to be in the dog house.  Although not great at wing you would think that he is a better option than Carr, a 28 year old AHLer, to replace Arvidsson in the top-6.  Matthieu is a 4th liner and a better fit with Sissons/Watson than Turris.  

Edited by mll

I have been trying to think of a potential Turris trade. I truly think his struggles are due to a personal situation with the coach. He was an effective 2C in Ottawa, started out gangbusters in Nashville, and had 10 points in 10 games at the World Championships last Spring.

But I don’t think there’s a fit in Vancouver. We’re pretty set at C, and need the future cap space to use elsewhere. And as was pointed out, Eriksson doesn’t really fix anything for them.

I wonder though about whether we’d consider Sutter for Turris with $2M retained. Same cap hit for Nash as a buyout, but only half the length. When healthy, Sutter would be a luxury at 4C. Gives us a healthier 3C, help on PP2, and more secondary scoring. Gaudette looks well suited to play wing. Clogs up things down the road when Madden is ready, but can always flip him again (esp if he does well).

• Upvote 1