The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Maginator said:

Guys like this are true beauties. &%$# being a bystander. Especially in the toxic environment of hockey dressing rooms.

I played junior and witnessed tons of hazing. On one particular road trip the "rookie b*$@#'s" were crammed into the bathroom of a bus on a road trip. They all had to strip naked and "run through the gauntlet" of leather belts to the front of the bus.

So glad I refused to degrade myself to that level. Its F#&$ed up because coaches were at the front of the bus, and were well aware of what was going on. The coaches son was one of the belt whippers.

Really no one to inform at the time. Either stay silent and keep playing hockey, or speak out and get outed in small town Alberta.

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

Happened on my bus too, and I refused to participate

What happens if you don’t participate?

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What did Downie do?

Was involved in hazing Aliu while playing for (I believe) the Windsor Spitfires. One incident involving the rookies being forced naked into the bus’ bathroom then running through the gauntlet of belt lashes up the aisle. I think Aliu refused to participate which led to some tension between him and the vets, culminating in a fight between him and Downie. Think Downie may have given him a cross check to the chops at practice or something like that. Downie was a first round pick and a fan favourite while Aliu was  just a rookie, so fans took Downie’s side. 

Sportsnet ran a good piece on it maybe about a year ago. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Yep, totally wrong to expose a bigot.  Akim doesn't control anyone's opinions on the matter; all he did was be honest.

I'm curious what songs Akim was playing that got that response.

I'm of the opinion that if you play a song with racist words for others to hear that you should be held accountable. Still not sure why those lyrics are allowed by anyone this day and age.

Just now, shad0w4life said:

I'm curious what songs Akim was playing that got that response.

I'm of the opinion that if you play a song with racist words for others to hear that you should be held accountable. Still not sure why those lyrics are allowed by anyone this day and age.

not that I disagree with that, but that's no excuse for Peters

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

Do you think if a black coach said to a white guy “turn that cracker music off” that this would have generated just as much racist value or would it have been laughed off?

hard to say, there haven't even been 10 black coaches in the history of the NHL so it would be a rare event indeed. 

Oh, and reverse racism isn't a thing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

completely different situation, imo.  Dick move by Babcock, but not comparable to overt racism

It has nothing to do with racism. I making the comparison to point out how Marner and Akim both had to think about what the impact of speaking out would be on their young careers.

• Upvote 2

On top of the overt racism, people need to think about the power dynamics in place here.

Speaking up against a racist stranger is completely different than speaking up against a racist superior who has influence over how you make a living. Aka your career.

Hockey culture amplifies this power dynamic even more and is more obvious compared to other professional sports.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Upvote 3

IMO Peters should be held accountable and if he doesn't resign, the Flames should let him go.  

However, I do believe in redemption and if Peters can prove he has changed and shows it by his actions, I wouldn't held it against anybody for bringing him back in a few years.  I mean, even though Keefe was a teenager, he's a good example of redemption and I think his story can inspire a lot of people who have done shady stuff in the past.

• Upvote 2