The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

56 minutes ago, stawns said:

imo, he's done.  There's no way that is tolerated by the Flames, the NHL, or the hockey community, in general.  Thatwasn't said in a joking manner, it was hate speech plain and simple.

Totally. Cant see how this will be tolerated.

Guy seems like a real jerk with this other stuff coming out aswell.

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Cracker is clearly not as bad of a word since you're willing to say it.

before he went off and embarrassed himself, Louis CK had a hilarious bit about how the worst thing you could call a white person was "cracker"

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Easy to talk about courage behind a keyboard.  Not everybody deals with abuse, racism, violence, etc. the same way.  Some people stand up rightaway, others shut up and put up until they can't no more.     Some people stand up but are rejected because the abuser is so powerful that he can get away with it (i.e. Weinstein), deterring other victims from speaking up.  

That wasn't the point of my argument, but ok?!?  My point was to show you that the PEters incident didn't happen in another era, it happened recently with many similar examples.  You seemed to think it happending in the 1950s.  Every case is handle differently, there is not an universal rule.  But clearly, your message to victims is speak now or forever hold your peace, and let your abuser/agressor/etc. get away with it.

from what I read and I could be right or wrong, is Peters supposedly  said n#$%^ music not that Akim was . and I just can't get by the fact this was so long ago,  if indeed it was true.

• Wat 4
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bree2 said:

from what I read and I could be right or wrong, is Peters supposedly  said n#$%^ music not that Akim was . and I just can't get by the fact this was so long ago,  if indeed it was true.

It really wasn't that long ago, tho. Certainly not so long ago to not know using that term isn't appropriate. Aliu was also playing in different pro leagues up to last year, so he had reason to stay quiet given how people that speak up have been treated or could be treated. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're hung up on this idea of timing. Who cares if he needed to wait until his playing career was over? maybe things have also changed to where he thinks someone will finally listen to him too. Maybe he's thinking of becoming a coach, wasn't sure if coming forward would kill his career. Who knows? But its his right to speak up when he wants to.

Not sure what point you're actually trying to make. 

A lot more information has come out since I made that post and as a result, my position on this all has changed. 

Initially I was just curious why he took so long (because the information wasn't available when this thread started). At first glance it seemed that Ailu came out with the statement to try and Peter's to get fired. 

However, now that more information has come out, my position has changed and it is pretty clear why Ailu took so long to come out with this. 

14 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

No , because the word "cracker" does not come with the history of centuries of severe physical and sexual abuse, torture, murder  and enslavement of an entire race of people simply because of the color of their skin.

winner GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hard to say, there haven't even been 10 black coaches in the history of the NHL so it would be a rare event indeed. 

Oh, and reverse racism isn't a thing. 

Racism is racism, no one gets a free pass.  I don't care about what term gets used.  Case in point that writer for the New York Times and her history of racist tweets.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Racism is racism, no one gets a free pass.  I don't care about what term gets used.  Case in point that writer for the New York Times and her history of racist tweets.  

some things are worse than others and have a greater weight to them. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if this is taking a long time because the F'Lames are trying to fire Peters with cause and get out from paying him the rest of his contract? 

I think that's exactly it. Peters must have lawyered up.

He's coached his last game as Flames coach. And his last game as an NHL coach.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if this is taking a long time because the F'Lames are trying to fire Peters with cause and get out from paying him the rest of his contract? 

I think it has more to do about finding out the details about the closed door meeting between Aliu and Peters. There was likely more said during that meeting than simply, 

When Peters then called Aliu into his office to talk about it, Aliu said Peters did not apologize. Instead, Peters again expressed his displeasure in Aliu’s choice of music for the dressing room, with Aliu saying Peters said: “You know, I’m just sick of this n----- s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

Now, I’m not saying Peters did or did not apologize. However, I doubt the meeting started and stopped with these two, short sentences. Was it really an 8 second conversation, or was more actually said? The Flames are likely trying to find out those details. Especially because, like Aliu stated, if Peters only apologized, he wouldn’t have brought this up. It’s possible Peters did apologize, it may not have been sincere, it may have been too quick to hear. Who knows right now. But that’s likely what they are trying to find out.

• Upvote 1