The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

EKL Fantasy Keeper League 2019-20 season

Primal Optimist

2 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

Again: If you think your player may be healthy and able to return at some point: shouldn't you ensure there is a compliant way to activate him from IR? 

Yeah, there is a way. If he's not going to be back in the regular season, then I can just activate his a$$ in the playoffs, as there is no cap. That's the way it is in the NHL, in every other fantasy league here, and in EKL, as per the current CBA.

If by some crazy circumstances Hamilton is back before the end of the season, there are other ways to work around it (send down a player or 2, waive someone, etc.). But according to all reports, Hamilton will be lucky to be back for round 1. So according to the rules, we should be able to use his I/R space however we want during the regular season (i.e. add a non-playoff player who will replace his regular season production), and then activate him in the playoffs without worrying about the cap.

23 minutes ago, D-Money said:

However, Carolina does not need to activate him prior to the playoffs IRL. 

To be sure you understand what I am saying: he must be ABLE to have been activated in the final couple days of the regular season: as in you must have a clear path to within the compliance rules activate him from IR..but if he is still for real broken into the 2nd round...you could in theory activate him for the round he is healthy enough to play in. 

This is a very small sliver of possible players that are effected in any given year: but I will not allow it to be a loophole for cap circumvention, which is why the Amplificatio of our existing rules...you have to have the space to activate a player off IR, that is 100% common sense.

Pre-Planning to not have the space and activate a guy after the end of the season is literally the definition of cap circumvention: it doesn't stand up. 

My amplification spells out how I will decide if a player qualifies to represent a club in the post season with regards to spending huge chunks of time on IR. We want to be able to use them legitimately if they come back late in the first round, the third round et cetera....but we don't want to hide healthy players on IR for the last two weeks of the season because there is no room....

I don't see the point of arguing about specific self interest circumstances when discussing processes and rules. 

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Hamilton is back before the end of the season, there are other ways to work around it (send down a player or 2, waive someone, etc.

Okay this helps ! 

This is where you misunderstood what I was saying: you just described what I am talking about: you must have a clear path to do that available. That is all. If you have that path you can use him in the playoffs...

I thought I was very clear about that in the original post this morning. 

@D-Money Dude, I just checked your specific situation:  it doesn't appear to me that this issue will affect you...lol....You have the room to activate him if he makes it back... because you have cap room plus waiver ineligible players to send down to add to the space...its a non issue for your club. I really think you just misunderstood the notice. 

Thanks for helping me better explain what I was trying to say. Appreciate that. 

Just now, Primal Optimist said:

@D-Money Dude, I just checked your specific situation:  it doesn't appear to me that this issue will affect you...lol....You have the room to activate him if he makes it back... because you have cap room plus waiver ineligible players to send down to add to the space...its a non issue for your club. I really think you just misunderstood the notice. 

Thanks for helping me better explain what I was trying to say. Appreciate that. 

I think I understand what you're saying. But I still don't think this is a real issue.

If a team is hoping to stash a guy prior to the playoffs, they are running a risk, b/c if they come back early IRL, they have to bring them back, and they may end up having to waive a valuable player to make it work.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I think I understand what you're saying. But I still don't think this is a real issue.

If a team is hoping to stash a guy prior to the playoffs, they are running a risk, b/c if they come back early IRL, they have to bring them back, and they may end up having to waive a valuable player to make it work.

Yes, that is precisely why I posted this morning. 100% informing folks not to take that risk because a GM will be sad if that GM assumes they can work around the cap by pushing until the day after the season to activate a guy. It probably will never be a thing, because we are all honest brokers, but to amplify that dudes on IR need to be able to come back when healthy I had to make that post with 3 weeks left for clubs that didn't consider that to make some changes before the deadline. 

My choice to post that Feb 3rd was to avoid a GM quitting on day one of the playoffs because they thought they could do something that as we all now know: they couldn't. Three weeks to fix anything that needs fixing with full amplification of the existing rules. 

Edited by Primal Optimist

On 2/3/2020 at 1:29 PM, Monty said:

My brain hurts. And not because I don’t understand what just happened.

Jeez.

you should see my throbbing temples, however it was healthy to sort it out in thread for transparency purposes, tough sledding though for sure.

two easy positions open currently: waiver tracker and trade tracker. two more possible for agents. pm me for details

In other news:

@Nicklas Bo Hunter The Buffalo Sabres' Brandon Montour is healthy and must be activated from IR now. 

@Papa Sawce The Detroit Red Wings' Mason Appleton and Austin Czarnik are healthy and must be activated from IR now

@D-Money @Monty friendly reminder the Minnesota Wild's Joonas Korpisalo is travelling with the club and is expected back soon. 

@Caboose the Pittsburgh Penguins Trevor Moore is healthy and must be activated from IR now. Friendly reminder Paul Byron is back with the club soon

@Master Mind Friendly reminder that the Tampa Bay Lightning's Nick Paul is back soon.

didn't check every club, just the 7  teams where IR money exceeded Cap Space money. ALL GM's are reminded to check your IR players and return the healthy ones to action, I will look into the rest over the coming week, proactive GM's can help by doing it first. 

• Cheers 2

Continuing looks at all the IR players:

@Brock Botanen the Ottawa Senators players Zach Bogosian and Greg Pateryn are healthy and must be activated from IR. Please make roster moves accordingly.

@JimLahey the New York Rangers players Oliver Bjorkstrand and Troy Terry are healthy and need to be activated from IR, et cetra

@janisahockeynut the New Jersey Devils player Antoine Russell is healthy and must be activated. please make the necessary moves in thread. 

@Gally @Miroki the Colorado Avalanche player Justin Schultz is healthy and must be activated, please make the roster moves in thread to see to this.

• Cheers 2

On 2/2/2020 at 6:48 PM, Primal Optimist said:

Fantasy FIve for Sixth of February (thursday this week)

chips in: 233

Giving lots of lead in time for max participation: who will win these games? Reply in thread with your guesses (keep in mind, if we end the year over 250 the left over chips will pay for live stats for the playoffs, next years season and some upgrades on the Discord server. )

Ducks VS Habs

Jets VS Blues

Canucks VS Wild

Preds VS Flames

Sharks VS Oilers

Bumping so ya'll can vote before tomorrow!