The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He said it to a black guy, did you miss that part?

Sorry, but when you mean 'black guy' you are talking about Akim Aliu right?  He is an actual person and not some caricature.  

Nice job shooting yourself in the foot.  

13 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Going another dumb question did peters stop after confronted?

Aliu only mentions the one incident. I would be curious what the discussion was like between the team captain and Peters, whether Peters sounded contrite etc. He is clearly an abusive man who has harmed a whole bunch of kids, as much as his actions should be repudiated, I do personally hope he can find help for his issues. We have a problem with the culture itself that needs to be addressed and this Peters situation certainly isn't isolated. Its cyclical, where the abusers have also been abused when they were young. I really do hope that more people speak about such incidents in their life. Men are taught wrongly to ignore and bottle up these issues or be perceived as "weak". This isn't a hockey culture thing either, its the way we as men define masculinity. Men are more prone to addiction, more likely to commit suicide etc all because we are taught not to process our emotions. 

Edited by Toews
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree but there could be some serious horror stories come out...

times have changed a lot so what was acceptable in the 90s may not be acceptable now but the person didn't know any better at the time does that make him or her a bad person?

The very first day I got to the W, I had a teammate tell me "if possible don't ever, ever go into the GM's office on your own" and we almost always went in with a teammate.  

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree but there could be some serious horror stories come out...

times have changed a lot so what was acceptable in the 90s may not be acceptable now but the person didn't know any better at the time does that make him or her a bad person?

In the 90s, you would (or should) still know what is acceptable behavior or not.

Is he a bad person?  I'm not qualified to answer that.  I'm pretty sure I've done stupid things in the past but then again I've never been in a position of power and exert that power over a youth/young adult.

Is he remorseful and apologetic of his actions? If so, then perhaps he is deserving of forgiveness.   But it's not my forgiveness that he should be asking for.  It would be to the players that he hurt with his actions. 

Just now, Stelar said:

Wow, we agree on something 

Absolutely on this one.  This Peters guy was surely saying a lot more than just this one vile comment to his players.  Heck, he was kicking players and fighting with them in Carolina.  If I’m the Flames owner I’d axe both the coach and the GM.  I’d beg Iggy to come be the team President.  And promote a coach from within to carry the team for the rest of the season.  Iggy could find a GM over the next little while.  I’m sure they have an assistant GM who could steer the ship for a couple months.  

I think a strong message needs to be sent here.  The Calgary Flames (and the NHL) do not put up with this type of behaviour.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

Aliu only mentions the one incident. I would be curious what the discussion was like between the team captain and Peters, whether Peters sounded contrite etc. He is clearly an abusive man who has harmed a whole bunch of kids, as much as his actions should be repudiated, I do personally hope he can find help for his issues. We have a problem with the culture itself that needs to be addressed and this Peters situation certainly isn't isolated. Its cyclical, where the abusers have also been abused when they were young. I really do hope that more people speak about such incidents in their life. Men are taught wrongly to ignore and bottle up these issues or be perceived as "weak". This isn't a hockey culture thing either, its the way we as men define masculinity. Men are more prone to addiction, more likely to commit suicide etc all because we are taught not to process our emotions. 

This is brilliant, and deserves more than a simple thumbs up.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

In the 90s, you would (or should) still know what is acceptable behavior or not.

Is he a bad person?  I'm not qualified to answer that.  I'm pretty sure I've done stupid things in the past but then again I've never been in a position of power and exert that power over a youth/young adult.

Is he remorseful and apologetic of his actions? If so, then perhaps he is deserving of forgiveness.   But it's not my forgiveness that he should be asking for.  It would be to the players that he hurt with his actions. 

What I meant by acceptable is there was terms and slang used back then that wouldn't fly today.....

you bring up apologetic, that's why I asked in another post if he stopped after being confronted....

4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

What I meant by acceptable is there was terms and slang used back then that wouldn't fly today.....

you bring up apologetic, that's why I asked in another post if he stopped after being confronted....

Even in the 90s, you would know the n* word should not be used.  I grew up knowing that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Even in the 90s, you would know the n* word should not be used.  I grew up knowing that. 

That word felt wrong even in the 50’s.  It’s a word we just didn’t use.  I don’t think even CBS had Archie Bunker ever say that word, did they?  The feel to that word to me is vile.  

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Seems to me this in a way goes back to ownership. Why do I say that? 

Even before BT the Flames have a history of hiring hard nosed coaches and quickly firing those that were not. The last good guy I remember was Badger Bob. 

Would be interesting to see Burke's take given the fact he brought in BT. 

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Yes but the N word isn't the only word that shouldn't be used....I can think of acouple more. 

I was also taught don't let your mouth write checks your a$$ couldnt cash.....so if you use the N word better be able to stand

behind it. 

even today what about the Cowboys that hear broke back mountain jokes at work everyday? Or hillbilly or white trash.....Don't have to use the N word or swears to cut someone. 

So your saying you never heard slang from your parents or grand parents that wouldn't fly today?

heck what about all the crap simmonds and e Kane and rest of the guys that went threw this but used it to grow and used as fuel......I agree the old school coaching won't last cause the new kids coming into the NHL is different , so the coaches everyone wants gone will be gone soon enough, just takes time just like the fourth line grinds. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BPA said:

depends where you grew up.  If you came from a place where that group wasn't represented nor had any history in the region than you wouldn't expect people to use it or really know what it meant outside of the literal meaning.  Lots of kids grow up listening to hip and not knowing the connotations of the n word.  

Edited by samurai
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Yes but the N word isn't the only word that shouldn't be used....I can think of acouple more. 

I was also taught don't let your mouth write checks your a$$ couldnt cash.....so if you use the N word better be able to stand

behind it. 

even today what about the Cowboys that hear broke back mountain jokes at work everyday? Or hillbilly or white trash.....Don't have to use the N word or swears to cut someone. 

So your saying you never heard slang from your parents or grand parents that wouldn't fly today?

heck what about all the crap simmonds and e Kane and rest of the guys that went threw this but used it to grow and used as fuel......I agree the old school coaching won't last cause the new kids coming into the NHL is different , so the coaches everyone wants gone will be gone soon enough, just takes time just like the fourth line grinds. 

This reads like a rap song.  It’s cool.  I don’t really comprehend it all, but I like it.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That word felt wrong even in the 50’s.  It’s a word we just didn’t use.  I don’t think even CBS had Archie Bunker ever say that word, did they?  The feel to that word to me is vile.  

I as well. I swear a lot and I am in no way politically correct. I joke around a lot and some of my kidding around would be frowned upon. But, I don't use the N word. It's like hitting a female. You just don't go there. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3