The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

EKL Fantasy Keeper League 2019-20 season

Primal Optimist

*you may notice more team sheets moving to the new format faster: I am focusing on just the Clauses to get that resolved fastest, and once a team has its clauses double checked, I am moving that team to the new format. I will double back after all the clauses to continue with the full makeover and draft notes. Cheers.

• Cheers 1

League Announcement!

This one may be deemed controversial by the minority whom it affects, but the league will be healthier for it, and the majority will likely appreciate the tweak.

A total of nine players back at the inaugural draft were freshly inking 8 year re-signings with their NHL clubs. As the executive were scrambling to get the league up and running at the time, all the contracts for 1200 players were copied over to this league from the NHL's cap lists, including the 9 contracts for eight year re-signings.

I have ruled that it is impossible to "RE-sign" a player you have just drafted, and as such I have cut the final year off all nine of those deals. Before anyone is outraged, remember this is 7 years away and therefore has zero credible impact to the league. It does however fix an incongruous match of two concepts. Using existing contracts: brilliant! Using 8 year extensions for our brand new draftees: an oversight. 

Thank you for understanding and for those that this affects, feel free to voice your thoughts to me via PM, however I have thought this over for a long while and it IS the correct move for our league. Obviously, any player who was legit re-signed in the EKL's history is eligible to have an 8th year negotiated, and I think there was one instance of that I have seen which is still intact as it wasn't a contravention of our rules the way an 8th year from the first contract would be. 

Cheers, and I hope the 9 folks this affects 8 years from now will be kind and understanding. 

P.O>

2 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

League Announcement!

This one may be deemed controversial by the minority whom it affects, but the league will be healthier for it, and the majority will likely appreciate the tweak.

A total of nine players back at the inaugural draft were freshly inking 8 year re-signings with their NHL clubs. As the executive were scrambling to get the league up and running at the time, all the contracts for 1200 players were copied over to this league from the NHL's cap lists, including the 9 contracts for eight year re-signings.

I have ruled that it is impossible to "RE-sign" a player you have just drafted, and as such I have cut the final year off all nine of those deals. Before anyone is outraged, remember this is 7 years away and therefore has zero credible impact to the league. It does however fix an incongruous match of two concepts. Using existing contracts: brilliant! Using 8 year extensions for our brand new draftees: an oversight. 

Thank you for understanding and for those that this affects, feel free to voice your thoughts to me via PM, however I have thought this over for a long while and it IS the correct move for our league. Obviously, any player who was legit re-signed in the EKL's history is eligible to have an 8th year negotiated, and I think there was one instance of that I have seen which is still intact as it wasn't a contravention of our rules the way an 8th year from the first contract would be. 

Cheers, and I hope the 9 folks this affects 8 years from now will be kind and understanding. 

P.O>

I appreciate your hard work, Primal. And this doesn't really make much of a difference. However, I think you're over-thinking this one. It makes far more sense to just take the contracts as they were IRL, as was the rule as everyone understood it at the time.

I mean, according to your logic, it would be impossible to sign anyone you "just drafted" to anything more than a 3-year ELC. But we obviously weren't just drafting a player...we were taking them as they were...which includes their contract.

The players who just signed their 8-year deals during the draft (Carlson, OEL, Couture, Doughty, Kucherov, Gibson, Ellis, Seguin) should be no different than the players who signed their 8-year deals earlier in the year, but that also started in 2018-19 (Matheson, Eichel, McDavid, Price, Fowler, Vlasic). That's what we all agreed to when doing the draft.

Going back 1.5 years later and changing that is strange, especially since I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish. Like you said, it doesn't make much of a difference...so why are we doing it?

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I appreciate your hard work, Primal. And this doesn't really make much of a difference. However, I think you're over-thinking this one. It makes far more sense to just take the contracts as they were IRL, as was the rule as everyone understood it at the time.

I mean, according to your logic, it would be impossible to sign anyone you "just drafted" to anything more than a 3-year ELC. But we obviously weren't just drafting a player...we were taking them as they were...which includes their contract.

The players who just signed their 8-year deals during the draft (Carlson, OEL, Couture, Doughty, Kucherov, Gibson, Ellis, Seguin) should be no different than the players who signed their 8-year deals earlier in the year, but that also started in 2018-19 (Matheson, Eichel, McDavid, Price, Fowler, Vlasic). That's what we all agreed to when doing the draft.

Going back 1.5 years later and changing that is strange, especially since I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish. Like you said, it doesn't make much of a difference...so why are we doing it?

I have asked repeatedly for folks to step up and volunteer to work with the executive on the entire EKL. To date: zero applications to join the executive.

I have had to install some "order of operations" rules to figure out what we are doing and where we are going, and how to ensure the league is successful.

The 8 year inaugural draft contract for just 9 teams to enjoy didn't make the cut for the overall fairness and transparency of the league, and I believe it was an oversight of the original draft to allow it to go forward: and being as it is just 9 contracts: and its so far away it has  already been fixed. 

Generally, these overarching strategies are the future of the league:

~RFA contract renewals need a 10 % pay raise: helps make tougher decisions earlier and free up players for parity : there have been about a dozen thus far where the RFA renewal was below the previous years contract, so it has been fixed where found

~arguably the nine most desired players in the league were allowed to be locked up for 8 years from the inaugural draft where I have decided to block that at 7 years (also the reason not to do all 1200 players at a max of 3 years is overwhelming work that cant reasonably be done but nine players was easy and took 10 minutes) as it isn't a big deal it is a fait complete. I imagine that those players will mostly stay where they are at the time of their next renewals, so it makes it even less of an issue, but at that future time they will be most likely more expensive, forcing tough decisions and freeing up players for league parity

~in the offseason we will most likely change to include the three ELC SLIDE contracts in the total number of contracts maxed at 50. Currently they are aside from the 50. Again this is to force tougher decisions earlier in a players life cycle and promote more players available and thus more parity.

To be short; these strategies are for long term league health and have been thought through with an eye towards averal league success. Each change is a small one that doesn't affect much in real time, but over time, league wide will have an impact of more pro hockey players available for teams that need bodies and need to rebuild to compete. Taking a minmax approach: a few % here and a few % there adds up to a higher % of NHL players and those who have NHL contracts in the minors becoming available to the general pool.

I strongly believe that without such measures, the long term survival of a league with one executive member is in doubt. The object of making overarching strategies and then following through with them line by line is to not be skewed or lobbied based on any one teams needs. Following the overarching strategy means transparency. Like checking all the clauses ...if i find mistakes that date back to the draft I am fixing them, as I should, rather than build what i hope to be is a good long term league based on what I am finding is a dramatic number of mistakes and errors. I want them all fixed if I am to proceed and take responsibility long term. Sorry to be long winded again, but you do deserve my full answer. 

Thanks, good question. 

41 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Noted these to pay attn to as i get to them during double checks which again will take a few hours a day for another three or four weeks... I didn't see them as an issue yesterday, but i may have missed em. cheers. 

EDIT: taking time to try to answer some of you names here..i am human and can make errors just like everyone else...

Seguin was signed to a 7 year deal in thread by tylez as commish june 4th 2019 and he originally had one year left on his inaugural draft contract.

Ellis was on the final year of his deal at the inaugural draft and was re-signed June 5th 2019 by Tylez as commish...

Gibson same...resigned on June 18th 2019 after the first and last year of his inaugural draft contract..

Kucherov...signed a 5 year deal June 24th 2019 in the EKL..

Doughty was June 18th 2019...

Couture was re-signed by agent Tylez Feb 25th 2019 to a 5 year contract..

Oliver Ekman-Larsson was a pending uFA in a post from Feb 26th 2019...and i dont have time to waste to find the date..but he is also not a problem to our rules: (we CAN sign players we already have under contract to 8 year extensions, if the player agrees to such an offer)

Carlson was an 8 year contract at inaugural draft and so is included in my original list of nine.

I have really done as thorough a job as a volunteer can do, but double checks are a good thing...in this case though all your examples are good to go by our rules and overarching strategies. 

Edited by Primal Optimist

31 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

The 8 year inaugural draft contract for just 9 teams to enjoy didn't make the cut for the overall fairness and transparency of the league, and I believe it was an oversight of the original draft to allow it to go forward: and being as it is just 9 contracts: and its so far away it has  already been fixed. 

That's just it - the 8 years isn't a BENEFIT for most of those deals. The GMs of most of those players are likely happy that they don't have to deal with the 8th year of those contracts. While at the same time, they are enjoying the benefit of a lower cap hit than their player would have had if their RL team only offered 7 years.

But whatever, it's not a big deal. Still though, I think you're making more work for yourself, for something not necessary.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

That's just it - the 8 years isn't a BENEFIT for most of those deals. The GMs of most of those players are likely happy that they don't have to deal with the 8th year of those contracts. While at the same time, they are enjoying the benefit of a lower cap hit than their player would have had if their RL team only offered 7 years.

But whatever, it's not a big deal. Still though, I think you're making more work for yourself, for something not necessary.

I can just tell you that 'benefit or burden' wasn't a factor in my decision. Locking down a player at the draft for 8 seasons not being a very good thing for league parity was the consideration I used. IMO however, as you assert without evidence that most would be a burden in their 8th year...I see it differently with evidence: 4 of them will be very much in demand in their contract renewal year, three will be north of 35 but still likely valuable players and two will most likely not be in the league at all at that time. Further, six years from now the cap will be north of 90m and may even hit or exceed the 100 million mark..contracts are all going to be going up, and thus I doubt any of these players who isn't retired at that time will be cheaper by any stretch

McDavid will be 27ish and at his peak level and likely highest value at renewal time

Eichel will be just 30 and only a year or two past his peak performance

Matheson will only be in his early 30's and very much in play

Fowler will be in his mid 30's and in play

Carlson will be about 36 and who knows? 

Crosby will be 37ish

Price will be 37ish

Weber will be 42ish and retired

Vlasic will be 40ish and retired

That last line is definitely true: but I have a lot of free time, and I have a work ethic bordering on OCD, if not firmly with two feet planted inbounds of  the OCD field, haha

I really don't mind doing it, as I couldn't stand to be the commish knowing there are errors at the core of the league. It is so early that I would rather put in 400 hours over 2 months and know for a fact that any errors after February are my own mistakes and not structural to the whole thing. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

McDavid will be 27ish and at his peak level and likely highest value at renewal time

Eichel will be just 30 and only a year or two past his peak performance

Woah hold on, both players were drafted in 2015, why does McDavid not age at the same rate?

I demand Eichel get to drink from the fountain of youth too!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Looked f'Ing great to me, this Finn!

27 minutes ago, D-Money said:

That's all Monty. I didn't have a clue who he was at the draft.

Instead of taking Maccelli in FL, I opted for defence this last draft. The knock on Maccelli was his “IDGAF” personality. Huge gamble IRL to use an early pick on (see: Ho-Sang). But definitely worth a later shot.

• Haha 1

I still hang on the team failure of Ho-Sang sleeping in..if he didn't get the trade he asked for yet, I hope he does soon. Sitting on a contract to punish the human with no intention of using the contract or the human on the big club makes me disinterested in the real life GM keeping his real life job. I know there is individual accountability, but everyone was in the same hotel, and all had roomates...if my squaddie slept in the whole troop did pushups and extra miles uphill at PT. I have a gut feeling this is an extension of the closet racism that has persisted in hockey for decades. I know my opinion is in the minority, but it is still there with Josh Ho-Sang...I feel for the guy...has been called selfish for years despite swapping his entire game for a pass first mentality from the shoot first one that got him to the training camp  in question.

• Cheers 1

League Announcement!

GM Stamkos has donated his time to the EKL and as such is joining the Executive. I am thrilled beyond belief to have the help and Stamkos has agreed to take on the role of Trade Tracker.  

Please include Stamkos in all trade calls from now on, as well as continuing to include me while Stamkos gets his feet under him. Beginning in February I will happily step back from that part. Thank you so much for stepping up, great start to the year!

I envision having a Waivers Tracker as well, another important role for a future exec volunteer if anyone is so inclined to want to take that on. Like the trade tracking, it isn't too onerous a job, but does require a certain level of online activity just to ensure prompt follow through when someone is waived. I prefer to keep updates within a few days of each other rather than let them go a while, easier to keep it up and get the job done in smaller bites and everyone enjoys fresh updates when they are fast. Waivers job is more critical in Early October than any other time of year besides deadline's whereas the trade tracker is super busy in the lead up to the trade deadline more so than any other time of year.

Once we have at least three volunteers, we will work as a team to get agents in place and perhaps grow the exec to four or five in total over time. Thanks for reading and thank you @Stamkos for stepping up! Many Hands Make Light Work!

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Cheers 1