The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He may have been a cheap shot artist but saying he has zero credibility is false. He's done a lot of good work regarding mental health, head trauma and cbd as alternatives to painkillers since leaving the NHL...

He admitted to trying to inflict brain injuries on said players I seem to recall.  I'll give him credit to owning up to it but that's about it.

Now if my recollection is off and/or incorrect; I'll take back what I said (he was still a cheapshot artist as a NHLer though).  If Marchand made an argument and Iginla made an opposing argument; I would tend to believe the later at least initially to due to bias (of which I''ll admit).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The story is corroborated and, at the time, the captain even had a private meeting with Peter's about it

Yes, but again 10 years on and the accuracy of the accounts are questionable unless recorded and documented.  This is why they have statute of limitations in criminal cases in most countries.  

Peters should have probably said something like 'I don't agree with playing music in the change room that degrades people of color and is homophobic and misogynistic'.  But what do you expect from a hockey coach or in a locker room.  Was Peter's language consistent with the language of a lot of hip hop and the type that was being played in the dressing room - probably.  If that is the case then quite problematic to suggest he is being racist.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, samurai said:

Yes, but again 10 years on and the accuracy of the accounts are questionable unless recorded and documented.  This is why they have statute of limitations in criminal cases in most countries.  

Peters should have probably said something like 'I don't agree with playing music in the change room that degrades people of color and is homophobic and misogynistic'.  But what do you expect from a hockey coach or in a locker room.  Was Peter's language consistent with the language of a lot of hip hop and the type that was being played in the dressing room - probably.  If that is the case then quite problematic to suggest he is being racist.  

:picard:

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Is there a difference between being a racist and saying something deemed 'racist'? 

35 minutes ago, smokes said:

Not anymore

10 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Not in this day and age

Seems to be going that way.

I guess the follow-up would be, is it important to have a distinction there? I'd think yes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bree2 said:

it was 10 years ago. he held his silence for ten long years and never told anyone? why is everyone just taking his side, when they haven't heard both sides. doesn't seem fair to me. I am not crazy about Peters, but I will wait judgement until all the facts are in and they certainly are not all in yet!

well, I think because its corroborated by players at the time. I'm sure he told friends, family, etc. but he already had one bad experience with that hazing incident so maybe he didn't want to go through it again?

I do belive in giving people a chance at their side and also for forgiveness if they are sincerely sorry, so we'll see what Peters says. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This is waste of time.  You can cry foul over cancel culture and a bitter player who didn't make it.  You and a few others here simply don't understand why it's a serious abuse of power for a manager or coach to abuse his employees/players, and why someone would remain silent about it.  A bunch of people here spelled it out for you... and you straight-up ignored them.  So now people are going at you for your ignorance.  You're going to have to deal with it.

I am not talking about others anymore, I am talking about you. What gives you the right to attack me just because you have a difference of opinion than I do. I'm calling foul on you. Are you trying to bully me into your way of thinking? I understand the abuse of power thing but I also understand to handle my own business instead of airing out my dirty laundry. I did not ignore the others, as I said there is difference of opinion.

4 minutes ago, smokes said:

I am not talking about others anymore, I am talking about you. What gives you the right to attack me just because you have a difference of opinion than I do. I'm calling foul on you. Are you trying to bully me into your way of thinking? I understand the abuse of power thing but I also understand to handle my own business instead of airing out my dirty laundry. I did not ignore the others, as I said there is difference of opinion.

Its not an attack if its true. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe I listened to way too much rap music growing up. But that word just doesn't seem like a big deal to me, hip hop culture has almost desensitized the original meaning.  It's more the fact that it's a personal attack in my opinion than racism. 

More gasoline on calgary's tire fire. A coaching change might do them well though at this point.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Toews said:

Its not the fact that you lack empathy, its the fact that you lack any shame. You have already embarrassed yourself enough in this thread but yet here you are still posting, oblivious to how asinine you sound.

Go ahead, just try and mock a guy that has faced more in his life than you can scarcely imagine. 

Chicago Blackhawks winger Daniel Carcillo wassuspended for six games by the NHL on Monday, after his after-the-whistle cross-check to the arm injured Mathieu Perreault of the Winnipeg Jets. .

Jan. 2015: Chicago Blackhawks (Six games for cross-checking Mathieu Perreault)

May 2014: New York Rangers (Six games for abuse of officials)

Jan. 2012: Chicago Blackhawks  (Seven for boarding Tom Gilbert)

Oct. 2011: Chicago Blackhawks  (Two games, hit from behind on Joni Pitkanen)

May 2011: Philadelphia Flyers (Two games off-ice actions; engaged in “aggressive behavior and inappropriate conduct directed at the officials between periods)

March 2010: Philadelphia Flyers (Two games for an illegal cross-check to the head of David Clarkson)

Dec. 2009: Philadelphia Flyers (Four for punch to face of Matt Bradley)

April 2009: Philadelphia Flyers (One game for a punch and/or butt-end of the stick to the face of Max Talbot off the faceoff.)

Oct 2008: Phoenix Coyotes (Two games for leaving bench to fight with Ben Eager)

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/why-does-dan-carcillo-have-a-job-in-the-nhl-174217202.html

Yes Carcillo was a angle

56 minutes ago, Toews said:

Its not the fact that you lack empathy, its the fact that you lack any shame. You have already embarrassed yourself enough in this thread but yet here you are still posting, oblivious to how asinine you sound.

Go ahead, just try and mock a guy that has faced more in his life than you can scarcely imagine. 

and plus look at Flury twitter and you will see the type of person he is

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

Chicago Blackhawks winger Daniel Carcillo wassuspended for six games by the NHL on Monday, after his after-the-whistle cross-check to the arm injured Mathieu Perreault of the Winnipeg Jets. .

Jan. 2015: Chicago Blackhawks (Six games for cross-checking Mathieu Perreault)

May 2014: New York Rangers (Six games for abuse of officials)

Jan. 2012: Chicago Blackhawks  (Seven for boarding Tom Gilbert)

Oct. 2011: Chicago Blackhawks  (Two games, hit from behind on Joni Pitkanen)

May 2011: Philadelphia Flyers (Two games off-ice actions; engaged in “aggressive behavior and inappropriate conduct directed at the officials between periods)

March 2010: Philadelphia Flyers (Two games for an illegal cross-check to the head of David Clarkson)

Dec. 2009: Philadelphia Flyers (Four for punch to face of Matt Bradley)

April 2009: Philadelphia Flyers (One game for a punch and/or butt-end of the stick to the face of Max Talbot off the faceoff.)

Oct 2008: Phoenix Coyotes (Two games for leaving bench to fight with Ben Eager)

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/why-does-dan-carcillo-have-a-job-in-the-nhl-174217202.html

Yes Carcillo was a angle

I was referring to Fleury. Your nonsense about this being "all of the plug" needed to be refuted. 

• Cheers 1