The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

from just looking threw these pages I've heard stories of crawford I didn't know and the sutters well I got nothin to say there....

but the part I don't get is didn't the captain talk to coach after this happen?and if so why is this coming out now if the team dealt with it behind closed doors?

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

I love that quote. According to @smokes, the definition of freedom is being "allowed to leave the country". This explains why he refused to acknowledge in a previous discussion the inalienable rights that are given to every citizen in a free and democratic country. Apparently that doesn't mean much because of our squabbling politicians. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

10 years ago he was a kid trying to make it as a pro athlete......  a very precarious situation to be in.  To be labelled as a coach killer... anti team kind of a player would have been the end of his career instantly. 

It makes total sense for him to wait until his pro hockey aspiration were done... 10 years later makes total sense.

Especially given there were already some questions after the Downie incident.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

10 years ago or not, if it is in fact validated there is no excuse for that behaviour. The Flames need to do the right thing and fire him. Or if he has any dignity he should resign. 

I have zero tolerance for discrimination against people for cultural differences or their choice of lifestyle. Racism and Homophobia are still present as much as we try to ignore it. It’s just as much of a problem in sports compared to any environment like school or workplace. 

And this IMO is why we should encourage an openness in our society where everyone feels it’s safe to express their opinion.  Then we can discuss differing views (like racist and homophobic ones) and educate those who have those beliefs.  We are definitely not born racist, or hating others.  That’s learned.  And because it’s learned it can be unlearned.  Or at least discussed.  

For Peters he needs to move on to a different job.  He needs to listen to others and learn from them.  If he does that’s great.  If he chooses to be who he is now, that’s okay too.  We know who he is.  That’s what’s important.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

from just looking threw these pages I've heard stories of crawford I didn't know and the sutters well I got nothin to say there....

but the part I don't get is didn't the captain talk to coach after this happen?and if so why is this coming out now if the team dealt with it behind closed doors?

The Blackhawks have claimed they were unaware this incident occurred and were not informed about it. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I think because of the Marner/Babcock situation.  He probably felt it was the right time to share his story and try to help move the culture of hockey in a different direction.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Toews said:

The Blackhawks have claimed they were unaware this incident occurred and were not informed about it. 

Smart play by the Hawks but I don't buy that...it happened in the locker room with people in there....

and the captain and the coached talked about it so I would say the ahl Gm knew atleast. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think because of the Marner/Babcock situation.  He probably felt it was the right time to share his story and try to help move the culture of hockey in a different direction.

Okay let me ask a dumb question....Simmonds and E Kane and Subban have along spoken about this over the years , we all knew about this going on in the game. 

The game has changed a lot and same with the culture but I agree what happens in the locker room should stay there(which I mean the press and fans don't need to know what's going on in there) these guys are all pros , so they should act like them and if a player has a problem go to the Gm or call the players board. 

So I guess my question is how does this change or benefit the NHL? 

• Upvote 1

I haven’t looked back through the 20 pages but Treliving has to own some of this right?  He hired a guy without a full coaching search. Claimed he was “his guy”. He didn’t know his reputation?  Not just the racist remarks but the other things coming out?  Come on man.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Smart play by the Hawks but I don't buy that...it happened in the locker room with people in there....

and the captain and the coached talked about it so I would say the ahl Gm knew atleast. 

Going simply off the allegations, Aliu never complained to anyone and it was only addressed the once in a closed door meeting between the captain and the coach. Aliu does not mention anyone else being part of this discussion. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

Okay let me ask a dumb question....Simmonds and E Kane and Subban have along spoken about this over the years , we all knew about this going on in the game. 

The game has changed a lot and same with the culture but I agree what happens in the locker room should stay there(which I mean the press and fans don't need to know what's going on in there) these guys are all pros , so they should act like them and if a player has a problem go to the Gm or call the players board. 

Perhaps shedding the light to unacceptable behaviors from Coaches will no longer be tolerated.  And showing the newer generation of coaches that they will be held accountable to their past actions.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Going simply off the allegations, Aliu never complained to anyone and it was only addressed the once in a closed door meeting between the captain and the coach. Aliu does not mention anyone else being part of this discussion. 

Going another dumb question did peters stop after confronted?

7 minutes ago, Stelar said:

I haven’t looked back through the 20 pages but Treliving has to own some of this right?  He hired a guy without a full coaching search. Claimed he was “his guy”. He didn’t know his reputation?  Not just the racist remarks but the other things coming out?  Come on man.

Maybe it’s time for the Flame’s owner to clean out his mess and get a new GM and coach?  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Because young kids are, literally, at the mercy of these guys in power positions and that power is often abused........severely in some cases.  That's a chapter of the culture that needs to close imo. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Perhaps shedding the light to unacceptable behaviors from Coaches will no longer be tolerated.  And showing the newer generation of coaches that they will be held accountable to their past actions.

I agree but there could be some serious horror stories come out...

times have changed a lot so what was acceptable in the 90s may not be acceptable now but the person didn't know any better at the time does that make him or her a bad person?